Hanging out in Queens

samhexum

If you or someone you know is at risk of suicide, please call or text 988 to reach the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline).  The hotline offers 24/7 call, text and chat access to trained crisis counselors who can help people experiencing suicidal, substance use, and/or mental health crisis, or any other kind of emotional distress. People can also dial 988 if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.

15 hours ago, nycman said:

I thought it was too make fun of Queens.

‘This is my love letter to my hometown’: Ray Romano’s directorial debut ‘Somewhere in Queens’ has special screening in Manhattan

The cast of “Somewhere in Queens,” a new family comedy-drama set in “The World’s Borough” marking Ray Romano’s directorial debut, appeared at a special film screening in Manhattan on Monday, April 18.

The new flick tells the story of an Italian-American family living in Queens who are torn apart when their son Sticks (Jacob Ward) faces a big setback after finding success on his high school basketball team. Sticks is on the path to a college sports scholarship but loses interest in the sport when his girlfriend breaks up with him, and so Romano — who plays Sticks’ father, Leo — goes to unexpected lengths to keep his son focused on the game and his future.

The film will be released in theaters on Friday, April 21, and also stars actors such as Jennifer Esposito, Laurie Metcalf, Sadie Stanley, Tony Lo Bianco, Deirdre Friel and Jon Manfrellotti, all of whom were in attendance. Rose Byrne was also in attendance, although she does not appear in the movie.

Romano, who grew up in Forest Hills and shot to fame in the 1990s for the TV sitcom ‘Everybody Loves Raymond,’ also co-wrote the script to ‘Somewhere in Queens.

“This is my love letter to my hometown Queens,” Romano told Schneps Media at the screening. “I still consider it my home. I live in L.A. now, but the Queens is still in me.”

“It was just a great neighborhood,” Romano added. “You knew everyone on the block. You had the pizza place, the schoolyard to hang out — it was very diverse.”

Romano said the movie contains a lot of family fun and draws on his own experiences growing up in Queens and being a father to a son who played basketball.

“There are pieces from my life, some big, some small,” Romano said. “My son was a high school basketball player who graduated, and when that was coming to an end, I was sad. And so we made a story out of that, about a guy that all he has in his life is his son playing basketball.”

“Of course, I grew up in an Italian American Queens household, so I brought all those elements in also,” Romano added.

Romano said that much of the movie was shot in various neighborhoods throughout Queens.

“The houses that we film in are all in Middle Village, where I moved to after I got married,” Romano said. “We drive by Dominick’s Hotdogs [hot dog truck] on Woodhaven Boulevard. We pass Citi Field where the Mets play… we’re scattered all over Queens.”

Some scenes were also shot in Astoria, according to several cast members.

Romano said Sticks plays with the Glendale Cougars high school basketball team in the movie. The hoops scenes were filmed at Christ the King Regional High School in Middle Village. The school is an arch-rival to Archbishop Molloy High School in Briarwood, where Romano attended. and I lived across from for 6 years

In the movie, Leo lives a simple life in Queens with his wife Angela (Laurie Metcalf), his only child Sticks, and Leo’s close-knit network of Italian American relatives and neighborhood friends. Leo is content working at the family construction business alongside his father (Tony Lo Bianco) and younger brother (Sebastian Maniscalco) and lives each week for Sticks’ high-school basketball games, never missing a chance to cheer on his only child as he rules the court.

Sticks, the shy star player for the Glendale Cougars high school basketball team, then gets a surprising and life-changing opportunity to play basketball in college via a sports scholarship and Leo jumps at the chance to provide a plan for his son’s future, and away from the family construction business.

But Sticks is overcome with heartbreak when his girlfriend Dani (Sadie Stanley) breaks up with him, which threatens to derail Leo’s plans for his son. Leo then comes up with extraordinary ways to keep his son on the steady path he has laid out for him.

‘Somewhere in Queens’ marks Romano’s first movie as a director, although he said it was not his initial intention when he wrote the script along with co-writer Mark Stegemann.

“I had no plans at all to direct and my agent suggested I should do it because it’s a personal story and he twisted my arm pretty good because I was scared,” Romano said.

After agreeing to direct the movie, Romano said he was daunted at the challenge before him.

“Leading up to it I was a wreck, and then once we started it all went away. The actors were great, and I was happy I did it,” Romano said. “After I was finished, I was happy that I took it on. I would do it again, it’s something I’ve never done before so I have to say it’s an experience of a lifetime.

Romano urged people of all ages to come out and see the movie.

“Yes, please come out and see it … But you don’t [have] to be from Queens to see it. It’s just fun if you are.”

Romano

2 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Totally agree and love eating through that neighborhood.  The Korean fare is legit.

Korean BBQ grilled up right at Murray Hill’s Mapo II

http://Golden Piggy: Authentic Korean BBQ in Bayside

http://Bayside’s Mister Seoul serves up soulful Korean barbecue

Cozy Korean cuisine: Hidden gem in Sunnyside offers Korean comfort food

http://Dining Out: Jong Ga: Satisfying Korean barbecue spot in Flushing

http://Check out these 10 amazing places in Flushing to grab a flavorful bite to eat

http://Korean fried chicken spot in Douglaston among Queens’ hottest new restaurants

This chicken rocks, y’all!

Eater editors just named Rokstar Chicken – a Korean fried chicken quick-service, takeout and delivery spot in Douglaston – among the 15 hottest new restaurants in Queens.

Owner Mark Lee — who noted that the “Rok” in Rokstar stands for Republic of Korea (R.O.K.) — bravely forged ahead and launched his new business in December 2021, amid the ongoing pandemic, because he knew that folks in Queens couldn’t get enough of that “down-home” Korean comfort food.

It’s a New York brand with Korean roots,” Lee said. “Our goal is to globalize Korean fried chicken, and continue to introduce and share our culture with the world through the best way possible: food. And what better food than fried chicken?”

Lee told Eater the main focus of the restaurant is high-quality food.

It’ll make you feel like a rockstar,” he said.

You can find Rokstar Chicken, conveniently located inside local supermarket Food Bazaar, at 242-02 61st Ave. near Douglaston Parkway.

If you stop by and pick up some fried chicken, you can pair it with your choice of unique sauces, like sweet chili, soy garlic barbecue and spicy ranch. Chicken lovers can get a whole chicken, boneless chicken, tenders or wings, as well as a chicken sandwich and other sides.

According to Lee, their grand opening weekend was “amazing.”

We sold out of our chicken every day during that weekend. It was really good to have all the locals try our chicken and be excited about it,” he said.

A longtime Queens boy who was raised in Flushing and now resides in Bayside, Lee immigrated to the U.S. from South Korea.

“Growing up there, my favorite sport was baseball, and the team to watch was Haitai Tigers, representing my hometown, Kwang Ju. They were champions year after year,” Lee said. “When I was 10, I remember going to watch one of their playoff games. The energy was insane, kinda like New Yorkers whenever the Knicks win. But apart from the cheers and smiles, I noticed what seemed like every single person in that stadium had by their side: fried chicken — of course, with a beer.”

Korean fried chicken has been around since the 1970s and since then has been a staple in Korean culture and lifestyle. Enjoyed as a meal, snack or anju (food served with drinks), it has become a comfort food for many people.

So, why are critics calling Rokstar Chicken one of the hottest restaurants in Queens?

“We are bringing Korean flavors with New York attitude! Our chickens are made fresh to order, so it’s juicy, tender, light and very crispy,” Lee said. “We source all our ingredients and work with one of the best manufacturers from Korea.”

Lee and his team have many years of experience in the restaurant industry. He also owns a sweets shop called Spot Dessert Bar in Flushing and the East Village, which he has operated for over 11 years. One reviewer described it as “fun and ultra-Instagrammable.”

Rokstar Chicken is open Monday through Sunday, from noon to 9 p.m. Prices range from $8 to $35 for a full size box. 

“What’s my ultimate goal? Think Shake Shack but Korean fried chicken,” Lee said. “Let’s ROK the world together!”

21_0901_Rockstar_Chicken2868-800x1200.jpg

FullSizeRender-14-933x1200.jpg

40 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Especially with the title "Hanging out in Queens."

It's called click-bait.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Good taste is overrated.

As my friend Charlie the Tuna used to be told frequently, Starkist doesn't want tuna with good taste, Starkist wants tuna that tastes good.

I think that says it all.

I think the reference to bad taste was in reference to the original post and the title of the thread. REALLY bad taste. And to use someone’s suicide as so-called “click bait” … jeeeez.

49 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I would spend more time in Queens if I could find cuties like this juicy young actor. Who is he ?

Who Is Jacob Ward? 

Jacob Ward is a talented actor, director, and producer known for TV projects such as Got Off on the Wrong Foot (2019), Forever & Always (2020), Gutted (2022), and others.  Jacob Ward has yet to be featured on Wikipedia.

The talented actor was raised by his parents in the United States of America. However, the identity of his parents is unknown to the media. Jacob likes to keep his personal life a secret and avoid media eyes. Jacob Ward's exact birthdate, age, and zodiac sign remain a mystery.  The actor is married. He tied the knot to his on June 19, 2021 in Park City, Utah in the presence of their family and friends.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:54 AM, cany10011 said:

The Noguchi museum in Astoria is amazing. Love the Egyptian food there as well. I’d love to visit Flushing for their superior chinese restaurants but it is a chore taking the 7. Going to Flushing is a foodie adventure. 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:33 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Totally agree and love eating through that neighborhood.  The Korean fare is legit.

The Queens Chamber of Commerce is offering its congratulations to the 19 Queens restaurants that were featured on the New York Times’ “100 Best Restaurants in NYC” list.

Based on his decade of writing reviews, restaurant critic Pete Wells compiled the restaurant list and ranked the city’s top restaurants. Though the No. 1 spot went to Manhattan’s Tatiana by Kwame Onwuachi, two Queens restaurants cracked the top 10: Flushing’s CheLi, which was No. 8 on the list, and Queens Night Market, which was ranked No. 9.

Making their way into the top 20 restaurants were Elmhurst’s Zaab Zaab (No. 14) and Birria-Landia (No. 18) in Jackson Heights.

Further down on the list was Tacos El Borrego in Corona (No. 30), Adda Indian Canteen in Long Island City (No. 35),  Chongqing Lao Zao in Flushing (No. 46), Corona Plaza Vendors in Corona (No. 48), and M. Wells in Long Island City (No. 50).

Also included on the top 100 list was Don Peppe in Ozone Park (No. 56), Forever Jerk in Springfield Gardens (No. 62), Mariscos El Submarino in Jackson Heights (No. 71), AbuQir Seafood in Astoria (No. 75), Pata Paplean Bar in Elmhurst (No. 78), Mapo Korean Barbeque in Flushing (No. 81), Szechuan Mountain House in Flushing (No. 90),  Temple Canteen in Flushing (No. 96), Caleta 111 in Richmond Hill (No. 99), and Zum Stammtisch in Glendale (No. 100).

On 4/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, samhexum said:

This chicken rocks, y’all!

FullSizeRender-14-933x1200.jpg

I told @jjkrkwood about this place months ago.  He attempted to try it, but...

I did go there around 5 pm on a Fri nite,  but it was over 1 hr wait, so I left.   The guy told me that dinner hour is very busy and that I should come late afternoon.

But it sure looks Delicious. 

On 4/28/2023 at 4:19 PM, samhexum said:

The Queens Chamber of Commerce is offering its congratulations to the 19 Queens restaurants that were featured on the New York Times’ “100 Best Restaurants in NYC” list.

When you want amazing Korean food, you always head to Queens.

I've also had some of the best tacos ( for an amazingly cheap price ) great Italian, and Indian food in Queens. Zum Stammtisch is really the only remaining restaurant in NYC that serves good German food.

Edited by pubic_assistance
Spelling

4 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

When you want amazing Koran food, you always head to Queens.

I've also had some of the best tacos ( for an amazingly cheap price ) great Italian, and Indian food in Queens. Zum Stammtisch is really the only remaining restaurant in NYC that serves good German food.

Re: German food

While it's not upscale, Manor Oktoberfest in Forest Hills is also always a solid choice. 

Great beer selection.  Solid, German comfort food favorites.  Nice crew of people who work there.