Hanging out in Queens

samhexum

5 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Meanwhile at the beach:

d9434701-Untitled-1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOX5NY.COM

The incident isn't the first of its kind to happen in New York this summer. Last month, there were three shark...

So, On the Beach should have been filmed in Queens, for the same reasons that Ava Gardner is claimed to have said of Melbourne?

On 5/12/2023 at 5:37 PM, samhexum said:

Terrible, Terrible news - life will never be the same again...

Applebee’s at Bay Terrace Shopping Center closing after 27 years 

What are lovers of fine cuisine to do?

On 5/18/2023 at 3:30 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I remember when I was a teenager thinking Applebee's was good.

Didn't even realize the place was still in business ! Such mediocracy !

Man mistakenly beat down by cops in Applebees with 'baby in his arms' as real hit-and-run culprits hid in bathroom

maybe @pubic_assistance sent the food police after him!

(this happened in Wisconsin, by the way.)

On 6/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, augustus said:

@samhexum I can see that the first cannabis shop has just opened in Queens.   🤔

On 6/28/2023 at 1:55 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

First?  Queens has had smoke/cannabis shops and delivery services since late 2021.

On 6/30/2023 at 5:28 PM, samhexum said:

Roll up! Legal cannabis dispensary in Jamaica using former police car to deliver weed

I think they should go all out and have their drivers wear faux uniforms.

The Hochul administration’s slow rollout of New York’s legal cannabis trade was a real buzzkill — and the market is still far from recovered from it, an industry group says in a stinging “report card.”

The Coalition for Access to Regulated and Safe Cannabis gave the state Office of Cannabis Management the failing grades in various categories.  

newspress-collage-p4fbch36z-169196413621
NYPOST.COM

The Hochul administration's slow rollout of New York's legal cannabis trade was a real buzzkill, and the market...

Flushing Meadows Corona Park now features a home for retired concrete playground animals in a quiet grove just east of the iconic Unisphere. NYC Parks hosted a retirement party for the six whimsical cement sculptures on Aug. 18, complete with party hats and cake, and issued a proclamation honoring the retired animals that graced public parks until they reached their golden years.

“At NYC Parks, our civil servants take many forms: not only park workers, but also the beloved concrete animals children have been playing on for decades in our playgrounds across the city,” NYC Parks Commissioner Sue Donoghue said. “We’re so excited to unveil this new contemplative space in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, as we send some of our hardest-working employees into retirement in style.”

Hailing from all across the city, the six playground sculptures — two dolphins, one elephant, one aardvark, one camel and one frog who until now were living out their last years in storage — will be the first residents in the new retirement home. The grove includes new benches that were installed to add to the contemplative nature of the area. A new accessible pathway has also been added to allow park goers easy access through the area from three separate points. Parks will also be enhancing the existing canopy with additional trees, shrubs, and landscaping elements.

Most of the concrete animals found in the city’s parks today were added in the 1980s and ’90s under former Commissioner Henry Stern, who tasked Parks engineers to incorporate animal art into every new playground project. While some features were designed by staff in-house, most — like the frog, which can be found in many city playgrounds — were prefabricated by manufacturers.

As playgrounds are renovated over time, the concrete animals are often removed, with the blessing of the community members who use the park, to make way for new play features and to add more accessible play space.

Stern died in March 2019, and now his beloved playground animals have their retirement home in his favorite park, Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

“We hope that despite their retirement, they will continue to inspire imagination and creativity in park goers into the future,” Donoghue said.

Visitors can park at the Queens Museum Parking Lot and then walk past the Unisphere to the grove.

DA5_0652_081823-FMCP.jpg   DA5_0645_081823-FMCP.jpg   DA5_0665_081823-FMCP.jpg   DA5_0657_081823-FMCP.jpg

DA5_0787_081823-FMCP-1200x800.jpg
QNS.COM

Flushing Meadows Corona Park now features a home for retired concrete playground animals...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 1:06 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Some of Queens is sketch, but other parts are absolutely beautiful and very, very livable.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:54 AM, cany10011 said:

The Noguchi museum in Astoria is amazing. Love the Egyptian food there as well.

On 4/22/2023 at 7:10 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I would spend more time in Queens if I could find cuties

CityPickle to open first permanent indoor pickleball club in Long Island City on Friday

dunkin -2

Bayside’s newest Dunkin’ location also features borough’s first Jimmy John’s

A new Dunkin’ Donuts opened its doors in Bayside on Sept. 14 – and will soon feature the borough’s first Jimmy John’s as well. 

Previously there was a Bean Square coffee shop on the corner spot on Northern Boulevard and 211th Street. Unlike the international coffee giant, the shop was independent and roasted their own beans daily on site. They closed over a year ago. 

The new spot will also have a drive-thru in the near future, but for now the window is being used as a pedestrian friendly pickup spot for mobile orders. When the drive-thru does open, a sign will go up outside the front of the store to let drivers know. There is also an outdoor seating area with umbrellas for shade. 

For at least the next week, customers who purchase a sandwich can get a free medium hot coffee as part of the new store’s promotion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 6:54 AM, cany10011 said:

Going to Flushing is a foodie adventure. 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:33 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Totally agree and love eating through that neighborhood. 

On 5/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I've also had some of the best tacos ( for an amazingly cheap price ) great Italian, and Indian food in Queens. 

Sushi

New revolving sushi restaurant Salute opens in Flushing

I'll admit I didn't read the article, but does the entire building revolve or just the restaurant on the first floor?  And does that little area [which I assume will have tables] revolve as well?

10 hours ago, samhexum said:

Sushi

New revolving sushi restaurant Salute opens in Flushing

I'll admit I didn't read the article, but does the entire building revolve or just the restaurant on the first floor?  And does that little area [which I assume will have tables] revolve as well?

Believe, it is "conveyer belt" sushi. A little gimmicky and fun. You order at your table and pick the dishes up as they pass you by on a converyer. In japan, it's considered cheap and what students eat. Something novel and fun but not a really omakase experience...lol. 

12 hours ago, samhexum said:

I always figured you didn't read all the stuff that you constantly post. The answer to this one was right there in the second sentence of the article. 🙄

San Diego Lol GIF by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance

On 9/28/2023 at 5:33 PM, samhexum said:

They shouldn't have had such a misleading headline in the first place.

Nobody who reads restaurant reviews or is familiar with sushi restaurants would have a problem with that title. The concept of restaurants with revolving selections of food is now VERY old in the United States. 

But if one is simply looking for random stories about Queens to promote in a post -- without even reading the openings of those stories -- one would easily make the mistake you did. The headline writers aren't to blame! 😊

18 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

Nobody who reads restaurant reviews or is familiar with sushi restaurants would have a problem with that title. The concept of restaurants with revolving selections of food is now VERY old in the United States. 

But if one is simply looking for random stories about Queens to promote in a post -- without even reading the openings of those stories -- one would easily make the mistake you did. The headline writers aren't to blame! 😊

In probably my favorite SIMPSONS episode, Marge's sister Patty falls in love with Principal Skinner.  He takes her on a date to a revolving restaurant (one that revolves) and tells her "food tastes better when you're revolving."  Anyone who ever saw that episode and heard that pearl of wisdom would make the assumption I did from that thoroughly misleading headline.

'' I suggest we start with the Springfield Revolving Restaurant. You know, food tastes better when you're revolving.

image.png.60b212da51741e41a393c32b1be80af5.png

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

4 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

Now you're really reaching! This is a fictional restaurant on an animated TV series. And it's clearly NOT a sushi restaurant. 

Wrong again! 🤡

I have eaten in one revolving restaurant in my life.  It was in Austria (or somewhere in Europe; it was 32 years ago), several hundred feet in the air, and I'm pretty sure they didn't serve sushi, since most revolving restaurants don't.

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

37 minutes ago, samhexum said:

No, just bored.

27 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

Then try reading the content of what you post! You'll learn a few things. 

How does that relieve boredom?  Are you any less bored or more engaged in life after learning that food tastes better when you're revolving?

I thought not.

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell