Hanging out in Queens

samhexum

On 4/19/2023 at 6:54 AM, cany10011 said:

I’d love to visit Flushing for their superior chinese restaurants but it is a chore taking the 7. Going to Flushing is a foodie adventure. 

18 hours ago, samhexum said:

A pair of “reckless clowns” had a mid-day tryst on the top of a moving subway train in Queens, according to photos of the apparent death-defying sex act.

“Men appear to be having sex on top of a NYC MTA train. What is the MTA doing about this?” an X user posted along with two images showing three people on the roof of a 7 train as it crosses raised tracks above the Van Wyck Expressway.

I see you got over your reluctance to take the 7.  How was the food?

spacer.png

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell

music

street art

New interactive street art “Lights Up” downtown Jamaica 

The Downtown Jamaica Partnership launched three free new interactive street art installations in the heart of downtown Jamaica.

The temporary installment dubbed the ‘‘Light Lane ” features  colorful lights and music that emits from the three stationary bikes that make up the installments.

Interested in taking a ride? The installations can be found at the 165th street mall on Jamaica Avenue and Union Hall street outside of the Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning, and also at the Parsons Boulevard Plaza located between Jamaica and Archer Avenues. The exhibit runs until Mid-March.

jamaica-bike-4.png

On 6/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, augustus said:

@samhexum I can see that the first cannabis shop has just opened in Queens.   🤔

New dispensary in LIC pays homage to NYC Subway

QNS_NYCBud_021624-1.jpg

NYC BudLong Island City’s first legal adult-use cannabis dispensary, opened its Instagram-worthy store on Friday at 44-45 Vernon Blvd.QNS_NYCBud_021624-22.jpg

The store’s design pays homage to the NYC subway, and no attention to detail was spared to create an MTA transit-themed store.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-19.jpg

A green railing fence leads to the store, complete with “subwayish” signage and lighting globe. Upon entering, customers are greeted by “Tokin” booth 420 -the number pays tribute to “Weed Day” on 4/20. The interior is a throwback to an MTA subway station from yesteryear, complete with graffiti from classic ’80s artists, a vintage subway bench, and a graffiti-covered life-sized subway car with moving doors. The ATMs resemble MTA vending machines, and the pick-up counter is designed like an old-fashioned subway newsstand. And since a subway station wouldn’t be complete without its house resident, the rat, interdisciplinary theatre artist Jonothon Lyons, AKA “Buddy the Rat,” entertained the crowd on opening day, complementing the subway atmosphere without the yuck factor. 

Co-owner Jonpaul Pezzo told Queens Courier that he and his co-owners are “old school” New York, and the design pays homage to the city they grew up in.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-7.jpg

“We’re from that era before cell phones,  you know when you rode the subways, that was hanging out, you went to the parks, you did the graffiti and did the drinking,” Pezzo said. “I’m stuck in the past. I listen to old-school music, old-school hip-hop, old-school house, so we just went with that vibe. We’re old; touch on the most iconic thing in New York, which is the subway system.”

QNS_NYCBud_021624-21.jpg

Pezzo explained that they cut up an old bus and refurbished the steel to build the subway car. 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-16.jpg

“We did a lot of research. We went to the Transit Museum, looked at all the old trains; we got it down to the advertising slipping in here for each brand,” Pezzo said.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-14.jpg

Pezzo admitted it was a long and difficult road because of the lawsuits and injunctions.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-10.jpg

“We were in a very unique position that our rent wasn’t that high,” Pezzo said. “Our landlord worked with us and gave us a few months to build out. So we were cutting it close to the edge, and we were really down to fumes in the pockets, but we made it here.”

QNS_NYCBud_021624-15.jpg

The one-of-a-kind dispensary will surely become a destination for content creators and ganja aficionados alike. NYC Bud offers a wide variety of cannabis products ranging from flowers, pre-rolls, and vapes to edibles and tinctures from New York state cannabis growers. 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-6.jpg

Cannabis purveyors Noomi Rana and Zion Voss established their company Zizzle in 2020 and grow their product at their farm in Ithaca. 

Per Voss, Zizzle’s slogan is “New York’s original Cannabis Company.”  The company started with CBD pre-rolls and transitioned to THC pre-rolls and flowers.  

“We’ve been chasing this dream for many, many years,” the Queens native said. “And we’re making it happen here in the communities of New York City and supplying soft genetics and clean, safe cannabis to all of the consumers. And we’re proud to be doing so.”

Voss described NYC Bud’s interior design as revolutionary. 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-20.jpg

The ATM machines resemble MTA vending machines. 

“I think that [NYC Bud] is one of the most creative dispensaries and innovative ideas,” Voss said. “I think they’re breaking through with customer experience. I think something in terms of even tourism plays a factor when you come into a dispensary like this.” 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-13.jpg

The checkout counter at NYC Bud subway-themed cannabis dispensary resembles a subway newsstand.

LICPOST.COM

NYC Bud, Long Island City's first legal adult-use cannabis dispensary, opened its Instagram-worthy store on Friday at...

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

New dispensary in LIC pays homage to NYC Subway

QNS_NYCBud_021624-1.jpg

NYC BudLong Island City’s first legal adult-use cannabis dispensary, opened its Instagram-worthy store on Friday at 44-45 Vernon Blvd.QNS_NYCBud_021624-22.jpg

The store’s design pays homage to the NYC subway, and no attention to detail was spared to create an MTA transit-themed store.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-19.jpg

A green railing fence leads to the store, complete with “subwayish” signage and lighting globe. Upon entering, customers are greeted by “Tokin” booth 420 -the number pays tribute to “Weed Day” on 4/20. The interior is a throwback to an MTA subway station from yesteryear, complete with graffiti from classic ’80s artists, a vintage subway bench, and a graffiti-covered life-sized subway car with moving doors. The ATMs resemble MTA vending machines, and the pick-up counter is designed like an old-fashioned subway newsstand. And since a subway station wouldn’t be complete without its house resident, the rat, interdisciplinary theatre artist Jonothon Lyons, AKA “Buddy the Rat,” entertained the crowd on opening day, complementing the subway atmosphere without the yuck factor. 

Co-owner Jonpaul Pezzo told Queens Courier that he and his co-owners are “old school” New York, and the design pays homage to the city they grew up in.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-7.jpg

“We’re from that era before cell phones,  you know when you rode the subways, that was hanging out, you went to the parks, you did the graffiti and did the drinking,” Pezzo said. “I’m stuck in the past. I listen to old-school music, old-school hip-hop, old-school house, so we just went with that vibe. We’re old; touch on the most iconic thing in New York, which is the subway system.”

QNS_NYCBud_021624-21.jpg

Pezzo explained that they cut up an old bus and refurbished the steel to build the subway car. 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-16.jpg

“We did a lot of research. We went to the Transit Museum, looked at all the old trains; we got it down to the advertising slipping in here for each brand,” Pezzo said.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-14.jpg

Pezzo admitted it was a long and difficult road because of the lawsuits and injunctions.

QNS_NYCBud_021624-10.jpg

“We were in a very unique position that our rent wasn’t that high,” Pezzo said. “Our landlord worked with us and gave us a few months to build out. So we were cutting it close to the edge, and we were really down to fumes in the pockets, but we made it here.”

QNS_NYCBud_021624-15.jpg

The one-of-a-kind dispensary will surely become a destination for content creators and ganja aficionados alike. NYC Bud offers a wide variety of cannabis products ranging from flowers, pre-rolls, and vapes to edibles and tinctures from New York state cannabis growers. 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-6.jpg

Cannabis purveyors Noomi Rana and Zion Voss established their company Zizzle in 2020 and grow their product at their farm in Ithaca. 

Per Voss, Zizzle’s slogan is “New York’s original Cannabis Company.”  The company started with CBD pre-rolls and transitioned to THC pre-rolls and flowers.  

“We’ve been chasing this dream for many, many years,” the Queens native said. “And we’re making it happen here in the communities of New York City and supplying soft genetics and clean, safe cannabis to all of the consumers. And we’re proud to be doing so.”

Voss described NYC Bud’s interior design as revolutionary. 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-20.jpg

The ATM machines resemble MTA vending machines. 

“I think that [NYC Bud] is one of the most creative dispensaries and innovative ideas,” Voss said. “I think they’re breaking through with customer experience. I think something in terms of even tourism plays a factor when you come into a dispensary like this.” 

QNS_NYCBud_021624-13.jpg

The checkout counter at NYC Bud subway-themed cannabis dispensary resembles a subway newsstand.

LICPOST.COM

NYC Bud, Long Island City's first legal adult-use cannabis dispensary, opened its Instagram-worthy store on Friday at...

Wow, A++ on design.

Let’s hope they’re just as astute at running a business.

It’s a potential major home run. 

Flushing shoe store opens baseball batting cages on site as part of unique business venture 

Korean restaurant chain Bonchon opens new location at Queens Center Mall 

Bayside’s first legal marijuana dispensary ‘New Metro’ pays ode to print newspapers 

On 2/19/2024 at 7:12 PM, augustus said:

@samhexum Wow, how cool is that.  There must be some big investors involved here.  

On 2/19/2024 at 8:23 PM, nycman said:

Wow, A++ on design.

Let’s hope they’re just as astute at running a business.

It’s a potential major home run. 

Almost two decades ago, as a fresh-faced teenager who just graduated from Cardozo High School, Sean Kang was arrested on cannabis charges near his Bayside home. 

On Monday he felt a sense of justice as he opened the doors to the area’s first legal dispensary – New Metro on Horace Harding Expressway. The newspaper themed dispensary, which used to be a hot yoga studio, is the last store on a tucked away strip with several Asian restaurants. One of Kang’s arrests for possession took place just a block away. 

Kang was one of the recipients of the Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary (CUARD) license which gave individuals impacted by the criminalization of marijuana priority in entering the legal cannabis industry. 

In his application, he showed that he successfully ran two ecommerce businesses, in the years since his arrests, indicating that he had the business chops to turn a profit. 

Kang, along with his co-founder Jack Eisakharian, got the idea for a newspaper themed space to set themselves apart from other dispensaries, while also evoking a vintage feel. 

The space features lit up New Metro signs, in various iconic newspaper fonts, that greet customers at the front desk. The doors to enter the store stocked with cannabis products are covered with a collage of newspaper clippings.

Close to two dozen employees wear the store’s merchandise, a simple black hoodie with the store’s name in a newspaper font as they help customers select the right product from a range of strains grown by farmers across the state, from Schenectady to Long Island.

Unlike legal dispensaries, they don’t have security, are prone to robberies and often sell to minors. Legal dispensaries must adhere to strict guidelines set by the state such as being a certain distance away from schools and houses of worship. They also can’t put a cannabis leaf on the outside signage, which most illegal smoke shops have. 

Kang says that he spent close to half a million dollars to get the shop up and running through the legal route. But it’s frustrating to see illegal smoke shops run without impunity, while also giving legal ones a bad rep. 

“The smoke shops have zero regulation and they’re not paying taxes,” said Kang. “We pay the most taxes, we pay all these fees and yet the black market is thriving. We’re not the ones selling to your kids.”

But despite the hurdles to opening day, and worries about competition from business owners who took the easy route, Kang feels like everything worked out just right. For months, Kang and his partner scouted locations across the borough, but ultimately, they didn’t work out.

“I had a location in Astoria that I didn’t get. I was very upset but it just brought me back here to my hometown,” said Kang. “I feel right at home here. This is where I’m meant to be.”

Born in 1988, the Chinese year of the dragon, it’s a full circle moment for Kang. The 2024 lunar new year this month ushered in a new year of the dragon, as well as a new chapter for Kang and the Bayside community.

dispensary-8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, nycman said:

LMAO…I resisted the temptation. 

$11,200 a month…to live in QUEENS?

"What kind of moron….."

grin

Don't get me wrong ... a dear aunt lived in Queens for years, and I grew to appreciate how much the borough has to offer.  But if you're paying $11,200/mo in rent to live there, you need your head examined.

2 hours ago, BSR said:

if you're paying $11,200/mo in rent to live there, you need your head examined.

Like everywhere...people choose to live within a community that appeals to them. Familiar culture, good schools, low crime. Etc etc. There ARE many merits to life in sleepy Queens for certain people..and certain neighborhoods like Forest Park Gardens that are actually quite lovely.

Absolutely not MY cup of tea..but I see the appeal for the people I know who do live there. Especlially now that we are tripping over mentally ill drug addicts in Manhattan while paying outrageous amounts of money to live here. These outer borough neighborhoods often hire private security to scurry them away.

Posted (edited)

We just had a small earthquake… I was sitting watching TV and suddenly my chair started to shake. I texted my sister and brother-in-law on Long Island, and they responded that their house had started shaking as well.

It was a 4.8 magnitude quake centered in Lebanon, NJ

Edited by samhexum
For your education and entertainment

New York City is serving up out new parking meters that will allow drivers to “pay-by-plate.”

The new meters, which will first be rolled out in Upper Manhattan on May 8 before a gradual rollout to the rest of the city, will allow New Yorkers to pay for parking by entering their license plate number into the meter.

That will allow the city to stop producing massive amounts of waste from paper parking receipts, which parkers place on their dashboard as proof of payment.

Each year, New York City parking meters produce about 2,500 miles worth of receipts, enough to stretch all the way from New York to Los Angeles, the city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) says.

“Our new pay-by-plate parking meters are simple to use and will make short-term parking easier for everyone,” DOT Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez said in a statement. “Drivers will no longer need to worry about leaving a paper receipt on their dashboard and can use the convenience of the ParkNYC app to pay the meter while on the go.”

DOT plans to retrofit its existing meters to the pay-by-plate model, rather than installing new ones. The meters will be synced to the NYPD’s parking enforcement systems and will feed real-time data to traffic agents about parkers overstaying their meter.

Drivers can also pay for parking using the ParkNYC app, which eliminates the need to go to a meter at all.

The price of metered parking varies widely across the city. In Manhattan’s core central business district, the first hour of parking costs $5.50, while in much of the outer boroughs it is only $1.5o. Most of the city’s curbside spots are free.

6 hours ago, samhexum said:

The new meters, which will first be rolled out in Upper Manhattan on May 8 ...

So is Upper Manhattan in Queens now ... ?

I remember using such a parking meter in Rotorua (on the North Island of Aotearoa) when I was there with two other forum members a few years ago.