Ever been told you can't use the pool because you have tattoos?

I was looking for a hotel in Tokyo, and I saw something I haven't seen in a hotel website before. I clicked on the "House rules" for the Grand Prince Hotel Shin Takanawa in Tokyo, and read the following:

For safety reasons, a baby cot is only available for infants up to 10 months old.

A free shuttle service is available from Shinagawa Station to Grand Prince Hotel Shin Takanawa. For more information, please contact the property directly.
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19), additional safety and sanitation measures are in effect at this property.

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), this property has reduced reception and service hours.

Guests with tattoos may not be permitted to use the property’s public bathing areas or other facilities where the tattoos might be visible to other guests.

An accommodation tax per person, per night is not included in the price and must be paid at the property.

Sky Pool ( スカイプール ) <夏期のみ>: Closed from Fri, Jul 29, 2022 until Sat, Jul 15, 2023

Diamond Pool ( ダイヤモンドプール )<夏期のみ>: Closed from Mon, Sep 19, 2022 until Sat, Jul 15, 2023.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the Yakuza? Is this something unique to Japan? Do tattoos imply you're an outlaw there? Do they really enforce this rule with strangers?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11743103/Post-Malone-denied-entry-swanky-Perth-bar-face-neck-tattoos.html

The American singer, 27, and his entourage were apparently denied entry into the QT Hotel's ritzy rooftop bar on Murray Street due to his sprawling tattoo collection.

Malone reportedly breached the venue's strict dress code, which prohibits 'face, neck, and offensive tattoos'.

8 hours ago, 56harrisond said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11743103/Post-Malone-denied-entry-swanky-Perth-bar-face-neck-tattoos.html

The American singer, 27, and his entourage were apparently denied entry into the QT Hotel's ritzy rooftop bar on Murray Street due to his sprawling tattoo collection.

Malone reportedly breached the venue's strict dress code, which prohibits 'face, neck, and offensive tattoos'.

Not just the Japanese, but the Aussies, too? Rather insular, perhaps? I guess he got his revenge spending big $$$ at the nearby bar, from what I gather in the article. I've been reading more about this on TripAdvisor, and repulsion for tattoos seems quite common in Japan. Even Tokyo Disneyland won't let you in!

"The subject of tattoos at onsens is a frequently asked question. The general answer is that tattoos of any type generally prohibit entry to most onsens and similar type facilities. This can also apply to theme parks, such as Disneyland, swimming pools, golf courses, and fitness clubs. One work around is to put a band aid over the tattoo, and that is usually acceptable. However in a bath that may not be practical.

Advise may be given to ignore the "rules" and try anyway. Its possible the "rules" may not be enforced consistently. Just be aware of the general prohibition to avoid any disappointment. Tattoos are banned at certain facilities as a way, however clumsy, to prevent organized crime and other "anti social" elements from patronizing the facility. "Anti Social" is usually a euphemism for organized crime, gang member, or yakuza affiliation. These types of people many times have a large number of tattoos.

The irony is that Japan is one of the best places in the world to get a tattoo, with some of the most talented tattoo artists anywhere. Even though there is wide spread discrimination against people with tattoos, some of the barriers are being broken by pop stars such as Ayumi Hamazaki, who has gotten a tattoo."

This is part of their culture.  Respect it.

Same goes for ink when going to onsen.  There are specific onsen for those with tattoos.

As for the Aussies, they are awesome for making rules and sticking to them.  Love that Qantas frequently denies lounge access to people who dress like they're at home on the couch or wearing flip-flops (thongs).

OP is really going to flip when he realizes that there are many gay bars in Tokyo that are not Westerner-friendly.  While they won't directly ask you to leave, they won't exactly be warm and friendly to you either.  Always do your research.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

34 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

...OP is really going to flip when he realizes that there are many gay bars in Tokyo that are not Westerner-friendly...

I doubt we'll go to gay bars on that trip.

double backflip GIF

6 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Same goes for ink when going to onsen.  There are specific onsen for those with tattoos.

As for the Aussies, they are awesome for making rules and sticking to them.  Love that Qantas frequently denies lounge access to people who dress like they're at home on the couch or wearing flip-flops (thongs).

OP is really going to flip when he realizes that there are many gay bars in Tokyo that are not Westerner-friendly.  While they won't directly ask you to leave, they won't exactly be warm and friendly to you either.  Always do your research.

Is there a reason why some gay bars would not be hospitable toward Americans or other western tourists?  

12 hours ago, Unicorn said:

The irony is that Japan is one of the best places in the world to get a tattoo, with some of the most talented tattoo artists anywhere.

I just learned this last night. I took a special friend out to dinner at a trendy place last night and I asked him if he thought our server was gay and he said “yes, did you see his pride tat?”. He asked the server about a few of his tattoos and he replied that he’d gotten them in Japan, adding that they have the best tattoo artists in the word.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:47 AM, Unicorn said:

I was looking for a hotel in Tokyo, and I saw something I haven't seen in a hotel website before. I clicked on the "House rules" for the Grand Prince Hotel Shin Takanawa in Tokyo, and read the following:

For safety reasons, a baby cot is only available for infants up to 10 months old.

A free shuttle service is available from Shinagawa Station to Grand Prince Hotel Shin Takanawa. For more information, please contact the property directly.
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19), additional safety and sanitation measures are in effect at this property.

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), this property has reduced reception and service hours.

Guests with tattoos may not be permitted to use the property’s public bathing areas or other facilities where the tattoos might be visible to other guests.

An accommodation tax per person, per night is not included in the price and must be paid at the property.

Sky Pool ( スカイプール ) <夏期のみ>: Closed from Fri, Jul 29, 2022 until Sat, Jul 15, 2023

Diamond Pool ( ダイヤモンドプール )<夏期のみ>: Closed from Mon, Sep 19, 2022 until Sat, Jul 15, 2023.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the Yakuza? Is this something unique to Japan? Do tattoos imply you're an outlaw there? Do they really enforce this rule with strangers?

I heard about this years ago.  Something about the Yakusa - they all have tattoos, so a lot of businesses wont allow entry to tattooed people.  If it were me and they asked me to cover up, I would cover up - it isn't personal. 

11 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

This, 100%! Not only applies to Japan, but it applies to any country you visit. There are 194 other countries outside our borders, many with vastly different social norms, traditions, expectations. Learn them before you go - and if while learning them, you’re not comfortable with them, don’t go. Like I said, there’s 194 other countries to pick from. 

I visited Japan a decade ago while my friend was working there (he spoke English and Japanese) and he told me the only way to visit some of those small gay Japanese bars is to have a local gay Japanese who knows the owner to bring you but that's rare. 

There are other gay bars in shinjuku-ni-chome that is welcoming of Americans and westerners though.

It's a different culture. 

I visited Japan in 1992 - yes many years ago.  At that time it was extremely difficult to get entry into many bars and certainly sauna/bathhouses.  At that stage there was NO document HIV/AIDS cases in Japan.  There may well have been but they were not commonly known about. 

So the venues had this policy of not letting gaijin (foreigners) in, as their rational was if there is not aids among the Japanese - if we dont mix with gaijin we will stay disease free.

It kind of makes sense - but it frustrated me at the time.  there were several bars and clubs that were welcoming of expats etc 

11 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

So, no meet-and-greet preferences offered at  their Disneyland? Fcuk that. I’ve had enough of mice and mermaids. Cancelling. 

FF8F22C9-1D77-40E7-9BED-58C214AB1EC8.jpeg

Looks like Yakuza to me! 😄