That is a Sh*tload of cash

purplekow

For the life of me, I couldn't name the most expensive item of clothing I've ever purchased, but one former co-worker spent $8,000 (of her own hard-earned money) on her wedding dress.  Yes, she made a good salary, and it looked beautiful (from the online photo), but still ... eight freakin' grand for a dress you're wearing only once?!

I didn't attend the wedding, but co-workers who did said that while the dress was indeed lovely, she was out of her mind to spend that kind of money.  Miss Eight Grand left the company a few months later.  I've always wondered if the marriage lasted.

8 hours ago, BSR said:

For the life of me, I couldn't name the most expensive item of clothing I've ever purchased, but one former co-worker spent $8,000 (of her own hard-earned money) on her wedding dress.  Yes, she made a good salary, and it looked beautiful (from the online photo), but still ... eight freakin' grand for a dress you're wearing only once?!

I didn't attend the wedding, but co-workers who did said that while the dress was indeed lovely, she was out of her mind to spend that kind of money.  Miss Eight Grand left the company a few months later.  I've always wondered if the marriage lasted.

If it doesn't last, she can always use it again the next time.

9 hours ago, BnaC said:

Depends where you get them.  Maybe @WilliamM can send you some fro the same South Philly store?

I imagine that William is quite the fashion plate, so he probably doesn't buy his clothes at used clothing stores. (However, if you are reading this, William, I think the store was at 6th and Bainbridge.)

Edited by Charlie

On 2/1/2023 at 2:57 PM, purplekow said:

Seems like you are saying that you don't care because you can afford it.  I am not a clothes horse and as a result I remember what I consider to be extravagant purchases, none of them made at Gucci, Versace or Prada.  Not sure I would spend it there even if I could but who knows.  

All those prestige labels don't interest me much.   I love great clothes, but the only place they can have a logo is on a discreet label on the inside of the garment.

23 hours ago, Charlie said:

When I was walking the dog this morning, a neighbor pointed out that there was a hole in the ass of the sweatpants I was wearing (the temperature was only 40F. in Palm Springs this morning). I bought the sweatpants from a cardboard box in front of a used clothing store in South Philly about 20 years ago, so I suppose it is time to replace them. What do durable sweatpants cost nowadays?

Really nice sweatpants are $100+.  Decent sweatpants are $40+  Cotton/poly blend are $20 - 30.

31 minutes ago, Charlie said:

If it doesn't last, she can always use it again the next time.

Straight folks and their weddings are like that.  The dress is supposed to be a keepsake that is passed from generation to generation.  A young woman who I worked with complained that her parents had only set aside $10K for her wedding so it really complicated planning.

Edited by Rudynate

41 minutes ago, Charlie said:

When I was a child, my mother usually made the wedding  dresses herself for most of her family members. She made her own dress, and then re-tailored it for other occasions.

My mother was the same.  She was very skilled at sewing and made all of her own clothes.  When my sister got married, my mother made the dress- she spent months on it.  My grandmother embroidered it - full, floor-length skirt, veil, the works. My mother was so good that young women asked her to teach them how to sew.  After the first couple of times, she wouldn't do it, because, she said, they didn't want to do things right and it frustrated her.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Hardly anyone ever sees me in real nice sweatpants, so decent is good enough.

It’s not only how you appear to others….it’s how the clothes make YOU feel, even if no one is looking. 

Go for the upgrade baby!

Plus, you never know who might be reaching inside those sweatpants…it’s always better to be prepared for a show!

23 minutes ago, nycman said:

It’s not only how you appear to others….it’s how the clothes make YOU feel, even if no one is looking. 

Go for the upgrade baby!

Plus, you never know who might be reaching inside those sweatpants…it’s always better to be prepared for a show!

I go for the pricey ones after they've been marked down.  I don't care that I'm wearing last season's sweat pants.

On 2/2/2023 at 2:28 PM, Lucky said:

Baseball player, retired, Derek Jeter says he once wore a gold thong to try to get his batting average up. I'll bet plenty of Yankee fans would pay for that piece of historic clothing!

https://nypost.com/2023/02/02/derek-jeter-reveals-he-wore-gold-thong-during-game-to-break-out-of-hitting-slump/

Yes, it supposedly belonged to one of the Giambi brothers and he got a hit the first time up.