Joys of Commuting

keefer

Just refilled water bottle, hit vending machine for a few granola bars, and bracing myself for homeward commute; after two decades living in Colorado I shudder to think how London will cope if we get a centimetre of snow this winter...    warm fire and glass of scotch to be the reward if I survive the commute home

11 hours ago, bashful said:

Wait till you have to stand out on a Metra train middle platform with no shelter and any combination of wind, cold, snow, ice pellets, freezing rain.  The joys of suburban Chicago.

Followed by a mile long walk to your downtown building where you have to cross the river wind tunnel TWICE! 

Coworkers would wonder why I'd spend the money for a monthly parking pass.

Edited by BeamerBikes

20 hours ago, bashful said:

Wait till you have to stand out on a Metra train middle platform with no shelter and any combination of wind, cold, snow, ice pellets, freezing rain.  The joys of suburban Chicago.

Chicago is a whole other animal for dealing with cold weather.

As a native, I have respect for that, but don't miss it.  I still have PTSD from shoveling and throwing salt.

23 hours ago, Charlie said:

Climate change: I don't remember ever experiencing temperatures below freezing in London.

I remember one winter in London where I was temporarily working in the 1970's, maybe '74 or '75, and the weather was below freezing. On my radio in the hotel room the announcers were asking people to check in on their elderly neighbours, most of whom in those days had no central heating in their homes.

17 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I remember one winter in London where I was temporarily working in the 1970's, maybe '74 or '75, and the weather was below freezing. On my radio in the hotel room the announcers were asking people to check in on their elderly neighbours, most of whom in those days had no central heating in their homes.

I was also living in London in the winter of '74, so maybe it was '75.

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

I was also living in London in the winter of '74, so maybe it was '75.

I also remember being in London during a summer heat wave. I think it was the summer of 1977 or '78. We all went to the parks to sunbath. I picked up a nice young lad and took him to the theatre. Glenda Jackson was appearing in a play called Stevie.

Edited by Luv2play
Fact Correction

5 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I also remember being in London during a summer heat wave. I think it was the summer of 1977 or '78. We all went to the parks to sunbath. I picked up a nice young lad and took him to the theatre. Glenda Jackson was appearing in a play called Stevie.

I was also there in that summer heat wave of '77, when the parks were full of pasty white people sunbathing.

14 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Also my first time in London was late summer of ‘77 (Queen’s Silver Jubilee) and I recall it being unusually hot. I saw Deborah Kerr in Candida and had my first male massage experience… yes, the city was definitely hot!