Prices and tipping in 2022-2023

Curious about your thoughts.  

How much do you typically tip the masseur?  I mean I try to tip 20%, but I am just wondering - with the way prices have increased, is that sustainable? I mean  a couple of weeks ago, I had a masseur that wanted to charge me over $200 for a 1 hour therapeutic massage.  I get paying that for a 90 minute massaage, for a 1 hour massage feels excessive, espeically with no "add ons."    Also, do you still tip 20% when the massage wasn't great?  

I always get 90min. These days that’s around $200-$300. I’ll go as high as $300 if there’s something about the guy that I like (rarely). I’m definitely hiring less than I was before covid.

I don’t tip on a bad experience but will give around $20 for a “meets expectations”experience and upwards to $60 for above and beyond. 

I tip massage guys and companions 20.00.  I think it would be reasonable not to tip at all because they are keeping the entire fee that I pay them, but I like to pay a little extra to show my appreciation.  On the rare occasion that I get a massage in a spa I tip a percentage of the fee because they are only getting a cut of that fee. 

I tip servers in restaurants very generously because the bulk of their income is from tips and they work their butts off.

I tip the room attendant in a hotel 10.00 every day.

I have a mobility issue that makes negotiating airports really difficult so I use wheelchair assistants when I travel and I tip them 20.00.  I think most people don't tip them or don't tip that much, but I'm happy to tip them because they provide extraordinary value.  Generally, they are delighted when they see a 20.00 bill.  One guy even hugged me.

At a place I once worked where parking was in short supply, I paid for parking at a lot right across the street.  Every month or so, I tucked 10.00 into a thank you card and gave it to the parking guy and he always saved me a primo spot. 

There is a reason some people call tipping "greasing."

I had a young client once who used to tip me $50.00 now and again when he paid an invoice.  The first time he did it, I was non-plussed, but I just thanked him for it.  I started using it to take my husband to lunch.

Edited by Rudynate
spelling

Good to know.  Follow-up.  I went to my massage.  It was scheduled for 12:30 pm for 90 minutes for $200.  I didn't look at the clock until after I left (my mistake).  It was 1:25 when he finished,k but I still paid $200 plus the $40 tip (20%).  I mean it was a good massage, etc., but should I leave this in the review or just let it go and not ever use this guy again?

6 minutes ago, questbear said:

Good to know.  Follow-up.  I went to my massage.  It was scheduled for 12:30 pm for 90 minutes for $200.  I didn't look at the clock until after I left (my mistake).  It was 1:25 when he finished,k but I still paid $200 plus the $40 tip (20%).  I mean it was a good massage, etc., but should I leave this in the review or just let it go and not ever use this guy again?

If you would return/ repeat him , I'd say reach out to him first and let him know ...maybe will offer a discount for second appointment or something :)

1 hour ago, questbear said:

I would just let it go and not return.

This is an interesting topic.  I was once told at.fairly good spa that the minimum tip for a 90Min massage was $30. The massage was just under $100. It was weird because while tipping is part of our culture I work often in cultures where tipping is either considered rude or is not expected.  At any rate, it’s appropriate to tip at a spa because—as many have said—- the provider only gets a fraction of the fee. But when one is going to a private residence or facility for an already expensive massage, tip should be for something special I think. I never mind tipping generously for each ellent service.  But when the massage is “meh” and nothing stands out and the price is already high, then maybe that is different. Still it’s good to give something in recognition of effort unless it ia just horrible or the provider cheats you substantially on time. For me that is a variation of 15 min or more. 

Recently had a scrub/massage combo in a popular NY spa (so popular they just opened another location in HK within past month). The price was just over 100$ for the total of 90mins. Towards the end of massage, the guy started negotiating the tip (as an “all in price”) Makes one pretty uncomfortable no matter how special  they make you feel. If you can’t leave spa’s clients to decide for themselves on their discretionary gratuity, then perhaps just stick to private work.

Tipping is such an emotive subject, and is one where custom varies across cultures.

I have no expectation of receiving a tip, but it’s very welcome when I do receive one.

I think it’s easier for clients to provide a tip if they pay cash. When clients pay by card then I just tap my rate into the card reader and hand it to the client for them to insert their card. There’s no option for them to add a tip (well, there is…but I don’t feel right to put it on there for the client so I don’t use that feature). I hate that feeling of being ‘prompted’ to provide a tip. 

Much better for me is that if my client really liked my service then they book another session. That’s what I aim for, rather than hoping for a big tip. 

3 hours ago, questbear said:

Devil's advocate here but we're you out of his apartment at 1:25 or he finished the massage and you had to pay him, get dressed ect. 

If a client wants to shower after our booking that comes off his time. You pay for 60 mins or 90 mins of my time. If you want to shower before and after that comes off your time booked. 

I ask my clients before the massage starts if they want to shower. If so my 90 mins normally last 1:20 so my clients have time to shower, get dressed and pay me. 

I made the mistake once where the client paid me for a hour but by the time he showered, got dressed he was at my apartment for 45 mins extra. 

6 hours ago, questbear said:

You should not have tipped and if you brought to their attention that you paid $200 for a 55-minute massage, you should have been offered a refund.  Next time stick to one hour.  You didn't seem to notice the difference and save yourself some $$$ toward your next massage.

5 hours ago, Kody S said:

This is an interesting topic.  I was once told at.fairly good spa that the minimum tip for a 90Min massage was $30. The massage was just under $100. It was weird because while tipping is part of our culture I work often in cultures where tipping is either considered rude or is not expected.  At any rate, it’s appropriate to tip at a spa because—as many have said—- the provider only gets a fraction of the fee. But when one is going to a private residence or facility for an already expensive massage, tip should be for something special I think. I never mind tipping generously for each ellent service.  But when the massage is “meh” and nothing stands out and the price is already high, then maybe that is different. Still it’s good to give something in recognition of effort unless it ia just horrible or the provider cheats you substantially on time. For me that is a variation of 15 min or more. 

I wouldn't necessarily believe that tipping is considered insulting. I think people are ready to believe that because it gives them an excuse not to tip. It is certainly true that in some European countries tipping is not expected, but if you tipped a server in a restaurant I doubt whether they would throw the money in your face.

In this country, it is said that it is insulting to offer a tip to a professional.  I am a highly-educated, highly-skilled professional with decades of experience and I certainly didn't mind my young client paying me an extra 50.00 just for the hell of it.   Having said that, I can't really imagine offering my doctor a tip.

9 hours ago, Daniel84 said:

Devil's advocate here but we're you out of his apartment at 1:25 or he finished the massage and you had to pay him, get dressed ect. 

If a client wants to shower after our booking that comes off his time. You pay for 60 mins or 90 mins of my time. If you want to shower before and after that comes off your time booked. 

I ask my clients before the massage starts if they want to shower. If so my 90 mins normally last 1:20 so my clients have time to shower, get dressed and pay me. 

I made the mistake once where the client paid me for a hour but by the time he showered, got dressed he was at my apartment for 45 mins extra. 

I’m amazed at how long some clients take to shower. If a client books an hour with me then they get the full hour on the table but I kind of expect they won’t spend half hour in the shower…

I prefer them to shower before we start (it means I’ll be more inclined to go places that are interesting if it’s all nice and fresh 😉) and I offer a shower afterwards because they’re covered in oil and cum of course ha ha. Many are visiting during work or before a night out in the west end so I understand it’s important to look ok on leaving me. But ugh those that take ages are just irritating. It’s mainly female clients that take time. I don’t see many female clients but when they book I always add time to the session because firstly they take time to get going (if you’ve massaged females you’ll know..) and because of the shower time issue. They’re in there for ages!

On the timing being short, I think it’s always important to make the massage last the full time booked. Only if the client wants to finish early would I stop before time. I remember one guy I saw booked an hour, but once he was on the table it was clear he was too horny for a slow build up. After a few minutes he had my cock in his mouth so I just let things develop as he seemed to be keen. After half hour of hardly any massage he cums and then almost immediately he asks to get showered. I suggested we finish the massage with some head massage (always very relaxing after a climax) but he was happy and good to go. He paid full price plus a tip and was in and out of my studio in 40 minutes, and that was only because I managed to keep him on the edge for a while. I think he’d have been half hour or less otherwise. The ideal client 😂

1 hour ago, Jamie21 said:

I’m amazed at how long some clients take to shower. If a client books an hour with me then they get the full hour on the table but I kind of expect they won’t spend half hour in the shower…

I prefer them to shower before we start (it means I’ll be more inclined to go places that are interesting if it’s all nice and fresh 😉) and I offer a shower afterwards because they’re covered in oil and cum of course ha ha. Many are visiting during work or before a night out in the west end so I understand it’s important to look ok on leaving me. But ugh those that take ages are just irritating. It’s mainly female clients that take time. I don’t see many female clients but when they book I always add time to the session because firstly they take time to get going (if you’ve massaged females you’ll know..) and because of the shower time issue. They’re in there for ages!

On the timing being short, I think it’s always important to make the massage last the full time booked. Only if the client wants to finish early would I stop before time. I remember one guy I saw booked an hour, but once he was on the table it was clear he was too horny for a slow build up. After a few minutes he had my cock in his mouth so I just let things develop as he seemed to be keen. After half hour of hardly any massage he cums and then almost immediately he asks to get showered. I suggested we finish the massage with some head massage (always very relaxing after a climax) but he was happy and good to go. He paid full price plus a tip and was in and out of my studio in 40 minutes, and that was only because I managed to keep him on the edge for a while. I think he’d have been half hour or less otherwise. The ideal client 😂

The one that asked me to shower required that I showered when I got there before the masage.  I had already showered in antidipcation of the massage, which I always do shortly before I leave.  I was in the shower for like 5 minutes, maybe a little longer.  I typically don't shower at the end because I will shower when I get home.  I just wonder if it's me or something I have done wrong when the masseur stops early.  I mean am I that revolting?

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Daniel84 said:

I didn't check the time until I got into my car.  I did not shower before or afterward.  I showerd at home right before I left for the massage and I got dressed and left right afterward.   He only offered a 90 minute massage for $200.   I am chalking this up as a lesson learned and will not use him again.   = And to clarify on one of the other comments that I didn't notice that it was short.  Well, I did notice because I felt like the time went faster than I expected, but I didn't say anything.  I am naked on a table in someone else's home and I don't feel that is the time to start an argument.  So, I paid, got dressed and left.  I didn't have my phone available because this masseur required that I leave my phone with my shoes by the front door.  So I put my shoes on and went out the door to my car.  That is when I checked the time and saw it was only 1:25, not 2:00 pm.  

I also clarify that I always intend to do the right thing and tip.  I may not have articulated that well in my OP.  I am happy to tip for the service and budget that in, but as has  been mentioned, unlike a spa service where the full amount of money does not go to the masseur, here the full price plus tip goes in the pocket of the masseur.  This is a bit of a different scenario.  I do think I am going to limit my tips to around $20 at this point rather than calculate a full 20%.  That seems to be the average of what people are paying.  Especially if the massage wasn't fantastic.  I don't think I need to pay $40 or more on top of the massage for mediocre service when the masseur didn't give me the full time or the massage wasn't great.

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, Kody S said:

This is an interesting topic.  I was once told at.fairly good spa that the minimum tip for a 90Min massage was $30. The massage was just under $100. It was weird because while tipping is part of our culture I work often in cultures where tipping is either considered rude or is not expected.  At any rate, it’s appropriate to tip at a spa because—as many have said—- the provider only gets a fraction of the fee. 

If there is a "minimum tip," then its really not a tip is it?  More like a "service fee" or similar names for juat charging more. 

I thought a tip was supposed to be a bonus for good, special, or extra service and is, or should be,  discretionary. 

At a spa, I typically tip $10-40 depending on the length of the massage, how good it was, if the masseur tried to negotiate a tip or upsell during the massage, etc. 

At a masseur’s house or studio (I don’t do outcalls), I’d tip based on all of those factors as well as how much the initial fee is. The most I’ve tipped on a massage was for a superb 90 minute massage with plenty of extras that pushed the session well past two hours, but even with a 50% tip I didn’t pay more than $250 total.

As has been said before, a private masseur is pocketing all of the fees for incall sessions. Sure, there are some overhead charges, but nothing that would require them to use even half of their fees on a single session to cover. 

If I am going directly to a providers house, I do not tip because they are keeping 100% of the profit. For me they are clearing a decent rate per hour and lotion or oil is not that expensive. 

If I am at a spa I would tip 20% but that is because I know they do not get all of the money and they are paying for that space. 

4 hours ago, Rudynate said:

But that's something  isn't it?

I mean it's something if you get to gaze upon it for most of the 60-90 minutes, but most of that time you are face down and not really able to enjoy the views.  lol.  I can get enough of a glance from their pics on RentMasseur or RentMen without spending that kind of extra money. 

If you're at a spa, the provider only gets part of the fee so tipping for good service is expected. If you're meeting a masseur at their own home tipping for basic service is optional because they already get all the funds from the fee. BUT ...any optional services or treating you special is also a reason to tip even when your provider isn't working at a spa. Your provider is suffering from inflation too. If you can afford to tip then you need to stretch out your sessions to fewer times a year so you can.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

If you're at a spa, the provider only gets part of the fee so tipping for good service is expected. If you're meeting a masseur at their own home tipping for basic service is optional because they already get all the funds from the fee. BUT ...any optional services or treating you special is also a reason to tip even when your provider isn't working at a spa. Your provider is suffering from inflation too. If you can afford to tip then you need to stretch out your sessions to fewer times a year so you can.

Yes, you posted this earlier and point taken.  I have always tipped 20% regardless of the situation.  I get that providers are suffering from inflation, but as mentioned above, some of these extremely attractive guys are asking for extremely high prices but not providing great service.  I think that point is valid.  I try to only hire certified massage therapists.  

Also, update for those that might be interested.  My masseur from yesterday actually texted me and asked for a review, so I decided to ask for clarification about the time.  He said that when most people "finish" they don't wish anything further so he stopped.  He offered a refund and I declined.  I chalked it up to a miscommunication. I would prefer the full-time of my massage and if anything extra happens that is a bonus, but I am there for the massage.  Everyone is different.