Loss of Body Hair

BtmBearDad

Have any of you gents experienced loss of body hair? I’ve always been a furry enough fellow -legs, torso, forearms, etc.- hence the use the “bear” moniker. I have noticed over the last 5+ years, the hair on my legs in particular has thinned out considerably. Honestly, I chalked it up to years of wearing long dress socks with suits, and I suppose I thought it’s also a natural part of aging. I just mentioned it in passing to a mate, and he offered it’s due to a drop in testosterone, and I should have my doctor check my levels. Quelle surprise!

Have any of you gents had this happen? Is there a specific test I should request or is a general “check my testosterone levels” sufficient? I’m having blood work done next week, so I’m thinking I should have this test run then. 

Thoughts? Advice? 

Cheers!
BBD 

You likely need to find a good men’s clinic to work with you on t-levels.  Most doctors don’t get involved with it.  Any number 300 or lower is considered clinically low and could be covered under health insurance. Stress could be covered.    Yes, what you are experiencing could be a sign of low T but it could be related to other issues also.  I won’t say going on TRT is without some input that you need to do but I do suggest to consider it strongly before doing it and be sure you’ve checked everything else first. Consider your diet, your exercise program, your stress, your sleeping habits and whether or not you are using or consuming anything that encourages the production of estrogen in your body.

I wish you good luck in your research on this.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, BtmBearDad said:

Have any of you gents experienced loss of body hair? I’ve always been a furry enough fellow -legs, torso, forearms, etc.- hence the use the “bear” moniker. I have noticed over the last 5+ years, the hair on my legs in particular has thinned out considerably. Honestly, I chalked it up to years of wearing long dress socks with suits, and I suppose I thought it’s also a natural part of aging. I just mentioned it in passing to a mate, and he offered it’s due to a drop in testosterone, and I should have my doctor check my levels. Quelle surprise!

Have any of you gents had this happen? Is there a specific test I should request or is a general “check my testosterone levels” sufficient? I’m having blood work done next week, so I’m thinking I should have this test run then. 

Thoughts? Advice? 

Cheers!
BBD 

Mainstream physicians don't know anything about testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).  Even endocrinologists don't know anything about TRT.  You need to see somebody who specializes in hormone optimization.  The medical mainstream tends to dismiss docs who practice in this speciality, but their patients are pretty happy.

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

Mainstream physicians don't know anything about testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).  Even endocrinologists don't know anything about TRT.  You need to see somebody who specializes in hormone optimization.  The medical mainstream tends to dismiss docs who practice in this speciality, but their patients are pretty happy.

TRT is not without it's issues...particularly if one has a family history of prostate cancer.  Testosterone is like a superfood for prostate cancer cells.

Edited by EZEtoGRU

I have less armpit hair than I used to have, but the strangest thing is that I used to have a large patch of heavy dark hair covering the back of my left shoulder, which often caused comment from the men with whom I had carnal relations--one person even refused to do anything with me when he saw it, because he thought it was some strange disease. It appeared in my early teens, along with dark leg hair and public hair, on an area on which I had suffered a sunburn when I was an adolescent. I was not particularly aware of it unless someone mentioned it, because I couldn't see it without looking in a mirror, and I stopped having sex with strangers a dozen years ago. A couple of years ago, I happened to catch a glimpse of my back in a mirror, and was surprised to see that it has completely disappeared! The skin is still slightly darker in that area, but it is totally smooth--there isn't any trace of hair there at all, although the rest of my body hair hasn't changed. Any explanation?

• 7 months later...

Maybe around 70 I found that I was losing body hair. I never had a lot...one of my first boyfriends used to amuse himself with us lying in bed and he counting my chest hairs. But now I have no chest hair, no armpit hair, and less pubic hair than I once had. My doctor says my testosterone levels are fine, but clearly a switch has gone off somewhere. 

The only area other than my head that has seen hair loss are my lower legs, most likely from years of wearing over the calf dress socks with suits. I never had hair on my back or ass, except in the crack, and the chest hair has always been sparse. Because of the sparseness, I have it sugared a few times a year to highlight my pecs. My pubic hair and underarm hair is as full and dark as ever. Because of the patchy hair on my legs, I get them sugared in the warm weather when they’re lightly tanned and I’m wearing short shorts. I also bike a ton, so it feels good in the wind. My T is consistently over 600 without supplementing. I’m quite fortunate in that regard, since high T confers enormous benefits as one ages. I have a ton of energy for and older fella.

Just circling back with an update - I did have my dr check my testosterone. It’s not low - 615.32 was the result, which Dr advised was a good number for 50+ 🤷🏼‍♂️

When I inquired about hair loss, he confirmed my suspicions - 25+ years of wearing over the calf dress socks and suit pants have had an impact on my leg hair. Given the rest of my body hair (bush, bum, torso, forearms, pits, face, and head [even with monk’s cap]) is all full, I shouldn’t worry. 

BBD 

Hair loss should prompt a check for low thyroid hormone levels. Low testosterone levels can also lead to drop in body hair (especially armpits and groin), but professional guidelines discourage replacing low testosterone levels unless there are more serious symptoms such as fatigue, or low sex drive. Endocrinologists are usually well aware of professional guidelines on this matter. Anyone who believes he knows better than those who wrote the guidelines probably is either deluding himself or others. The guidelines are written based on the best available scientific evidence.

Edited by Unicorn

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, FatimaBrown said:

Hey there! I've recently faced the same issue with hair loss, and it turned out to be due to stress and a lack of vitamins and minerals.

On what basis did you come to that conclusion? Which vitamin or which mineral? I've never heard of a study showing that hair loss could be due to vitamin or mineral deficiency.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 12:34 PM, Unicorn said:

Hair loss should prompt a check for low thyroid hormone levels

I'm in my mid 60s.  I thought loss of body hair was due to aging.  When blood tests showed elevated TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) levels, was put 25 mcg Synthroid.  Year and half later, I'm starting to see hair coming back.