Sugar & its effect on health

samhexum

We had a previous thread about this but it's closed now.

My doctor told me in January that I have to start getting my act together (not his words, but the gist) because my A1C had reached 8.6.

Of course I got right on it in April.  I still haven't started trying to diet, but...  I've been watching my sugar intake and taking my diabetes medication for about 3+ months.  Went to the doc Wednesday, & I'm down 17 pounds since January and my A1C went from 8.6 to 6.8.

2327318.gif

On 8/5/2022 at 10:24 PM, samhexum said:

We had a previous thread about this but it's closed now.

My doctor told me in January that I have to start getting my act together (not his words, but the gist) because my A1C had reached 8.6.

Of course I got right on it in April.  I still haven't started trying to diet, but...  I've been watching my sugar intake and taking my diabetes medication for about 3+ months.  Went to the doc Wednesday, & I'm down 17 pounds since January and my A1C went from 8.6 to 6.8.

2327318.gif

Many people do not realize how bad sugar is on the body.  

Sugar can cause excess body weight and eventually cause diabetes and neuropathy after several years of consuming too much food that the body converts to sugar.  Neuropathy can lead to amputations of limbs. 

To make it even more difficult to understand, many foods that people think do not contain sugar, are converted to sugar after being eaten. 

Who would think that rice, spaghetti, pasta, potatoes and many other non sugary foods would be converted to sugar after we eat the food?

Here is a list of just some common non sugary foods that get converted after we eat them:

Foods That Turn Into Sugar
  • Potatoes (white and sweet)
  • Breakfast cereals.
  • Soda and fruit drinks.
  • White sugar.
  • Candy and desserts.
  • White and brown rice.
  • Fruit.

46 minutes ago, coriolis888 said:

Here is a list of just some common non sugary foods that get converted after we eat them:

• Breakfast cereals.
  • Soda and fruit drinks.
  • White sugar.
  • Candy and desserts.
  • White and brown rice.
  • Fruit.

So, basically, carbs...

And I still drink 2L+ of Coke Zero daily. (I know, I know... but I'm not giving up my soda or pot)

5 hours ago, coriolis888 said:

Many people do not realize how bad sugar is on the body.  

Sugar can cause excess body weight and eventually cause diabetes and neuropathy after several years of consuming too much food that the body converts to sugar.  Neuropathy can lead to amputations of limbs. 

To make it even more difficult to understand, many foods that people think do not contain sugar, are converted to sugar after being eaten. 

Who would think that rice, spaghetti, pasta, potatoes and many other non sugary foods would be converted to sugar after we eat the food?

• Breakfast cereals.
  • Soda and fruit drinks.
  • White sugar.
  • Candy and desserts.
  • White and brown rice.
  • Fruit.

This is a very misleading post. There is a huge difference between naturally occuring sugars in foods such as fruits and vegetables and added sugar to many prepared foods such as soft drinks, candy, desserts, etc. The naturally occuring sugars will not harm you, the refined white sugars in all its forms will if taken to excess. 

Compared to many other areas, North American diets suck, generally speaking, and you see evidence of it daily on the streets and in the supermarkets and restaurants.

And btw, we all need sugar in our diets. Just the right kind. Potatoes and rice do not constitute a harmful source of sugar. 

18 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

This is a very misleading post. There is a huge difference between naturally occuring sugars in foods such as fruits and vegetables and added sugar to many prepared foods such as soft drinks, candy, desserts, etc. The naturally occuring sugars will not harm you, the refined white sugars in all its forms will if taken to excess. 

Compared to many other areas, North American diets suck, generally speaking, and you see evidence of it daily on the streets and in the supermarkets and restaurants.

And btw, we all need sugar in our diets. Just the right kind. Potatoes and rice do not constitute a harmful source of sugar. 

The important thing about food is the so-called glycemic index, which is roughly how quickly the food is converted to simple auger. White rice and potatoes are not healthy because they are high glycemic but brown rice and whole grain pasta are good because they have low glycemic index.

Past studies including by Harvard about potatoes have been debunked since they were poorly done. Study populations counted potato chips and french fries as potatoes they consumed and were counted. Current science includes white potatoes in a healthy diet if eaten correctly.

The glycemic index is more important to diabetics since blood sugar spikes are more critical to them than to those who are healthy and ear a balanced nutritional diet, such as myself.

5 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Very misleading?

Here is a link to a Harvard University study that essentially says what  I stated about potatoes:

Many other everyday foods also convert to sugar in the body after eaten.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/01/24/the-problem-with-potatoes/

Until recently, I had no idea that many common foods get converted to sugar after eaten. 

If you do a search for the subject, you will see that my initial post is not misleading.

8 minutes ago, coriolis888 said:

Very misleading?

Here is a link to a Harvard University study that essentially says what  I stated about potatoes:

Many other everyday foods also convert to sugar in the body after eaten.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/01/24/the-problem-with-potatoes/

Until recently, I had no idea that many common foods get converted to sugar after eaten. 

If you do a search for the subject, you will see that my initial post is not misleading.

I did a search and as I have indicated the Harvard study has been debunked. They counted potatoes consumed to include potato chips and french fries. 

Garbage in, garbage out.

And my quick research pointed out a lot of foods are converted into sugar after being eaten. That is natural and doesn' t hurt you as eating too much ADDED sugar to foods. 

I just happened to see a doc. on CBC this morning by Jamie, the British celebrity chef. In it he is going after added sugar in the British diet.

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

I did a search and as I have indicated the Harvard study has been debunked. They counted potatoes consumed to include potato chips and french fries. 

Garbage in, garbage out.

????

Do you know that potato chips and French fries are also potatoes?

The study was not debunked. 

I also was in denial about the numerous articles I read about the fact that many non sugar foods convert to sugar in the body after being consumed. 

It was not until I accompanied a good friend to his neurologist that I sat in on a discussion my friend had with his doctor warning my friend about the severe diabetic neuropathy he developed, likely in part, caused by the non sugar foods he ate. 

As difficult as it is to accept, it is more difficult to ignore countless medical studies that conclude that many food items (that are not sugar) get converted to sugar after being eaten.  

If we are lucky, the wise, knowledgeable and prolific poster known as @unicorn will bless us with his opinion on this subject.

Not a medical professional here by any means, but per my doctors, I’ve been monitoring my sugar now for 2 years. From what my doctor said to me, what I understood was that “natural sugars” are fine, it is the added refined white sugar, and manufactured sugar substitutes that are the problem. However, this only applies to an otherwise healthy patient, with no underlying or additional health conditions. 

If you’re an individual that is overweight, that they’re monitoring your A1C, your glucose, and if you had any of a variety of other medical conditions, even natural sugars are a problem. I don’t add or use a lot of refined white sugar in my daily diet, but I do have a sweet tooth, I like fruit, I love bread, and I do love Italian food. At one point for me, all those presented problems. Two years ago my A1C was 6.9, my glucose was 102, and I was considerably overweight (my heaviest ever). What followed for me was a complete diet, and yes, lifestyle change. 

I cut out all refined white sugar except for a teaspoon in my tea. I also cut out about 95% of carbs - no spuds, no white or brown rice, no pasta, no bread, no cookies, cake, candy.
I started using quinoa, cauliflower pasta, and veggie based wraps. I also increased my leafy green veg intake (thankfully, I always ate a lot of veg), and severely cut my fruit intake. I cut out all soda, juice, and started drinking only water - at least a gallon a day. 

Two years later, my A1C was down to 5.2, my glucose down to 85, and I have so far dropped 68 lbs. While I have relaxed some of my restrictions - I allow myself a baked potato or pasta once or twice a week; I let myself have some plain cookies or a candy bar if I get a craving - I have kept the majority of them. At this point I’m used to it all, and I don’t want to get my numbers that high again or be that heavy ever again. I have an appointment for blood work at the end of this month, so I’m hoping the numbers are even lower, and that I’ve dropped a few more pounds 🤞🏻

None of this is meant as being a braggadocio, just offering my own experience for anyone confronting this to show that yes you can make changes, and get results. I’m not saying it’s easy by any means - it can be challenging but the challenge I think is worth better health, and just feeling better yourself 👍🏻

BBD 

I just moved to FL

previous DR had started me on insulin before each meal to address blood sugar levels

new doctor here very radical.  Stop carbs thus stop insulin

wife bought book Wheat Belly diet and I changed nt diets 100%

I have lost 25 lbs in three months.  AIC. 6.8

no grains , breads, sugar

Been buying kito bread

a few Atkins prepared food

so far I am sold

it seems logical.   Either take insulin before meal to chase sugar level down or reduce carbs

Edited by DERRIK

I'm hypoglycemic ( not diabetic) but likely a result of the way I ate as a kid. Tons of candy / soda / fruit juice / Kool aid / pastries and every meal served with potatoes and bread.

Weight gain was not and is not my issue.

What I need to watch is dizziness and extreme and sudden exhaustion.

So yeah...I've been watching carbs for two decades.

One of my "cheats" is really good Belgian Fries..and yes I can attest to the fact that one big plate of fries and my glycemic index is fucked.

There's a company in the Bay Area called Virta Health that specializes in using low-carb diets (keto, specifically) in order to reverse diabetes. Looks like their research team has a 5-year study in place showing pretty good results.

virtahealth.com/patients

On 8/7/2022 at 5:39 AM, NJF said:

The important thing about food is the so-called glycemic index, which is roughly how quickly the food is converted to simple auger. White rice and potatoes are not healthy because they are high glycemic but brown rice and whole grain pasta are good because they have low glycemic index.

And sweet potatoes are far healthier than white potatoes.

Also calculate your HDL/triglyceride level. Good is below 2. In May, mine was .45! I do indulge in the occasional pint of super-premium local ice cream, but with my manic cardio and lifting program, I never gain a pound. What I need to lose is the wine. If I drop alcohol for a month, I get much leaner.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:33 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I'm hypoglycemic ( not diabetic) but likely a result of the way I ate as a kid. Tons of candy / soda / fruit juice / Kool aid / pastries and every meal served with potatoes and bread.

Weight gain was not and is not my issue.

What I need to watch is dizziness and extreme and sudden exhaustion.

So yeah...I've been watching carbs for two decades.

One of my "cheats" is really good Belgian Fries..and yes I can attest to the fact that one big plate of fries and my glycemic index is fucked.

Who would eat a plate of fries. Yesterday I had lunch at a restaurant and it included a chicken breast burger on a pretzel bun with half the plate covered in fries. They were tasty but I had only about 20, both short and long, with white vinegar and pepper. I left about 60 or so, just too much.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:00 AM, coriolis888 said:

• Breakfast cereals.
  • Soda and fruit drinks.
  • White sugar.
  • Candy and desserts.
  • White and brown rice.
  • Fruit.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:48 AM, samhexum said:

So, basically, carbs...

And I still drink 2L+ of Coke Zero daily. (I know, I know... but I'm not giving up my soda or pot)

Well, only half right. The harm comes from SIMPLE carbs, Complex carbs are much more healthful. Basically, if it's white or yellow, it's a problem. Brown-colored carb sources are much better because they usually represent complex carbohydrates (though NOT brown sugar!!!). Glucose or sucrose (which immediately gets converted into glucose and fructose in the saliva and in the intestines) put a stress on the pancreas to shoot out insulin, and diabetes basically represents a pooped-out pancreas (at least as far as producing insulin is concerned). Simple carbs, simply put, are those with a high glycemic index. Fruit and brown rice have lower glycemic indices so should be good choices to replace simple carbs. Generally, food with more fiber has a lower glycemic index, and is therefore less harmful to diabetics. The easiest way to accomplish this is to switch to whole grains. For example switch from white rice to whole grain rice, yellow pasta to whole grain pasta, and so on. In addition, the higher fiber in the whole grains slows the absorption of the sugars in those foods. 

Unfortunately, there's no good way to make up for the high glycemic index of potatoes (or sweet potatoes), so those should be avoided to the extent possible. And for the stubborn member who claims to have knowledge that potatoes have low glycemic indices, for some reason, the mature way to counter someone who quotes a Harvard study is to provide a reference to whatever scientific study he states "debunks" the Harvard study. I find the "You're wrong because I say you are" method of arguing rather childish. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

Note in that chart that potatoes have very high glycemic indices (around 80), much higher even than ice cream at 51. Also not that fructose, the kind of sugar predominant in fruit, has a low glycemic index (around 15). Fruit not only have lower glycemic indices, but they also have (generally) lots of fiber, which slows sugar absorption. Fruit are a much more healthful alternative than most other deserts. 

12 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Brown-colored carb sources are much better because they usually represent complex carbohydrates (though NOT brown sugar!!!).

Best to avoid Sugar for sure ...BUT

As someone who is very conscious of every teaspoon of carbs and/or sugar in my diet ..I can say confidently that there IS ( for me ) a HUGE difference in how my body responds to white sugar as opposed to brown sugar.

I can cheat a little with a bit of brown sugar in my foods ...never with white sugar.

26 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Well, only half right. The harm comes from SIMPLE carbs, Complex carbs are much more healthful. Basically, if it's white or yellow, it's a problem. Brown-colored carb sources are much better because they usually represent complex carbohydrates (though NOT brown sugar!!!). Glucose or sucrose (which immediately gets converted into glucose and fructose in the saliva and in the intestines) put a stress on the pancreas to shoot out insulin, and diabetes basically represents a pooped-out pancreas (at least as far as producing insulin is concerned). Simple carbs, simply put, are those with a high glycemic index. Fruit and brown rice have lower glycemic indices so should be good choices to replace simple carbs. Generally, food with more fiber has a lower glycemic index, and is therefore less harmful to diabetics. The easiest way to accomplish this is to switch to whole grains. For example switch from white rice to whole grain rice, yellow pasta to whole grain pasta, and so on. In addition, the higher fiber in the whole grains slows the absorption of the sugars in those foods. 

Unfortunately, there's no good way to make up for the high glycemic index of potatoes (or sweet potatoes), so those should be avoided to the extent possible. And for the stubborn member who claims to have knowledge that potatoes have low glycemic indices, for some reason, the mature way to counter someone who quotes a Harvard study is to provide a reference to whatever scientific study he states "debunks" the Harvard study. I find the "You're wrong because I say you are" method of arguing rather childish. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

Note in that chart that potatoes have very high glycemic indices (around 80), much higher even than ice cream at 51. Also not that fructose, the kind of sugar predominant in fruit, has a low glycemic index (around 15). Fruit not only have lower glycemic indices, but they also have (generally) lots of fiber, which slows sugar absorption. Fruit are a much more healthful alternative than most other deserts. 

Cold, leftover carbs like potato salad are "resistant starch," - whole different ball game.  Also, some of those low-to-moderate glycemic index carbs contain proteins called lectins which are thought to be unhealthful.