Sugar & its effect on health

samhexum

On 8/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I'm hypoglycemic ( not diabetic) but likely a result of the way I ate as a kid. Tons of candy / soda / fruit juice / Kool aid / pastries and every meal served with potatoes and bread.

Weight gain was not and is not my issue.

What I need to watch is dizziness and extreme and sudden exhaustion.

So yeah...I've been watching carbs for two decades.

One of my "cheats" is really good Belgian Fries..and yes I can attest to the fact that one big plate of fries and my glycemic index is fucked.

I have that too.  They call it "reactive hypoglycemia."   I have completely stopped eating pancakes and waffles for breakfast.  If I have pancakes or waffles at breakfast, less than an hour later, I get dizzy and break out in a cold sweat - even if I have used sugar-free syrup.

3 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I have that too.  They call it "reactive hypoglycemia.

I hired a nutritionist to deal with it. He recommended a high protein breakfast everyday.

He said the habit of Americans to eat cereal or muffins / bagels or other carb only breakfasts with coffee is a prelude to diabetes late in life.

10 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I hired a nutritionist to deal with it. He recommended a high protein breakfast everyday.

He said the habit of Americans to eat cereal or muffins / bagels or other carb only breakfasts with coffee is a prelude to diabetes late in life.

For me, it's eggs and oatmeal nearly every morning.

12 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I remember a doctor telling me YEARS ago the same. If I recall correctly, the carb heavy breakfast, (as well as a big, heavy lunch), we’re carry overs from when what we did for work was active, and our bodies needed the fuel. Today, (and for the past 60 or so years), work is mostly sedentary so our bodies don’t need the fuel, and we don’t burn it off. 

Most days, I start out with a bowl of steel cut oatmeal, sometimes with a handful of blueberries tossed in. Two or three times a week, it will be eggs. When I remember to have lunch, it’s usually a green salad. My doctor would like me to have 4-5 small meals throughout the day, but that doesn’t really work for me 🤷🏼‍♂️ But one perseveres! 

For me it's 3 proper meals a day eaten more or less at the same times. My days of late evening dining are long gone. I also am an early riser so breakfast is usually done by 7:30.

Eggs practically every morning with one slice of whole grain toast. The usual is a simple boiled or poached egg. On weekends a larger breakfast with sausage, ham, tomato or hashed brown potatoes with 2 eggs, scrambled or sunny side up. A single orange (US, Spain, S. Africa or Israel) depending on time of year. Avoid juice from supermarket. Black decaf.

Usually a salad for lunch but often a sandwich and soup in the winter.

Dinner always a complete meal with meat or fish, veggies and a glass of wine. One cocktail before.

It may sound boring but I only buy fresh ingredients on an almost daily basis. The one type of shopping I enjoy is for food. Something different each day. Eggs I get at a farm outside of town. Farm fresh, can't be beat.

5 hours ago, Luv2play said:

It may sound boring but I only buy fresh ingredients

It actually sounds a lot like what my nutritionist and doctor recommend.

I start every day with an egg white/ cheese and avocado omelette.

Wrap or salad for lunch

One glass of wine ( two on the weekend ) and alternating fish / chicken - red meat once a week.

Sugar & carbs I allow myself a cheat day once a week. I love my pastries.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

12 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Any trainer or doc worth their salt ...

Or, better yet, any trainers or docs worth their salt substitutes... 😉

Mrs Dash Clearance, 44% OFF | www.enaco.com.pe

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, johnjohn said:

I have been on Metformin  about  4  weeks,  you will lose weight if you take it  and not make it to the toliet ,alot,  

Would you rather wet your pants in public or poop your pants in public?  Why? - Quora

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/6/2022 at 1:24 AM, samhexum said:

My doctor told me in January that I have to start getting my act together (not his words, but the gist) because my A1C had reached 8.6.

Of course I got right on it in April.  I still haven't started trying to diet, but...  I've been watching my sugar intake and taking my diabetes medication for about 3+ months.  Went to the doc Wednesday, & I'm down 17 pounds since January and my A1C went from 8.6 to 6.8.

Down another 5 pounds, BP 120/60, blood sugar 124, EKG just fine-a-rooney! A1C 6.7.  Imagine if I made more than a half-hearted effort!

2327318.gif

On 8/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, pubic_assistance said:

You've probably never had GOOD fries.

Belgian Pomme Frites are addictive

I've eaten my share of good fries. In many places including Brussels, Paris, Geneva and even in North America including Quebec, the whole province, not just Montreal. But even if they were addictive, I didn't succumb to their tasty allure. I'm just not the addictive type.

• 3 weeks later...