Museums

foxy

A while back there was a longish post about favorite museums which I enjoyed reading. I like museums. All different kinds and can spend hours wandering around in them. I belong to 9 museums in NYC. I like feeling my $$$ is supporting something worthwhile and you can often get a tax deduction from your membership. I join mostly because they are fun, I might learn something and most importantly having an experience with something truly great and beautiful can be a profound experience. And sometimes I just need to run in and use the bathroom. 
Some new exhibits are opening soon in Manhattan. Most recently at the Morgan Library I enjoyed the exhibit of the paintings of Hans Holbein the Younger whose portraits are astonishing. Upstairs and totally different is an exhibit of the American icon Woodie Guthrie. Both worth seeing. 
https://www.themorgan.org

So maybe we could have a Museum category in the Comedy & Tragedy forum?

C409A1DA-0EF6-483A-B756-910210F8FD95.jpeg

Edited by foxy

I love the idea. I've always been into museums since I was a kid. My parents enrolled me in the Montréal Museum.of Fine Arts when I was 7 in their Saturday childrens art classes. Spent 5 years there.

Today I am helping set up a new small museum in my town. Lots of fun.

Edited by Luv2play

Like you, @foxy, I LOVE museums. I have a rather short museum time tolerance before I want to go outside, so also like you it is not unusual for me to hit a bunch of museums when traveling. Currently, I belong to the Phoenix Art Museum and The Desert Botanical Garden. Both of my memberships are at the level where I get reciprocal memberships at several museums/botanic gardens, and I take advantage of them whenever I travel. 

One of my favorite museums is the Mingei International Museum in San Diego. It is a tiny museum that focuses on folk art, craft, and design located in a historic building in equally historic Balboa Park. They recently completed a complete reimagination of the museum. For me, it's a must-see when visiting. 

For museum lovers who live in or visit LA and who travel, LACMA's Friend Level membership is an incredible deal. While the museum itself is, uh, "lackluster," the Friend Level membership offers reciprocal admission at both The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Art Institute of Chicago as well as 22 other museums. I don't know of any other museum that offers reciprocal privileges at both The Met and ARTIC. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 1:08 PM, Summerson said:

I enjoy museums too. The Morgan is one of my favorites. I always used to have a membership when I lived in NYC. 

Today is the first time that I've come to this particular forum, and I am elated that I chose to do so, for I, too, enjoy and like museums, esp.ones that are devoted to art, very--very much.

Two weeks ago I got the opportunity to go to San Francisco's de Young Museum to take in "The Obama Portraits" and Faith Reingold's timely and varied works.  It was a day of wonderful artistic exploration for me.

Currently, at SFMOMA is a superb display of some of Diego Rivera's works.  I must drive up to take it all in.

Yes, I love art museums and have been fortunate to have experienced some of the world's best from the Louve,  The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Chicago Museum of Art, The Picasso, Miro's, and others....

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 11:01 PM, kingsley88 said:

I also enjoy going to Morgan Library! I used to love going to the Morgan Dining room restaurant for dinner, where they served early 20th century cuisine (or inspired by it!) 

Has the Morgan Library not just undergone a restoration? I've never visited it but would like to having read about it recently.