Abercrombie Upcoming Documentary

27 minutes ago, MscleLovr said:

I’m keen to see this on Netflix soon. I wonder how it’ll handle all the rampant homoeroticism of the branding then. Although it was some 20 years ago, it now feels like another era. 

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/netflix-white-hot-abercrombie-and-fitch-documentary-1235220471/amp/

I also wonder how they're going to explain their choice to reduce the sizes of their clothes to keep out of shape people from wearing their brand.

Originally I think they were a brand known for well-made sportswear. They later hired well-made models instead. 
Since I was their (25ish?)age, I’ve not been as attracted to the boyish type they represent and sell to. I admire their ad photography, though - always great lighting, with pretty flesh. I doubt Netflix will skimp on sharing. 

Edited by jeezifonly

6 hours ago, Poincare said:

I have heard from two adult male entertainers who were flown to Morocco for the birthday bash for the the big home CEO?  It was epic.  The stories are unreal.

I believe it @Poincare. I was dating a young man when he became an Abercrombie cover-model. There was a competitive casting in NYC and he won a fat paycheck. And he related in detail to me how he had to show his gratitude the next evening and overnight. 

14 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Originally I think they were a brand known for well-made sportswear. They later hired well-made models instead. 
Since I was their (25ish?)age, I’ve not been as attracted to the boyish type they represent and sell to. I admire their ad photography, though - always great lighting, with pretty flesh. I doubt Netflix will skimp on sharing. 

The original store on Madison Ave was for sportsmen and hunters.  There were mounted trophy animals heads all around the store.  It was the type of place that if you were going on an African safari, they could completely outfit you.

If memory serves me right, they sold hunting rifles.  They could custom made a rifle to your exact specifications.  I think that back in the 1960’s and 1970’s you could spend more than $20,00 on such rifles (that was REAL money at the time). 

34 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

The original store on Madison Ave was for sportsmen and hunters.  There were mounted trophy animals heads all around the store.  It was the type of place that if you were going on an African safari, they could completely outfit you.

If memory serves me right, they sold hunting rifles.  They could custom made a rifle to your exact specifications.  I think that back in the 1960’s and 1970’s you could spend more than $20,00 on such rifles (that was REAL money at the time). 

Yeah, A&F was around in the early 20th C as the “leisure class” emerged, and, men being men, leisure activity included killing things for no reason. 

15 hours ago, bigjoey said:

if you were going on an African safari, they could completely outfit you.

I don’t doubt it @bigjoey I’ve been on safari in Africa several times. My Abercrombie underwear performed well and was often admired.

15 hours ago, bigjoey said:

There were mounted trophy animals heads all around the store.

14 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

in the early 20th C…the “leisure class” emerged, and…leisure activity included killing things

I never killed anything on safari. I did shoot copious loads but then I was always accompanied by my trophy-boys.

• 4 weeks later...

My partner "Chris" and I saw the documentary last week. He worked for them a decade ago as a model/salesman, and felt somewhat embarrassed at how racist they were (he didn't realize it at the time, but he was only 19). I was never interested in their stuff, but it looks as though the company has turned around. I do vaguely remember them as a sporting goods store, and thought it was strange how they'd changed about 20 years ago. I'm glad there aren't companies that behave now they way they used to behave.

• 1 year later...

The BBC has published allegations that men were recruited by middlemen for sex events with Mike Jeffries and his partner Matthew Smith:

BBC News

The ex-CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch and his British partner face allegations of exploitation from men recruited for sex events they hosted around the world.

A BBC investigation found a highly organised network used a middleman to find young men for the events with Mike Jeffries and Matthew Smith.

Eight men told the BBC they attended these events, some of whom alleged they were exploited or abused.

Has anyone watched the British documentary "Abercrombie Guys: The Dark Side of Cool" which premiered recently on Panorama ? 

Unfortunately, it's not available in the US at this time. I read reviews from British viewers who said that doc is 100 times better than this one on Netflix. Thoughts ? Does anyone know how anyone in the US can access it (any good free VPN proxy to share?) ?

Edited by Ali Gator

I haven't seen the documentary.  I did just finish the podcast and am deeply saddened at all these men experienced. These men had the capacity to do so much good in the world,  and instead, they created a well-oiled machine that often manipulated young men who aspired to be models.  You can listen to it here:

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

An aspiring male model encounters a fashion mogul, but it's far from a dream opportunity.

I think you can watch the documentary on BBC Select, which you can access through Amazon Prime, Roku Channel, and AppleTV. 

On 5/8/2022 at 4:31 AM, Unicorn said:

I'm glad there aren't companies that behave now they way they used to behave.

I was blissfully unaware of all this behind the scenes drama.

I do miss their Hollister-brand store near my gym. The models were always stunning and wore the jeans one size too big so it hung low enough to expose their ass and a bit of pube.

There were a few I just wanted to bite, they were so delicious.

Like the Playboy Club, the times have made these kinds of flesh marketing strategies impossible. I miss the days where my pure ignorance of the alleged abuses allowed me to just enjoy the show.