Does intermittent PREP really work?

socurious

Is it 100% safe?

It is also known as “intermittent,” “non-daily,” “event-driven,” or “off-label” PrEP use. The type of “on-demand” PrEP that has been studied is the “2-1-1” schedule. This means taking 2 pills 2-24 hours before sex, 1 pill 24 hours after the first dose, and 1 pill 24 hours after the second dose.

There are several existing threads here about a 2-1-1 PrEP schedule.

Is it 100% anything?  No.  

What is does do is require more thinking about when/where and how.  Unlike the simplicity of one a day, with 2-1-1 you've got to keep up with a specific pill schedule.  Some people can easily handle this, while others can't even follow a one-and-done without threat of missing doses.  

It's really about what works best for you.  PrEP remains 99% effective against the transmission of HIV and reaches maximum protection at around 7 days after daily use.

I tried it and it didn’t work out for me because of one of the possible side effects: diarrhea 😞

I’m someone who plans encounters ahead of time—like way ahead of time—so the 2-1-1 regimen made a lot of sense to me. But alas, I had to rule it out because of that particular side effect. 

How do you know that you're going to have sex within the next 24 hours though? Even when I've gone on my sex tourist vacations I didn't plan our my hiring schedule and I didn't hire every single day. It was very ad-hoc based on how much regular touristy stuff I'd checked off my list and how much time in the day I had left.

If a daily pill regimen sounds too tedious then just stick to condoms.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:35 PM, Quincy_7 said:

How do you know that you're going to have sex within the next 24 hours though? Even when I've gone on my sex tourist vacations I didn't plan our my hiring schedule and I didn't hire every single day. It was very ad-hoc based on how much regular touristy stuff I'd checked off my list and how much time in the day I had left.

‘On demand’ is simply code for NOT long-term continuity. On sex-centric holidays it can be ‘on demand’ without truncating at 2:1:1 … for example, if I am away for 4 weeks I start with 1 Truvada per day for a week prior to travel or 2 primers within that frame but no later than 2 hours prior to first trick. Then 1 per day for the 4 weeks of play and 1 final Truvada 24 as well as 48 hours past the final trick. Typically all doses around the same time of day. And condoms are used reciprocally consistently as well. I do feel nauseous at times, and even very modest alcohol intake seems to exacerbate it, so if there is a substantial break (celibacy) within the vacation period I just use common sense as to stopping temporarily and trying to anticipate the need for a renewed 2-dose bioavailability priming. Or adjust if necessary by postponing intercourse.

Edited by SirBillybob

On 3/27/2022 at 10:35 AM, Quincy_7 said:

I literally make appointments for sex. I rarely go out to bars, and when I do, I don’t pick up any guys. Also, since I’m very paranoid about making a mess, I fast for a day before having sex, which obviously takes planning.

For some of us, sex just isn’t a spontaneous thing. 

On 3/24/2022 at 11:48 PM, jeezifonly said:

Yep, diarrhea. I was on a regimen that included Truvada for a couple of years - Imodium helped!  The intermittent dosage saves money, as Prep is ‘resistant’ to insurance coverage 🤨 but if you haven’t planned as carefully as the pre/post regimen demands, you are at risk, so don’t forget condoms!

I switched to Descovy and no longer have the stomach problems caused by Truvada.  If affordability is a concern, check out https://heymistr.com/  They will apply for patient assistance from the manufacturer on your behalf and in almost all cases it helps a great deal with affordability (in most cases free).  Doctors consultations and quarterly testing is included and free. 

That being said - I am not sure that Descovy is approved for non-daily Prep.  If you like that approach, you should probably stick with Truvada unless your doctor recommends it.

Edited by FrankR

2 hours ago, sniper said:

You guys know generic Truvada is on the market now, right? I think in the haze of the pandemic this didn't get nearly the news coverage it warrants. It's far, far cheaper now, and I assume less likely the insurer will put up a fight.

If you mean by generic not manufactured by Gilead but the same constituent elements tenofovir-emtricitabine I have been taking such versions for almost 3 years. 

8 hours ago, sniper said:

You guys know generic Truvada is on the market now, right? I think in the haze of the pandemic this didn't get nearly the news coverage it warrants. It's far, far cheaper now, and I assume less likely the insurer will put up a fight.

5 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

If you mean by generic not manufactured by Gilead but the same constituent elements tenofovir-emtricitabine I have been taking such versions for almost 3 years. 

Once my annual deductible kicks in, I think my generic Truvada is $3.07/month.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, SirBillybob said:

‘On demand’ is simply code for NOT long-term continuity. On sex-centric holidays it can be ‘on demand’ without truncating at 2:1:1 … for example, if I am away for 4 weeks I start with 1 Truvada per day for a week prior to travel or 2 primers within that frame but no later than 2 hours prior to first trick. Then 1 per day for the 4 weeks of play and 1 final Truvada 24 as well as 48 hours past the final trick. Typically all doses around the same time of day. And condoms are used reciprocally consistently as well. I do feel nauseous at times, and even very modest alcohol intake seems to exacerbate it, so if there is a substantial break (celibacy) within the vacation period I just use common sense as to stopping temporarily and trying to anticipate the need for a renewed 2-dose bioavailability priming. Or adjust if necessary by postponing intercourse.

"Trick" - that's not a word  you here very much anymore.

On 4/11/2022 at 4:54 AM, sniper said:

It has been available from offshore for years.

1 hour ago, Hlparx said:

I forgot to mention I’m on Medicare with a supplemental Rx plan. Before I turned 65 ( barely a year ago) my Truvada was essentially free, with Gilead program covering $50 co-pay. That program doesn’t apply to government insurance programs, so when I went on Medicare that co-pay program stopped. I’m content with my current plan and accept the fact it takes me 3-4 months to hit my annual deductible then everything is very inexpensive.

The bottom line is that intermittent or "on demand" PREP is less effective than long term daily PREP.

Nonetheless, it’s infinitely better than taking nothing. 

If you’re an "everyday" or "spontaneous" whore….I’d advise daily PREP.

If you’re a "scheduled" or "vacation only" whore…I’d still advise daily, but offer "on demand". 

On 4/18/2022 at 12:57 AM, nycman said:

The bottom line is that intermittent or "on demand" PREP is less effective than long term daily PREP.

Nonetheless, it’s infinitely better than taking nothing. 

If you’re an "everyday" or "spontaneous" whore….I’d advise daily PREP.

If you’re a "scheduled" or "vacation only" whore…I’d still advise daily, but offer "on demand". 

Where do condoms come in for you?

I don’t know exactly what “really” means here. Actually in truth, or a lot.

My sense is that the best approach is to define what satisfactorily working for you would look like, then explore the scientific data for a comparison with your requirements, expectations, etc.

Are you alluding to a comparator such as daily uptake, or are you inquiring about specific effectiveness of on-demand? Do you wish a handful of opinions about one format versus another, or are you thinking on-demand would be the better practical option for you, thus seeking info about that specific format to inform your choice about it?

I believe there are data that exist and are easily accessible on the public domain.

Also, by “safe” is what is meant effectiveness, or pharmacological adverse events? The 100% question does not clarify the direction of the inquiry.

Edited by SirBillybob