DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

samhexum

For people with children ( like me ) we are opposed to having our kids head out for school in the pitch black of night.

Changing the clock means the mornings are in daylight and the sun goes down after the kids are home.

Without changing the clocks it is VERY dark in the Northern Hemisphere when it's time to leave for classes.

2 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

I don't doubt that Floridians are less concerned about dark mornings than Northerners. As there is an earlier sunrise in Florida than there is in New York State.

I will hold my comments about Rubio in general, since the political forum is closed for the season.

Edited by pubic_assistance

For most of my career I worked weekends, so the time change 2x/yr was crucial to showing up at the right time Sunday. Most of this was also without a device (smartphone) for verification. 
Being retired, the actual time change has less power to jack me up.

I’m weary of the arguments about it every year. I don’t give a damn if kids have to go to school in the dark - first world problems. Plenty of people go to work in the dark, come home in the dark.  Start school later. Too much sun in the morning? Buy shades. 

I hope we can just pick one and make it permanent. It’s silly. 

playing around with a sunset/sunrise website, I find that sunset in somewhat-northerly Spokane, WA, fairly near the east end of the Pacific time zone, is at a surprising 3:58pm PST in mid-December!!........obviously, it'd be an hour later with the proposed year-round DST (and so would sunrise for all those kids in the dark!)......nearly due-south in Blythe, CA, also near the east end of the Pacific time zone, sunset is about 35 minutes later on the same day.......just across the Colorado River in Arizona (MST zone), sunset is obviously a more-comfortable hour layer (5:34pm MST)....

so, as also suggested upthread, your latitude and your position within a time zone greatly affect your sunset and sunrise times.......could be interesting to see how our representatives and senators vote on this new proposal based on their latitude and position within a time zone!!.......

Edited by azdr0710

3 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

…so, as also suggested upthread, your latitude and your position within a time zone greatly affect your sunset and sunrise times.......could be interesting to see how our representatives and senators vote on this new proposal based on their latitude and position within a time zone!!.......

Perfect. Half of our legislature can’t read a calendar or a watch…

30 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Because you don't HAVE kids. 

Those of us who do actually care about this. 

Yes, and I am only speaking for myself, just as all of do when posting. 

I pay sq/ft taxes for a family of five, which go to the great public schools in my city, which I do not burden with kids of my own. I don’t want to rob anyone of their say. We tell our representatives, I guess is how we do that. 

I just want the semi-annual debate settled one way or another. Some folks will be disappointed, sorry if that will include you. 

5 hours ago, Boink said:

The amount of darkness in the morning...

Morning, as defined by my partner "something that happens before I wake up." 😄

8 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Yes, and I am only speaking for myself, just as all of do when posting. 

I was raised in a way that community is as important as my own opinion ...so I forget that some people act in the most selfish way and don't give a damn about others.

But correct. I respect your right to have your own opinion. Just giving perspective as to why MANY people are going to disagree with doing away with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...