Take Me Out revival

On Broadway at the Helen Hayes Theater. Now in previews

Staring: Jesse Williams, Patrick J. Adams, Jesse Tyler Furguson

Baseball players come out of closet taking showers in the locker room

Apparently the management is locking cell phones to prevent snaps of dicks and asses 

Saw it twice! Superb acting. Jesse W is great...and very hung, uc. Patrick Adams, excellent too. The actor who played Shane, Michael something is terrific and made me swoon. Gorgeous guy, yummy thick chest hair. One of the Latino guys, Edgar R... stunningly beautiful. Well worth seeing. The theater is tiny so you should be able to get an eyeful...

Saw it on March 11th and will be seeing it again next week. The show and “the live nude show” are both worthwhile. I’m pretty sure most of the audience are gay men. Jesse Williams is indeed hung and uncut it looks like. The entire cast is fit and both the Latino cast members were muy caliente. I was pleasantly surprised to see Julian Cihi from “Only Murderers In The Building”. Looking forward to my front row seat on the 29th.

Jesse Williams has always been handsome to me but seeing him in person and nude was next level. They talk a lot about the nudity in this play but I do think they should have added a trigger warning for the language. The audience’s gasps made me chuckle though.

Edited by DruJac

I saw the play first at the Joseph Papp Public Theater in 2002 twice. Today I saw this new production. 20 years was long enough for me to have forgotten a lot of the plot details so in some ways it seemed new to me. It’s a good play and much of it still feels relevant. 
It’s interesting that naked men on stage still seems like a big deal. 

@foxy, Hard to believe that its been 20 years since this show was on Broadway. Like you, I saw it a couple of times.

Sadly, what’s different from 20 years ago is what it takes to enter the theater. Yes, the Covid restrictions are still in place: masks, proof of vaccine, ID’s, but the unusual one was locking your phones in a case to prevent anyone from taking pictures or videos. 

I enjoyed the play and thought the acting was well done. Jesse Tyler Ferguson, better know for Modern family, was very funny!

The  performance I saw was sold out. Not sure if it was because of this revival of this award winning show or the nudity. Maybe a lot of people just like baseball. 😉 

It’s an easy ticket to get at TKTS. 

11 hours ago, Cooper said:

but the unusual one was locking your phones in a case to prevent anyone from taking pictures or videos. 

These you will see at an increasing number of shows in the future.  The systems have gotten more efficient and it's now easy to keep your device with you- locked in the case- and have an usher quickly unlock at intermission and/or as you're exiting the theatre.

If people can't be trusted to sit quietly for two hours, then these pouches are a necessary evil.  I've had entirely too many Broadway and touring shows ruined due to asshole audience members who answer calls, send texts, take video/pics during the production.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

In the “good old days” during Shakespeare’s time it was common practice for people to yell and boo at the actors often throwing fruit at them. I believe opera performances were equally raucous. So I suppose todays audiences are not as bad by comparison. Still I have no problem tapping people who are talking during a performance with my playbill and putting a finger to my lips to signify they should shut up. I’d like to think my expression is one of sadness that they are idiots and don’t know better. This is hard to do wearing a mask. 

I also saw the play at the Public 20 years ago, and then after it transferred to Broadway.  I saw the current production this past weekend and enjoyed it.  Listening to some of the conversations of other audience members around me during intermission and after the show, the response to locking up the phones was viewed as positive since all the audience members who commented said it was great to not have the distraction of some idiot's glowing screen during the performance irregardless of the concern over filming the cast during "vulnerable" moments.  A couple of people who had also seen the play 20 years ago seemed to remember that there were there two shower scenes with most of the team members, not just one as in the current production (in addition to the one with only Darren and Shane).  My memory on that isn't clear at all. 

There is a line about the difference between democracy and baseball being that baseball acknowledges that the loser has actually lost - unlike democracy, which of course,  got a huge laugh.   If that line was in the original production, I don't think it had the same reaction as it did today.   I also noted that racist language hit much harder now that it seemed to 20 years ago.  Beforehand, I was wondering if the play would be dated today - my conclusion was not really, although I have read some comments to the contrary.  Any yes, the nudity is right up front, well lit, and lingers for a while and Jesse Williams is indeed "blessed".

How could I have missed the NY Times review? Their critic says:

At its best, “Take Me Out,” which opened on Monday in a fine revival at the Helen Hayes Theater, is a five-tool play. It’s (1) funny, with an unusually high density of laughs for a yarn that is (2) quite serious, and (3) cerebral without undermining its (4) emotion. I’m not sure whether (5) counts as one tool or many, but “Take Me Out” gives meaty roles to a team of actors, led in this Second Stage Theater production by Jesse Williams as Lemming and Jesse Tyler Ferguson as his fanboy business manager.

In full: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/04/theater/take-me-out-review.html

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first play I had ever seen on Broadway back in summer 2003. It was groundbreaking. I couldn't believe I was seeing a naked man onstage (I was a teenager back then). Back then they didnt' have yondr pouches but then again none of us had smartphones either.

I saw the revival recently and though this cast is hot and talented, I personally preferred Sunjata back in 2003! I also think Denis O'Hare was better than JTF. Definitely see this revival if you can!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 2:21 AM, Cooper said:

@foxy, Hard to believe that its been 20 years since this show was on Broadway. Like you, I saw it a couple of times.

the unusual one was locking your phones in a case to prevent anyone from taking pictures or videos. 

Where do they lock the phones up at?   Is it in pouch in front of your seat or do you leave them with an employee when you enter to rerieve them later?

I'll have a huge issue with that policy medically wise if it's not within a few feet of me.   My continuous glucose monitor is connected to my phones bluetooth.   I can access the readings on my apple watch but the phone needs to be near me

The phone is locked in a pouch that is in your possession at all times.  That said, they ask that it be powered off before you put it in the pouch.  I don't recall them actually checking to see it was turned off, but if it rang or made noise while in the pouch you likely wouldn't be able to silence it if you left it on without muting it.