Traveling abroad with a cell phone

xyz48B

In a few months, I’m taking a provider on vacation with me. We’re looking forward to it. He’s someone I vibe with and it’ll be fun. Sex and sites. All around.

I want to take my own phone along. Who’s done that? What’s entailed in getting an international “plan?” We’re travelling over April into May. Will it require two months of an upgraded plan? It seems like a lot to pay for a week…How has that worked for any of you who’ve travelled abroad. The last time I was abroad, I lived in Germany for months so I just got a phone plan. This will just be a week…I’ll need a phone, but can’t fathom getting a local “plan” for a week.

1 hour ago, xyz48B said:

In a few months, I’m taking a provider on vacation with me. We’re looking forward to it. He’s someone I vibe with and it’ll be fun. Sex and sites. All around.

I want to take my own phone along. Who’s done that? What’s entailed in getting an international “plan?” We’re travelling over April into May. Will it require two months of an upgraded plan? It seems like a lot to pay for a week…How has that worked for any of you who’ve travelled abroad. The last time I was abroad, I lived in Germany for months so I just got a phone plan. This will just be a week…I’ll need a phone, but can’t fathom getting a local “plan” for a week.

I have not done this myself, but I think you can purchase a SIM card at your destination and use that for local calls.  I'm not all that technologically savvy, so others can probably advise better...

If you use AT&T just sign up for the "International Day Pass".
Then whenever you use your phone it’s only $10 per day.
You also get unlimited data for that day, which is critical if
like me you use your smart phone for just about everything. 

It works in over 200 countries. The only country I’ve been to
recently that wasn’t on their "list" is South Africa. I did just 
fine living off the hotel WiFi and carrying the phone just 
for "emergencies", until I got to the airport and they suddenly
wanted 5 online COVID forms filed out and there was no WiFi
at the airport. That was a nightmare. 

If your going to be in one country from more than 2-3 weeks,
then I think a SIM card starts to make sense. Then again, I’ve
never really understood SIM cards, so I’m not the best to ask. 

Edited by nycman

Your hotel will have fine wifi and with that you can text, messager, WhatsApp and use the internet. I use an app for international free calls called iGroove. It's almost free. If you plan on talking on the phone a lot you may want to get your cell company's international plan. They're all different. Or a Sim card. I never do. I text more than call. 

Check with your mobile phone provider. Interestingly, when I drive on Interstate 8 from San Diego to Phoenix Verizon sends me texts welcoming me to Mexico and offering a discounted one-day pass to use my phone in Mexico. It happens because in some places I-8 is less than a mile from the border and the phone bounces off a tower located in Mexico. Never mind I never leave the US. My point in mentioning this is your provider might offer you a temporary international plan upgrade. 

Well, I switched last December from At&T to T Mobile and from

4 hours ago, nycman said:

I switched from years of AT&T to T Mobile last November. I go to Europe at least twice a year for a couple of weeks and with AT&T the plan was either paying $10 per day or using a local SIM card with rechargeable MB.

I went to Italy last December and T Mobile includes International Data at no charge, which is a lot. Calls are at 30 cents per minute, but I call either with Skype or WhatsApp, so....

First port of call is always your mobile service provider, they will have options (as references above to AT&T attest). They may have more than one way to do it, so you need to research. I'm in a different country so my experience is not directly relevant, but my provider offers add-ons for up to seven days for data, voice and text, or both that don't use my plan credits. On some of their plans they offer a roaming fee (like the AT&T plan) that uses your home credits. They also have (very high) default call and data charges if you don't set something up. YMMV.

Buying a local SIM is always an option, but you need to weigh the disadvantages of not being on your usual number: you won't receive incoming calls, and if you call people in your life they won't know it's you. (Your WhatsApp will continue to work regardless.)

You can minimise your use of your plan credits by using WiFi (including for regular calls and texts if your phone can be set up to do that, or if it does so automatically). That is less important, or even irrelevant, if your roaming deal is a flat daily fee, but important if you're charged by the amount of usage.

There is always the option of calling (or checking the web page of) your provider, asking what their option is and saying, 'That sounds fine'.

Verizon is also $10 per day when you use it. Just go online and click the countries you’ll be visiting. As others said, use WhatsApp and your hotel or Airbnb’s Wi-Fi as much as possible. Other apps like AllTrails are free to use and don’t gobble up data as Google Maps does. Just download the areas you’ll be visiting in advance. Mexico and Canada are included in my basic plan.

I have T-Mobile Simple Choice, I think that plan may be obsolete but I'm grandfathered. I do think they have a new similar plan. I pay one monthly charge and it's good almost globally, with just a few exceptions. It just works. The data is slow speed but does work. When I need something fast I can usually find WiFI for the price of a cup of coffee, and hotels these days usually include it.

I’m on Verizon and the switch while traveling is seamless. I don’t mind paying the 10$ daily travel pass. If you want to connect with providers, I usually just use WhatsApp. Verizon has a new plan that allows you to accrue 1 travelpass per month and free Canada and Mexico data.  It suits me for my monthly trips to see my family in Toronto. 

10 hours ago, nycman said:

It works in over 200 countries. The only country I’ve been to
recently that wasn’t on their "list" is South Africa. I did just 
fine living off the hotel WiFi and carrying the phone just 
for "emergencies", until I got to the airport and they suddenly
wanted 5 online COVID forms filed out and there was no WiFi
at the airport. That was a nightmare. 

If your going to be in one country from more than 2-3 weeks,
then I think a SIM card starts to make sense. Then again, I’ve
never really understood SIM cards, so I’m not the best to ask. 

Also it depends on what country you are traveling to.  AT&T has free roaming in some countries like Mexico and the "International Day Pass" is not required.  Need to check their website for other countries.  When I was in Puerto Vallarta I used my cell phone just like in the US without any additional charges.

Thanks, guys. All helpful info…

I will talk with AT&T. I like having an idea what I should talk about with the folks there. So you’ve provided that.

I don’t expect to be on the phone a lot while abroad. Part of the point is to get away. But if we’re out and I need to make a call to the site about a reservation for a tour or want to call a restaurant or whatnot, I want to know I can. I definitely planned on uaing wifi at the resort. As far as communicating with folks at home, that should be more than sufficient.

On a related, but not directly related note – how easy it is to change the SIM card in an iPhone 11? On my previous phone, there was a slot in the side for the SIM card, but that’s not on my current phone. 

Your iPhone 11 is “dual SIM” capable.

Most likely you have your current ATT on the replaceable “nano-SIM” in the pop out tray.

I would suggest you go to your local ATT provider and ask them to move the ATT account to the built in electronic “eSIM”. That is easy for them to do.

That now opens up the built in “nano-SIM” tray for use with a physical nano-SIM (the very tiny one) to be installed from wherever during your travels.

12 hours ago, xyz48B said:

Keep it simply and use WhatsApp for all your calls and texts, also check your email only when you have a secure connection like in hotel or a restaurant. 

One more thing... phones could be seized and checked while entering the US, delete all the data you don't want others to see like any financial agreement with your guy. 

Is he a United States citizen? 

That would be more of an issue if he weren’t US-American. I’m more concerned about smuggling too much scotch back into the US in my checked luggage 😆 And even that I’m not too worried about. Over 10 years ago I smuggled fresh bratwurst back from Germany despite not being allowed to legally…It never was detected. I doubt the sniffer dogs are trained to ferret out McCallan! 😂 

Once I was passing through Heathrow and bringing an Italian sausage home to the USA. 

I got stopped and searched.

They said "we're sorry but just so you know, sausages look like bombs on X-ray" 

When I expressed surprise that they weren't confiscating it he said,
"that's the Americans' problem, not ours" and laughed as he placed it back in my bag. 

Edited by nycman