What do callers hear when you block their calls?

This topic is 825 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It seems like I'm constantly blocking calls from robocallers, etc. Yet new ones pop up daily. When someone dials a blocked call, what does he hear? Does it just ring and not answer? Does he get a message stating his number has been blocked and the person called doesn't want to receive his calls? Or just some generic message saying the person he called isn't available?

Wow. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know they were simply sent to voice-mail and not notified. I just found a large mass of voice-mails from blocked numbers, including ten from a "Claire" 400 miles away who wants to "make a cash offer for my property." 

49 minutes ago, nycman said:

Interesting question, but who the fuck cares?

I blocked your ass for a reason!

I'm guessing my VM could have filled up. Also, I thought callers were made aware that I didn't want to receive any more calls from them. I wasn't aware that wasn't the case.

1 hour ago, xyz48B said:

Wasn’t there some national no-call list for robocalls? I was under the impression that it was a federal law or something. Is that now defunct? 

oh......well.....yeah.......

do-gooder politicians back in 2003 did something.....must've been an election year or something.......

sooooo.....how's that working out for us now??!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Do_Not_Call_Registry

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, xyz48B said:

Wasn’t there some national no-call list for robocalls? I was under the impression that it was a federal law or something. Is that now defunct? 

It’s still there, but only legitimate companies are going to adhere to it.  Scammers don’t give a shit about a no-call list.  Blocking calls doesn’t do anything because they just spoof a different number.  My rule is if you’re not in my contact list or I don’t recognize the number I’m not answering.  

15 minutes ago, RJD said:

My rule is if you’re not in my contact list or I don’t recognize the number I’m not answering.

Mine too. I follow the philosophy that if it’s important, they’ll leave a message. Although some scammers will do that too. 🙄 

The DNC registry still exists but only legitimate telemarketers in the US adhere to it.  Very occasionally you hear of a robocaller operation getting a fine, but most scam operations are outside of the US and are using VOIP systems to dial into the US.  They spoof their caller ID, so it's worthless blocking the numbers.

My pixel phone blocks most obvious fake calls from even ringing, and I can send other unknowns to an screening system that prompts the caller to say  who they are and the reason for the call.  I can see a live transcript and decide to pick up.

The FCC has been pushing technology solutions like STIR/SHAKEN and forceing the telecoms to only accept traffic from authenticated exchanges, but it's not really doing enough.  

Edited by DynamicUno

2 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

oh......well.....yeah.......

do-gooder politicians back in 2003 did something.....must've been an election year or something.......

sooooo.....how's that working out for us now??!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Do_Not_Call_Registry

giphy.gif

Right along with abolishing net neutrality in 2017~ Now there’s ads everywhere… and super slow internet and limited broadband despite all the promise of 5G~ 

Silly Wabbits~ 

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

I sat next to her in church on Christmas Eve at St. John's Cathedral in Denver.

The things I miss as a devout atheist. 😏

If You're A Sinner And You Know It, Clap Your Hands! - Memebase - Funny  Memes

😄