Public Pools ‘22

jeezifonly
This topic is 858 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think if pools were much of a source of transmission they'd have figured that out definitively by now and,say, had some water park superspreader events.  My impression was they felt the chlorine takes care of it.  I've used pools and have not had coronavirus.

Steam rooms, though, are not good.  But since I've been vaccinated I've used them too without incident.

I've been swimming since the summer. I think the risk is pretty low. I have a pass that gets me into all the city rec centers and many of the indoor pools are rarely used. I typically am the only swimmer or one of just 2-3 swimmers. It probably helps that I don't have a 9-5 job and can swim in the middle of the day but even when I go on the weekends, the pools have very few people. And meanwhile the basketball courts and the weight rooms are often packed...which is definitely a COVID risk.

I miss swimming.  I belong to a Lifetime Fitness in the north Dallas area.  I went once in the fall and it was full of fools: no masks, full weight rooms, and packed indoor pool/jacuzzis.  I left.  I've had 3 jabs, always wear a mask, and still caught Omicron (although, it was nothing - a slight headache and some sniffles and over in a couple of days - my whole family had it) over the holidays.  

Now that I have antibodies and super TCells,  I'm ready to head back I to the pool. 

Edited by CatDaddy
Grammar

The two outdoor pools in our gated community have been open for residents throughout the pandemic, but the number of people allowed to use them at any one time has been limited. The HOA has been very carefully restrictive about almost all group activities in the community, but they must not fear any chance of infection that is specific to pools. i.e., to immersion in water, only to the distancing between those who are in the pool.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:14 PM, Luv2play said:

My pool is closed here in Ontario, since late last year. No word on when it will reopen.

We now have been told by the government that gyms can reopen on Jan 31. So I expect to hear from my gym soon. I'm m looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 2:31 PM, jeezifonly said:

How do we feel about swimming these days? Do I want to spend time in a pool with enough chemicals to kill all bugs, which is what it will take to get me in the pool?

Polio has been eradicated from most countries. If the pools are chemically monitored, other fecal-oral transmitted viruses, bacteria, and parasites are usually killed. Norovirus is the most contagious infectious agent known to man and could occasionally be transmitted by pool water, but I haven't heard of any such outbreaks occurring in the US.