"The Gilded Age" on HBO

45 minutes ago, poolboy48220 said:

I'm warming up to it. The actors seem to be settling into their roles. I have to admit I'm finding Cynthia Nixon's Aunt Ada a bit smarmy.

I'm warming up to it too, and looking forward now to each new episode.  The acting is not on par with Downton, which seemed so natural and flowing.  Baranski is growing on me as well.

I don't get all the hate. I have actually enjoyed it as I don't give a rat's ass about how inaccurate it is historically. I just want some silly shallow gossipy fun with all the fancy this and fancy that. So the show has delivered on that front. Overall the actors are doing fine, in particular Kelli O'Hara, Christine Baranski, and Katie Finneran, but the role of George Russell seems to have been miscast. I just can't relate the actor, sorry I forgot his name, to a robber baron. He is simply "too nice."

My biggest problem with the show however, lies in its overall story set up. It puts so much emphasis on those late 19th century rich Karens' frivolous social gossips and struggles, yet absolutely makes light of their husbands' real ruthless business and political struggles, which should be a thousand times more important and deadly than their wives' endeavors. So the show feels very much lack of balance.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:50 PM, JohnGerman said:

I don't get all the hate. I have actually enjoyed it as I don't give a rat's ass about how inaccurate it is historically. I just want some silly shallow gossipy fun with all the fancy this and fancy that. So the show has delivered on that front. Overall the actors are doing fine, in particular Kelli O'Hara, Christine Baranski, and Katie Finneran, but the role of George Russell seems to have been miscast. I just can't relate the actor, sorry I forgot his name, to a robber baron. He is simply "too nice."

My biggest problem with the show however, lies in its overall story set up. It puts so much emphasis on those late 19th century rich Karens' frivolous social gossips and struggles, yet absolutely makes light of their husbands' real ruthless business and political struggles, which should be a thousand times more important and deadly than their wives' endeavors. So the show feels very much lack of balance.

The men in their quest to make bank are making it with Iron and steel. But it’s thanks to the women, who show off the husband’s success with lavish excess in the home, that the age is remembered for its “gilding”

I think the actors are finding their stride. Costumes improving. And next season, when Carrie Coon is no longer enceinte, Bertha Russell’s wardrobe will move out of the “bizarre” toward Harper’s Bazaar.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, the show is garbage with a great budget, but it's entertaining garbage.  Nowhere near the writing quality and acting prowess of Downton, but still watchable for sure.

I'd reckon it's the largest cast of Broadway actors we've seen in one mainstream show.  That's always fun.

The scenes shot on-location are beautiful.  If you're an architectural or design/decor nerd, this is a superb show.

Guest MikeThomas
5 hours ago, handiacefailure said:

I’m enjoying the show but I love Christine.   And I love Nathan Lane, glad he is getting more lines.

I found out Marian is played by Meryl Streeps daughter.   I was wondering how a newcomer got a leading role in a show.  

Last night’s ending was pretty funny!

Guest MikeThomas

Hooked.  Love the awful scripts, bad plots and poor acting.  In combination it makes for a fun hour of escapism

Guest MikeThomas
16 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Interesting, but what would do age demographics have to do with commercial free viewing.  I’ll bet most subscribers to HBO who make the monthly payments are older as well.  

Monday's season finale was good.   Was surprised they had no cliff hangers since it's already been renewed.

If thought the actor that played John looked familiar.   He' plays Andy in Company.   They need to do some scenes with him with less clothes, in company he looks great in the bedroom scene LOL.

I hope they have more scenes in Season Two with John and Oscar.   I'm really hoping that Agnes finds out Oscar is gay, she'll have a total meltdown.   

This show reminds me that not everything has to be Chaucer.  Meaning, it's fun to insert some simple, low-function glitz now and then into your diet of television watching.

Hell, I'm an admitted watcher of some of the Housewives series even.  It satisfies a part of my brain that enjoys the simplicity of a campy villain, a prodigal good guy and watching wealthy people do absurd things.

While I'd put Gilded above Housewives, they serve the same entertainment purpose for me.

4 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

This show reminds me that not everything has to be Chaucer.  Meaning, it's fun to insert some simple, low-function glitz now and then into your diet of television watching.

Hell, I'm an admitted watcher of some of the Housewives series even.  It satisfies a part of my brain that enjoys the simplicity of a campy villain, a prodigal good guy and watching wealthy people do absurd things.

While I'd put Gilded above Housewives, they serve the same entertainment purpose for me.

I haven't watched either Downton Abbey or the Gilded Age. They seem to provide a window (okay maybe a caricatured one, but a window nevertheless) onto a society that is more unfamiliar to us, so there is interest in that. But I can see the parallels with Housewives. What I hadn't specifically put my mind to was seeing gilded age or Edwardian society dramas for their campiness. Thank you for that!

• 1 year later...

Season 2 began on October 29. Last night's episode was episode 4, and we're at the halfway mark for this season. Anyone watching ?

I find it a little better than S1, and I emphasize 'little'.  With the exception of a few in the cast, one thing is certain - Broadway actors and actresses don't necessarily transfer well into television. 

15 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

Season 2 began on October 29. Last night's episode was episode 4, and we're at the halfway mark for this season. Anyone watching ?

I find it a little better than S1, and I emphasize 'little'.  With the exception of a few in the cast, one thing is certain - Broadway actors and actresses don't necessarily transfer well into television. 

I watch it.  I agree it isn't as good as Downton, but it's a bit of a fun watch, even without Maggie Smith.  I've been reading up on the gilded age lately and it certainly would have been a fabulous time to have been filthy rich!

2 hours ago, randeman said:

I watch it.  I agree it isn't as good as Downton, but it's a bit of a fun watch, even without Maggie Smith.  I've been reading up on the gilded age lately and it certainly would have been a fabulous time to have been filthy rich!

I'm with you:  I enjoyed the first season, and I'm enjoying this one as well.  ...like the character portrayals overall.  ...wish the gay men were much cuter! 

It’s perhaps fitting that the primary S2 battle between old and new is about the opera.

The clothes, especially for the women, are actually beautiful operatic stage costumes, thrice removed from documentary-level accuracy. Some beautifully done pieces and fabric selections, but it’s all pretty much fantasy, very loosely based on historical evidence. It’s a decision, more important to use shape, detail and color to establish contrast in the factions, which is essential in telling stories on large stages. And the hair is all over the map.

It is what it is - Julian Fellowes newest soap opera! Cant wait to see if we meet the Levinsons.