"The Gilded Age" on HBO

I'm watching this, but mostly for a history lesson. I'm not enjoying the writing, directing or the acting. I think many of the characters are plastic, and some actors are mis-cast, like Blake Ritson. This show is a true Downton Abbey wannabe, but it comes nowhere close to that quality. Christine Baranski will never be Maggie Smith. Christine is too one-note for me. Award-winning Kristine Nielsen is completely waisted, with a ridiculous German accent. I guess you could say I hate watch. Of course spinster Ada's one chance at love dies 10 minutes after they get married, and his money saves Agnes. How contrived can Julian get? Blah.

On 12/22/2023 at 3:49 PM, musclestuduws said:

I disagree. I enjoyed a good deal of what I saw in season 2. Including some really good acting from Baranski, Leonard, Nixon, and Coon. And I enjoyed the “opera war,” which was accurate enough historically. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we all have different tastes and expectations. I look forward to season 3. 

PLAYBILL.COM

The season two finale aired December 17, and all episodes are now available to stream on Max.

I have to concur with musclestuduws; although the presentation might not have had a ll of what you expected and desired, I thought the acting was definitely above average.   The story lines were satisfying to me as well.

14 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I'm not sure what people are expecting. 

I loved Gosford Park. I loved Downton Abbey. I was hoping for something close. Fellowes has had a few turkeys in his career, namely The Tourist. There isn't one character in Gilded Age I care about. The set design is more interesting than the characters.

Just now, d.anders said:

I loved Gosford Park. I loved Downton Abbey. I was hoping for something close. Fellowes has had a few turkeys in his career, namely The Tourist. There isn't one character in Gilded Age I care about.

But like I said, this isn't Fellowes going for Chaucer... This is fluff.  Pure, unadulterated fluff.

1 minute ago, d.anders said:

The set design is more interesting than the characters.

That all depends on how you look at it.  I watch Gilded the same way I watch The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills:  As camp, as near-farce.  It keeps things light.  I don't overthink it.

The set and costume design is superb.  He got the best Broadway designers in on this action and it shows.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:59 PM, d.anders said:

I'm watching this, but mostly for a history lesson. I'm not enjoying the writing, directing or the acting. I think many of the characters are plastic, and some actors are mis-cast, like Blake Ritson. This show is a true Downton Abbey wannabe, but it comes nowhere close to that quality. Christine Baranski will never be Maggie Smith. Christine is too one-note for me. Award-winning Kristine Nielsen is completely waisted, with a ridiculous German accent. I guess you could say I hate watch. Of course spinster Ada's one chance at love dies 10 minutes after they get married, and his money saves Agnes. How contrived can Julian get? Blah.

I wouldn’t watch it for the “history lesson” because it’s definitely embellished but I really think it’s a good show. I’m really hooked on it 

It may not be historically accurate in every detail, but it still transports me to a time and place I have always found interesting.  The manipulating and maneuvering performed by characters in the show, as a means of climbing the ever-important social ladder, is probably not too different from that done by robber baron families during the actual Gilded Age.  I don't watch it as a history lesson or as a social commentary, but rather, as an escape from my less-than gilded existence - at least for one hour a week!

1 hour ago, CuriousByNature said:

It may not be historically accurate in every detail, but it still transports me to a time and place I have always found interesting.  The manipulating and maneuvering performed by characters in the show, as a means of climbing the ever-important social ladder, is probably not too different from that done by robber baron families during the actual Gilded Age.  I don't watch it as a history lesson or as a social commentary, but rather, as an escape from my less-than gilded existence - at least for one hour a week!

Oh no certainly didn’t mean anything bad by my comment. I LOVE the show and I like how they depict the lives of all racial groups and social classes. I think it’s an excellent show and the acting is great 

I just finished the first season of Fellowes' "Belgravia", from 2020 (which was the reason 'The Gilded Age' was pushed back) .  Like "The Gilded Age", this is a series in which the story could've been told in half the time - three episodes instead of six. For some reason, he really likes to stretch his series out with a lot of 'filler episodes' which does nothing to move the story along. Tedious and dull. 

On 1/26/2024 at 12:03 PM, harlow said:

I wouldn’t watch it for the “history lesson” because it’s definitely embellished

My comment was poorly worded. I'm not looking for historical facts at every turn, but I do enjoy period pieces based on some elements of truth. Downton often referred to historical events that actually happened, and I enjoyed that.

40 minutes ago, d.anders said:

My comment was poorly worded. I'm not looking for historical facts at every turn, but I do enjoy period pieces based on some elements of truth. Downton often referred to historical events that actually happened, and I enjoyed that.

I definitely enjoyed it and loved Downton too.  I agree period pieces like this fuel your curiosity to learn about the actual people and events.  

• 2 weeks later...