Colonoscopy ?

lucky13000
This topic is 730 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just had a colonoscopy. The worst part for me is the awful tasting stuff you have to drink to clean out. This time I used ClenPiq (you need a prescription for it) and it really wasn't bad. You drink 2 80z liquids, with lots of water or clear liquids. You can do 2 of those drinks the night before (if your appt. is early morning) or one late afternoon and one the next morning (if your appt is later in the day).

A musician friend of mine told me that if you hold your nose (literally, with one hand) while you drink the stuff (with the other), and you use (really) cold water, it doesn't taste as bad. He was right, or so it seemed to me, although clearly *not* a double blind study.

I will have another datapoint soon. Because I had 5 polyps the last time (two of which were potentially precancerous), the surgeon wanted to see me again in 3 years, which is up this month.

A musician friend of mine told me that if you hold your nose (literally, with one hand) while you drink the stuff (with the other), and you use (really) cold water, it doesn't taste as bad. He was right, or so it seemed to me, although clearly *not* a double blind study.

I will have another datapoint soon. Because I had 5 polyps the last time (two of which were potentially precancerous), the surgeon wanted to see me again in 3 years, which is up this month.

The first colonoscopy I had revealed three polyps, the precancerous kind. The gastroenterologist recommended another procedure in seven years. I later read that the standard was three years, so I insisted on repeating in three years. The second procedure showed no new polyps, so they said I was good for 10 years.

• 2 years later...

The first colonoscopy I had revealed three polyps, the precancerous kind. The gastroenterologist recommended another procedure in seven years. I later read that the standard was three years, so I insisted on repeating in three years. The second procedure showed no new polyps, so they said I was good for 10 years.

Depends on type, size of the polyps. Here are the current guidelines:

https://www.asge.org/docs/default-source/guidelines/recommendations-for-follow-up-after-colonoscopy-and-polypectomy-a-consensus-update-by-the-us-multi-society-task-force-on-colorectal-cancer-2020-march-gie.pdf?sfvrsn=2b0f8952_2

Need to schedule one it’s been about 10 years. How do they sedate you or put you to sleep. I am a chicken and keep putting the colonoscopy off. Just afraid of getting scope. I guess the sleep medication makes it easier. But does it work fast.

..How do they sedate you or put you to sleep...

There are a variety of methods. Ask the person doing the procedure. Few people complain about the procedure or anethesia, since one is usually out of it. The preparation can be a problem in that you will need to have immediate access to a toilet the day before the procedure.

girl-hammer-24007704.jpg

I have to get my own sorted. Should have had it last year, but my Dr put the kaibosh on that due to Covid. But as what used to be called “bowel cancer” as a catch all runs in the family of 3 of my 4 grandparents, I need to get it done.

Not apprehensive about the procedure, but not looking forward to the prep.

Ah well - there are worse things I could be apprehensive about!

BBD

I have to get my own sorted. Should have had it last year, but my Dr put the kaibosh on that due to Covid. But as what used to be called “bowel cancer” as a catch all runs in the family of 3 of my 4 grandparents, I need to get it done.

Not apprehensive about the procedure, but not looking forward to the prep.

Ah well - there are worse things I could be apprehensive about!

BBD

With such a significant family history, don't delay any longer. Haven't you been able to find somewhere to get a shot?

With such a significant family history, don't delay any longer. Haven't you been able to find somewhere to get a shot?

Yes, I just received the second jab this week, so per my Dr in 2 weeks I can set up the appointment. I have it in my calendar, but seeing this thread served as another reminder.

BBD

Yes, I just received the second jab this week, so per my Dr in 2 weeks I can set up the appointment....

After receiving your 2nd dose, even if he's being super-cautious, why wait to be even able to schedule an appointment? Does he think you're going to somehow undo the dose in those two weeks? He sounds like a bit of a weirdo to me--just my opinion.

Edited by Unicorn

After receiving our 2nd dose, even if he's being super-cautious, why wait to be even able to schedule an appointment? Does he think you're going to somehow undo the dose in those two weeks? He sounds like a bit of a weirdo to me--just my opinion.

Not him - the colonoscopy place requires 2 weeks after the jab before they will schedule you ??‍♂️

Just had mine (prep over Easter Sunday --NOT what I planned). But due to COVID they had rescheduled it, so I took what I could get.

Anyway, this was my 3rd one (so no stranger to the prep). I forgot that I should've taken only 3 of the dulcolax (the instructions say 4) but 4 does a number on me (you just feel "icky" in the stomach as it stimulates the intestines). I used the miralax (2-dose) prep with Crystal Light lemonade (I don't like the Gatorade). Typically the first batch cleans me out well enough.

Anyway, all went well this time - NO polyps (unlike the first two times). According to the documentation they used

Fentanyl 100 micrograms IV

and

Midazolam 5 mg IV

I obviously was out of it and didn't remember anything during the procedure, although this time I remembered stuff AFTER the fact.

It's really not bad, IMO. The prep (especially once you've done it already) you can kinda tweak/get a feel for how things go. Pre-lube with some vaseline and use those butt-wipes (do not flush them no matter what they say).

I've had two colonoscopies over the years and was due to have my third, and possibly my last one, a few months ago. I canceled due to COVID-19. The procedure itself is relatively tame; the preparation (in the past) took longer, but today it's much simpler. My results from the first and second were negative, and damn was I relieved.

Perhaps during the summer of 2021, I'll reschedule the one that I'd previously canceled a few months back.

Has anyone done a colon MRI as an alternative to a colonscopy? The fact that it's less invasive makes it an obviously much more attractive option to me.

I believe the prep is the same though and that is the worst part. Also believe that if they see anuthing suspicious you would still need the colonoscopy. Not completely sure but perhaps @Unicorn could clarify that.

Has anyone done a colon MRI as an alternative to a colonscopy? The fact that it's less invasive makes it an obviously much more attractive option to me.

It's not really a suitable alternative. First of all, it might miss flatter/smaller lesions. Secondly, if ANY kind of polyp or other suspicious finding is found, then you'd need to do a prep all over again, and schedule a colonoscopy. You are typically anesthetized during colonoscopy, so it's not as if you're avoiding any discomfort by doing an MRI. The colonoscopy does have a 1/1000 risk of serious complications, though.

If you are at low risk, and just can't stand the thought of someone sticking something up your ass, consider doing the Cologuard® test instead. And turn in your gay membership card. But seriously, the Cologuard® test is almost as sensitive as colonoscopy. If you test positive, though, then again, you will need a colonoscopy. Cologuard® makes much more sense as an alternative than MRI, though. Incidentally, MRI's can be quite unpleasant to go through.

I had my first colonoscopy in 2013 and as no polyps or other concerns were detected I am not scheduled until 2023 for the next one. Late last year I was sent a letter from my insurance company saying that I was eligible for the Cologuard® test (or an equivalent of it) at no charge to me so I decided to go for it. Clearly so much easier than the whole colonoscopy prep and procedure. I don't know how good a test it is but I hope what @Unicorn said (that is is almost as sensitive as a colonoscopy) is true. It came back negative so I plan to ask my doctor when I talk to her in a couple months for my next regular check-up if that will mean I can delay my next colonoscopy beyond 2023 or not.

I had my first colonoscopy in 2013 and as no polyps or other concerns were detected I am not scheduled until 2023 for the next one. Late last year I was sent a letter from my insurance company saying that I was eligible for the Cologuard® test (or an equivalent of it) at no charge to me so I decided to go for it. Clearly so much easier than the whole colonoscopy prep and procedure. I don't know how good a test it is but I hope what @Unicorn said (that is is almost as sensitive as a colonoscopy) is true. It came back negative so I plan to ask my doctor when I talk to her in a couple months for my next regular check-up if that will mean I can delay my next colonoscopy beyond 2023 or not.

Well, the Cologuard is almost as good as colonoscopy (95%) at detecting cancer, but not very good at detecting pre-cancerous lesions. It takes years for pre-cancerous lesions to become cancerous. Therefore, if you want to use Cologuard, you'll have to repeat the test at least every 3 years and be in a low-risk category. If a colonoscopy is negative (no potentially pre-cancerous polyps), then you can do that test every 10 years. If you had a clean colonoscopy in 2013, no need to do anything until 2023.

Well, the Cologuard is almost as good as colonoscopy (95%) at detecting cancer, but not very good at detecting pre-cancerous lesions. It takes years for pre-cancerous lesions to become cancerous. Therefore, if you want to use Cologuard, you'll have to repeat the test at least every 3 years and be in a low-risk category. If a colonoscopy is negative (no potentially pre-cancerous polyps), then you can do that test every 10 years. If you had a clean colonoscopy in 2013, no need to do anything until 2023.

My doctor said she if fine with me doing Cologuard since there's no history of it in my family. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and nervous about doing the prep. She said it is good at detecting cancer but a colonscophy would deted polyups better.

I'm find having the cologuard test every few years. Wish they were a little more discreet though with it. I had to fill out a form at my doctors office and they mailed me that kit which was in a big box and was left in my mailroom and it had the cologuard logo on the box LOL. You have to UPS it back and left the box with our building security guard who is very noisy and was scared he was going to question the noise of the liquid splashing around in the box but didn't LOL. IIRC the box going back didn't have have the logo on it.

My doctor said she if fine with me doing Cologuard since there's no history of it in my family. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and nervous about doing the prep. She said it is good at detecting cancer but a colonscophy would deted polyups better.

I'm find having the cologuard test every few years. Wish they were a little more discreet though with it. I had to fill out a form at my doctors office and they mailed me that kit which was in a big box and was left in my mailroom and it had the cologuard logo on the box LOL. You have to UPS it back and left the box with our building security guard who is very noisy and was scared he was going to question the noise of the liquid splashing around in the box but didn't LOL. IIRC the box going back didn't have have the logo on it.

You guys are remarkable with such valuable sharing of information. My doctors were after me for years to go for a colonoscopy. Finally cologuard was suggested and I did it. No big deal, done in private. When I delivered the return box to UPS, the lady knew what it was. I think she put an extra pair of gloves on. You've made me feel more confident about doing it. The result was negative. Do you think a bottom is more comfortable about taking a colonoscopy than a top? This is a question that has played on my mind but reluctant to ask anyone.