Colton Underwood: An example that coming out doesn’t always deserve our applause

CheckCar
This topic is 906 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The spin is pretty overwhelming in places. You may want a box of tissues nearby. OTOH, there were some scenes that brought back painful memories. My dad was similar in that he was a man’s man, a coach, rugged. My two older brothers were jocks, and I did my best to measure up. Played football and then was team manager so I spent a lot of time in the locker room and laughed at all the gay jokes. Hell, I probably told more than my fair share of them. All the while hoping no one noticed me gawking during shower time, terrified I’d pop a boner or the one guy who I’d been intimate with would out me. Whoever said that time heals all wounds is full of shit. Anyhow, if you watch the series suggest you increase the playback speed.

Isn't this this guy who jumped over a fence and ran away from the camera crew on the Bachelor?   I watch an occasional episode bit on the Bachelorette just to check out the guys.  I recall they made a big deal of him running away.  I guess you can run but you cannot hide.   Perhaps they will bring him back to the Bachelor as the first Gay Bachelor when the franchise has gotten done with every other form of stunt casting.  

Netflix is smart to include this show.  Bachelorette has a big fan base.

Me, I have a pet pieve how after all the damage they've wrought, so many of these closet kweens want to sound their trumpet and lead a big gay parade.

At school, my house included the biggest, anti-gay homophobe on campus.

Years later he finally convinced a woman to marry.  But ultimately, he came blazing out of the closet.  

Funny, he has lost track of his homophobic history, how hurtful he was, and now wants to be buddies.

Somehow he is still married.  I don't ask. 

On Facebook he is is a huge out-and-proud advocate of all things LGBTQ+.   

To me he is as phony as ever.

I watched this and first of all, Colton may have been hot in those pictures above but there is little to no skin and no sexual content whatsoever in this show and Colton looks bedraggled for the most part.   Second,  His "coming out party" had a few guysm, no sex and except for 6 fully dressed guys in a shower, not a hint of sexual chemistry.  The sexiest man in the show was Colton's father who Colton's mother accurately states is and has been always been a sex trap for gay men.  I would much rather see the father's  coming out story.  After all, he is divorced, is living with his son and there is no hint of a woman in his life.   All in all, this was pedestrian and the only problem is the pedestrian did not get hit by a bus and killed.   

The one little bit of interest was a phone conversation that Colton has with his Pastor in which the pastor tells him absolutely that homosexuality is a sin.  He has that conversation only after his "friends" from church come and play basketball {no shirts vs skins} and Colton tells them that he is gay.  Their discomfort, unwillingness to commit to any kind of acceptance until speaking with the pastor leads Colton to call the pastor.  Those friends and the pastor are not heard from again and Colton goes in search of a more gay friendly congregation.  Seeing the Evangelical Christian mindset exemplified on TV in its inflexible stance  without being over top about it and also seeing the damage it has on Colton was the most honest and least stereotypical bit on the show.   Pulling out a transsexual therapist from that new church and having her lambast Colton was the least believable section.