And they built the Alaska Highway in 8 months?.......

azdr0710
This topic is 931 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It really isn't simple. Recycled materials are not as easy to come by as one might think. NPR recently aired a piece about the difficulty associated with recycling plastic and using recycled materials to make new plastic stuff. Apparently, there are so many various compounds used when making plastic that it is very hard to separate them during recycling. Then there's the notion that "virgin" plastic is so much less costly than recycled plastic. 

Think of it this way: We have been drinking water and peeing it out for millions of years but we still haven't figured out how to get around the "ewww" factor of drinking recycled water. (That is, purified water extracted from sewerage)

On 9/24/2021 at 12:25 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Why not give out toys that are not plastic at all? Do kids still go crazy for happy meal toys anyway like when they used to give out beanie babies? 

I think they are most attractive to adults who collect them and attempt to sell them on ebay years later.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:20 AM, rvwnsd said:

We have been drinking water and peeing it out for millions of years but we still haven't figured out how to get around the "ewww" factor of drinking recycled water. (That is, purified water extracted from sewerage)

Bill Gates has been hyping the technology to turn piss into drinkable water.

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Why not just junk the idea of giving kids toys with their meals. Try selling nutritious food instead. So the kids will grow up healthy. 

Are you a hippie or a commie, or both?

4 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

Gotta keep those shareholders happy. To hell with corporate responsibility and child health.

Spoken (actually typed) like a true American!

6 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

Gotta keep those shareholders happy. To hell with corporate responsibility and child health. McDonald's has been talking about improving happy meals for long before this announcement. 

What McDonald's menu item would you recommend as an alternative to the ones contained in the Happy Meal?

On 9/24/2021 at 2:20 AM, rvwnsd said:

It really isn't simple. Recycled materials are not as easy to come by as one might think. NPR recently aired a piece about the difficulty associated with recycling plastic and using recycled materials to make new plastic stuff. Apparently, there are so many various compounds used when making plastic that it is very hard to separate them during recycling. Then there's the notion that "virgin" plastic is so much less costly than recycled plastic. 

Think of it this way: We have been drinking water and peeing it out for millions of years but we still haven't figured out how to get around the "ewww" factor of drinking recycled water. (That is, purified water extracted from sewerage)

Toys require virgin plastic because of the tight safety rules of what chemicals/elements  can be in toys/children’s products and the low tolerance levels for the banned chemicals/elements like lead .  Many of these banned chemicals/elements  are OK for products used by adults and then show up when they are recycled.  Virgin plastic is more expensive than recycled plastic (or was when I was working).

6 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

Gotta keep those shareholders happy. To hell with corporate responsibility and child health. McDonald's has been talking about improving happy meals for long before this announcement. 

McDonald’s sells what people want.  I remember about 7-10 years ago they came out with a healthy menu that was mostly salads.  After about a year, they stopped because few people bought them.

McDonald’s can sell all healthy food but if the people don’t buy it, there is little point.  It is up to the customers to want products to which demand the company responds.

I had a friend who worked for the Los Angeles School District in management for food service.  He hated Michele Obama’s push for healthy lunches as the kids would not eat them and most of the lunches got trashed (they kept close track of what the kids would not eat).  The kids would then eat a candy bar they brought from home instead of lunch.  The push for healthy lunches had the unintended consequences of leaving the kids worse off with the candy bar lunches🥲.

1 hour ago, bigjoey said:

McDonald’s sells what people want.  I remember about 7-10 years ago they came out with a healthy menu that was mostly salads.  After about a year, they stopped because few people bought them.

McDonald’s can sell all healthy food but if the people don’t buy it, there is little point.  It is up to the customers to want products to which demand the company responds.

I had a friend who worked for the Los Angeles School District in management for food service.  He hated Michele Obama’s push for healthy lunches as the kids would not eat them and most of the lunches got trashed (they kept close track of what the kids would not eat).  The kids would then eat a candy bar they brought from home instead of lunch.  The push for healthy lunches had the unintended consequences of leaving the kids worse off with the candy bar lunches🥲.

and unfortunately we're paying the consequences of out addiction to fast food...

Enjoy your toys kids... they won't become vintage and help pay for diabetes, obesity, etc. 

2 hours ago, bigjoey said:

I firmly believe McD's should be the first chain to go all wonder burger or impossible burger. No artificial meat could possibly taste less like real meat than McD's current "beef" does.

To show how blood-thristy meat has made humans this about Impossible Burger: Beetroot extract gives the burger its color and helps it to “bleed” like animal-based meat does. ..Blood helps our appetite 

They used to have a decent Southwest salad with great dressing I'd eat a lot while traveling and on a (frequent) diet. 

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

and unfortunately we're paying the consequences of out addiction to fast food...

Enjoy your toys kids... they won't become vintage and help pay for diabetes, obesity, etc. 

I agree that we are paying for our addiction to fast food.  But what about individual responsibility to eat healthy?  In moderation, fast food is OK.  We do not need to “super-size” our sugar enriched soft drinks or order a double order of fries.  

Mae West said something like: “Too much of a bad thing is good.”  However, she was not talking about fast food but sex😀.”

3 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

I would call it convenient for people who work all day during the week.

Convenient in the sense that a single parent may have little choice occasionally

9 hours ago, bigjoey said:

I agree that we are paying for our addiction to fast food.  But what about individual responsibility to eat healthy?  In moderation, fast food is OK.  We do not need to “super-size” our sugar enriched soft drinks or order a double order of fries.  

Mae West said something like: “Too much of a bad thing is good.”  However, she was not talking about fast food but sex😀.”

Frankly, I don't think fast food in moderation is good for you. These are empty calories and any amount in your body is bad. Personally I haven't eaten any fast food for so long I can't remember.

If pizzas are considered fast food, than I have had the odd slice when in a group occasion and it is brought in. They generally have too much salt in them for my taste.

Perhaps rather than a toy, enclose a card with the image of a popular cartoon character along with an historical fact or an elementary arithmetic problem to be solved (answer on the reverse side).

It would either catch-on or drive business to Burger King.