The centennials are changing social conventions. Is that good?

FreshFluff
This topic is 1004 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A young guy named Drew walks through an NYC park on his lunch hour. He overhears a group of strangers talking about an upcoming birthday party. They prefer not to invite someone named Marissa, so suggests hosting the party on Memorial Day Weekend, when Marissa will be away. Well, this can't stand. He posts an all points bulletin on Tiktok asking anyone named Marissa who's friends are having a biday that weekend to contact him so that she can learn whether this is her group of friends.

The Marissa in question does indeed contact him. She quickly starts asking people on Tiktok to be her friend and starts hosting huge meetups in multiple cities. Arizona provides free iced tea. 

It turns out that Marissa moved to NYC  last year. Are these real friends or just acquaintance from social media? Are they obligated to let Marrissa invite herself to a bday party? Would it have been so bad if Drew has minded his own business and Marissa believed that she happened to be out of town for her new friend’s party.? Maybe they’d become closer over time and invite her to the next bday party.    That certainly won't happen now. I’m glad she's helping people meet each other, but it appears that people the ordinary process of making friends gradually is now considered a form of bullying. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/15/technology/tik-tok-friends-meet-up.html

Edited by FreshFluff

15 hours ago, cany10011 said:

No one likes a busy body…. Aren’t people taught to not meddle in others‘ affairs??? Drew looks like he found his fag hag. 

MYOB is dead, and any conversation that happens in public is fodder for shaming. This is a problem because one never knows the other side of the story. That was my point.

13 hours ago, Epigonos said:

Pure unadulterated nonsense.

I figured that we needed some to distract from the news over the past few days. 

Edited by FreshFluff

There’s a reason Drew and Marissa have become friends.  And it doesn’t have to do with the friends who didn’t want Marissa at the party.  Instead of evaluating why they didn’t want her at the party, she’s opting to surround herself with non-intimate large groups that give the illusion of popularity   

Technology has enabled a world where everything is permissible, but not everything is constructive. 

And talk about piercing as a distraction…geez. 

So, no.  I don’t see this new convention as good. 

Edited by BnaC

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

This.  That city is going to eat her alive.

It's also why I love NYC.  You can tell someone to fuck themselves and it's taken as a compliment.

One of my favorite memories in my working life was when I was in a launch meeting with a particularly obnoxious production manager who botched his ramp up plan badly.  I told him it was impossible to meet the requirements without air shipping and he told me to go fuck myself.  I immediately retorted that at least I'd do it right and if I let him do it he'd show up late, expect me to do all the work, and somehow the cat would end up pregnant.  My boss and I had a good laugh about the look on his face afterward.

Anyway, back to nosy busybody social media "influencers"....

Edited by DynamicUno

12 hours ago, BnaC said:

There’s a reason Drew and Marissa have become friends.  And it doesn’t have to do with the friends who didn’t want Marissa at the party.  Instead of evaluating why they didn’t want her at the party, she’s opting to surround herself with non-intimate large groups that give the illusion of popularity   

Technology has enabled a world where everything is permissible, but not everything is constructive. 

And talk about piercing as a distraction…geez. 

So, no.  I don’t see this new convention as good. 

Couldn’t have said it better. I wouldn’t waste too much time analyzing why they didn’t want her at the party though. My advice would be to move on and not rely on “friends” one barely knows. 

The popular cow ring piercing looks pretty good on her. 

Edited by FreshFluff