David Archuleta Says He's 'Some Form of Bisexual' After Coming Out

wayout
Message added by sam.fitzpatrick,

Reminder:  This website is intended to be inclusive, and we have several bi-sexual members.  We need to be respectful of anyone, that views themselves as bi-sexual.  

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

No, he doesn't have children. He is not Johnnie Ray who had a child  with the panelist and gossip writer Dorothy Kill gallon

Yikes. He was before my time. But I just looked him up on Wikipedia, and I hope David Archuleta doesn't end up like him!

"In 1951, before Ray's fame, he was arrested in Detroit, Michigan for accosting and soliciting an undercover male vice-squad police officer for sex in the restroom of the Stone Theatre, a burlesque house.[6] When he appeared in court, he pleaded guilty to the charges, paid a fine, and was released.[35] Due to his obscurity at the time, Detroit newspapers did not report the story.[6] After his rise to fame the following year, rumors about his sexuality began to spread as a result of the incident.[6]

Despite her knowledge of the solicitation arrest, Marilyn Morrison, daughter of the owner of the Mocambo nightclub, married Ray at the peak of his American fame.[36] The wedding ceremony took place in New York a short time after he gave his first New York concert, which was at the Copacabana.[37] The New York Daily News made the wedding its cover story for May 26, 1952, and it reported that guests included Mayor Vincent R. Impellitteri.[38]

Aware of Ray's unorthodox sexuality, Morrison told a friend she would "straighten it out."[35] The couple separated in 1953 and divorced in 1954.[39][40] Several writers have noted that the Ray-Morrison marriage occurred under false pretenses,[41] and that Ray had had a long-term relationship with his manager Bill Franklin...

According to lawyer and researcher Mark Shaw, Ray's relationship with Dorothy Kilgallen produced her youngest child Kerry Kollmar, whom her husband Richard Kollmar disowned after Kilgallen's death in 1965.[47] In two books that Shaw has authored, he claims that Kilgallen remained faithful to her husband for 13 years, ignoring rumors of his extramarital affairs because she did not witness evidence of any of them during that time frame.[47] With the passing of 13 years of married life, Richard Kollmar became careless, to the extent that he brought a male lover into the third-floor master bedroom of his and Dorothy's new home, a five-story townhouse on Manhattan's East 68th Street.[47] After Kilgallen caught the two men in a compromising position, she and Kollmar decided to stay married strictly for business. Their business included a talk radio show they broadcast from home every day that brought them large salaries and that promoted Broadway shows produced by Kollmar.[47] Several months after they moved into the townhouse, their radio listeners heard her talking about her pregnancy.

In 1954, Kilgallen's baby boy was photographed for magazines and newspapers with her holding him, never with a father.[47] Decades later, Ray often mentioned Kilgallen to his manager Alan Eichler, and clearly remained devastated by her 1965 death, but he never said anything to Eichler about either of her two sons or her daughter...

In early 1990, poor health forced Ray to check into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center near his home in Los Angeles.[49] He was confined there for more than two weeks without the knowledge of journalists or talk radio personalities who had interviewed him in various countries throughout the 1980s.[6]

On February 24, 1990, he died of hepatic encephalopathy resulting from liver failure at Cedars-Sinai..."

20 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

May his life’s journey be enhanced by being true to himself. I mean that. 

But I’m weary of all the Stars and Influencers over-sharing these days. I mean, isn’t the group of people that might need this intimate information actually a pretty small one? His family, close friends, collaborators, his pediatrician and other MD’s, plus the few individuals he may find desirable in a given time and place? Can’t I still appreciate his work if I don't care about what “sort of bisexual” he is?

”Yeah, but his story can set an example for younger people who…”

Bullshit. He’s a beautiful celebrity and has a ton of money. The only younger LGBTQ people whose experience could possibly be modeled on DA’s would be more beautiful celebrities with a lot of money

That young LDS folks feel intense spiritual abuse within their church and are much more prone to depression or worse than hetero kids might make DA coming out a significant event for some. 

I get it, the idea that doing a coming out tour on TV and radio can sometimes seem contrived, like Blair Underwood.  

After weaving a web of half truths and fogging over his own reality for so long, I kind of expect DA has one or two more stepping stones to hit before reaching the other side of the river of his life.   It must be extra difficult for LDS.  

16 hours ago, E.T.Bass said:

... It must be extra difficult for LDS.  

You can say that again. "...current teachings and policies leave homosexual members with the option of attempting to change their sexual orientation, entering a mixed-orientation opposite-sex marriage, or living a celibate lifestyle without any sexual expression (including masturbation)." 😕 What a recipe for misery! 😢 To think that he could have a happy, fulfilling life. I hope he eventually sees through the BS of his church. I don't see a way to happiness with those three "options."

I got in a huge argument with LDS on another discussion board. They smugly pointed out that LDS who "failed" at suppressing their same-sex desires had a much higher suicide rate than those who adhered to LDS teachings. When I cursed them out for bragging at how they drive gay kids to suicide, most of them played the offended at my rudeness card. I did get one or two to see the light,  but they are a remarkably top-down religion and the buy-in of the rank and file is deep.

• 1 year later...

From Huffpost:

David Archuleta is opening up about the “faith crisis” he experienced after he decided to live his truth as a queer man.

The “American Idol” alum told “Good Morning America” last week that he’s had to “deconstruct everything,” including his Mormon faith, after coming out as a member of the LGBTQ community in 2021. Though the singer initially labeled himself bisexual, he now identifies as queer.

In the interview, Archuleta said he’s “taken a step away” from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (commonly called the Mormon church or LDS faith) in the wake of a meeting he’d had with one of its leaders shortly after sharing his sexuality with the public.

“I think three times in that conversation, he said: ‘Well, we just need to find you a good girl. Maybe you can find a good girl,’” Archuleta recalled. “And I’m like: ‘That’s not the solution.’”

Elsewhere in the chat, the singer said he almost married women three different times and later contemplated suicide before coming to terms with his authentic self.

David Archuleta unveiled a new single, "Faith in Me," in August.

David Archuleta unveiled a new single, "Faith in Me," in August.

Michael Tullberg via Getty Images

“It got to the point where I realized, you know what, there’s something in me telling me that there’s value to me still living, even if I was queer,” he said.

In what many perceived as a reversal from previous positions, the Mormon church announced last week that it would support congressional efforts to codify protections for same-sex marriage. Still, it quickly clarified that it views marriage within its religion as solely between a man and a woman. At the same time, many of its members have been aggressively focused on political organizing to stop same-sex unions for years.

These days, Archuleta is back on the dating scene again after a recent split from a boyfriend and hopes to marry a man one day. He said he’s been eager to resume his performing career after a professional hiatus. Earlier this year, he played the title role in a well-received production of the musical “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” in Utah. He also unveiled a pop-rock single, “Faith in Me,” in August.

Regarding the Mormon church’s relationship with the queer community, Archuleta sees its recent announcement regarding same-sex marriage as a positive step but is hopeful more work will be done. These days, he believes the “church structure,” rather than individual members, is responsible for reinforcing its opposition to LGBTQ rights.

“It’s a very passive-aggressive, stern stance they have,” he noted.

Watch David Archuleta’s “Good Morning America” interview below.

Edited by Lucky

Yikes! I'm glad he left the church. To think that he almost killed himself! 😲 What a toxic religion. He has so much talent and so much to give. I hope that with the church behind him, he can find a man with whom he can lead a happy life. He still has good looks! 

My Pride: David Archuleta (An Exclusive Interview) - YouTube

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

Elsewhere in the chat, the singer said he almost married women three different times and later contemplated suicide before coming to terms with his authentic self.

Pretty sure if the thought of marrying a woman makes you want to commit suicide, you're definitely not "bisexual".

44 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Pretty sure if the thought of marrying a woman makes you want to commit suicide, you're definitely not "bisexual".

Yes, SOME men feel more comfortable stating they're bisexual before admitting that they're really just gay. Sir Elton John is another famous example.

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Yes, SOME men feel more comfortable stating they're bisexual before admitting that they're really just gay. Sir Elton John is another famous example.

The other possibility is that he honestly assumed he was bisexual because he had conflicting and complicated feelings for both men and women.  Given the compounding issue of his former beliefs, I imagine his journey to express his truth may be more convoluted than simply avoiding admitting he is gay.  I'm not very familiar with all the terminology, but doesn't 'queer' include bisexuality - perhaps being an even broader label than bisexual?  He mentions wanting to marry a man, but that doesn't preclude him from still being bisexual, does it?

I believe nowadays queer is an umbrella term for anything other than heterosexual or cisgender. Any lgbt person can identify as queer. However I remember growing up calling someone queer was used pejoratively, and in a offensive manner. I agree some people like to start out calling themselves bisexual, because they have not come to terms with fully identifying as gay. Or maybe they just want to keep their options open, and not limit their sexuality to one gender. Like being fluid.

Edited by caramelsub

3 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

The other possibility is that he honestly assumed he was bisexual ...

Not according to him. Now that he's left the church, he can finally be honest. Sir Elton essentially said the same thing. If someone would rather be dead than marry a woman, as PA said, he's not bi. Eating pussy? Yuck!

Pin by Giovanni on Smiley | Funny emoji faces, Emoji love, Funny emoji

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 10:30 PM, caramelsub said:

I believe nowadays queer is an umbrella term for anything other than heterosexual or cisgender.

"Queer" essentially means unusual.

Nothing technically unusual about bisexuality.

It's far more common than most people realize. The general misunderstanding is that most bisexuals eventually "pick a team" when they enter into a long term relationship..so for many of the people I know . The "bi" part of their sexuality goes bye-bye when sexual monogamy is expected as part of that relationship.( Others just keep it VERY discreet).

So although it's a common state for humans the fact that most people don't know anything about it also makes it "unusual"..and therefore part of the "queer" community.

10 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

"Queer" essentially means unusual.

Nothing technically unusual about bisexuality.

It's far more common than most people realize. The general misunderstanding is that most bisexuals eventually "pick a team" when they enter into a long term relationship..so for many of the people I know . The "bi" part of their sexuality goes bye-bye when sexual monogamy is expected as part of that relationship.( Others just keep it VERY discreet).

So although it's a common state for humans the fact that most people don't know anything about it also makes it "unusual"..and therefore part of the "queer" community.

"Queer" is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities. Bisexuals are includes as are gays, lesbians, trans people, polyamorous folks, BDSM, etc. I often refer to myself as queer because I'm a GNC male who has sex with men. 

7 minutes ago, KensingtonHomo said:

Queer" is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities

That's my point.

I don't believe bisexuals ARE a minority

I believe it's more of a biological norm that is suppressed by imposed social norms.

Young people didn't suddenly become more bisexual..they simply stopped pretending they weren't.

30 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

That's my point.

I don't believe bisexuals ARE a minority

I believe it's more of a biological norm that is suppressed by imposed social norms.

Young people didn't suddenly become more bisexual..they simply stopped pretending they weren't.

I don't disagree with that. I think without being socialized into heterosexuality, we'd have a lot more queer people of all stripes. 

47 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I don't believe bisexuals ARE a minority.

You can believe what you wish but heterosexuals are by FAR the majority in the world and they are in fact the biological norm.  

All the other sexual orientations combined will never reach 50%... even if given every freedom and opportunity.  By definition they are the minority.

While I think being Bi is awesome, most gays and lesbians have no sexual attraction to the opposite sex and most straight people have absolutely no desire to have same sex sex.   

Edited by Bucky