Social media question

Charlie
This topic is 1137 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have no business experience, and I barely understand the Internet. Can someone please explain to me where the money comes from to run a website like this one, which has no advertising or membership fees?

Almost 100% Member contributions.

There are advertising fees from flirt4free.com, but my understanding is that it was negligible. (But it did get us invited to their partner Christmas party at Playboy Mansion a few years back. :D)

Hooboy accepted contributions, but for the most part he self-funded. Daddy continued that lacking Hooboy's resources.

How does that go on now? I had set up a recurring payment (monthly) to Daddy, so I don't forget. It's a physical check; will that be sitting in a PO box that nobody has access to?

"We" don't know. At this point in time, I am unaware of anyone who has gained access to his PO Box, but this could be completely wrong. I just have not been informed of it so I can not give informed advice.

Personally, I would suspend sending payments until new management stands up and says "HERE WE ARE AND HERE'S WHAT WE'LL DO".

Some of the members already know that a few of Guy/Daddy's loooong-time friends have been helping to deal with the situation. I'm one of them, and I just registered so I can provide some info as we can to keep the community apprised.

The group of us are trying to gain access to Guy/Daddy's apartment and keys. We've been promised both, but we have to get the keys in person, and we're not in Nevada. The hospital has said that my wife has to get the keys in person, and she's looking into flights that we can afford. Once she gets to Vegas, she'll find out what they will and won't give her. She's the assigned medical decision-maker for Daddy, because no family was located, but she is neither his power of attorney, not executor, so we have no legal standing to get into his accounts.

She can file for special administrator status in Nevada, but that only gets her so far. If someone pays for funeral costs, that person becomes eligible to be the administrator, and the administrator (equivalent to executor if from outside of Nevada) has the legal right to get into the bank accounts and to decide who get what of Daddy's possessions. Otherwise, if no will is found, all of Daddy's money and possessions go to the state of Nevada.

It's really complicated. We are trying to get around as much of it as possible. First things first, get to Nevada; get the keys; see what's what.

The group of us are trying to gain access to Guy/Daddy's apartment and keys.

If you are not not extremely well versed in computer issues, PLEASE do not destroy any meta-info that may be needed to needle inside Mister Wizard's empire. His machines are sitting there ready to serve. If you move them without taking proper precautions they may never recover. (And that's only half of the equation anyway.)

@Orin ......I assume your wife is the woman mentioned several days ago here in the forum from Washington state that has known "Daddy" for fifty-some years??.....thanks for all your help and thanks for signing up here......I'm sure you know many here very much enjoy the forum and would very much like to see it continue.......but finding a webmaster, etc., etc.....

this funeral payment thing intrigues me (and will probably intrigue others here).......is there any movement by anybody toward paying for the funeral and gaining executor-ship?......sounds simple (too simple?).........

That’s us, and it’s 40-something years, since met Daddy in Portland, Oregon in 1978 as co-workers programming various things.

As to the funeral arrangements, that means you qualify, but the court has the final say.

That’s us, and it’s 40-something years, since met Daddy in Portland, Oregon in 1978 as co-workers programming various things.

As to the funeral arrangements, that means you qualify, but the court has the final say.

Longtime lurker here. I'd be willing to contribute towards your wife's travel expenses/funeral expenses etc in hopes of keeping the site alive.

Perhaps a personal check to Orin...

Longtime lurker here. I'd be willing to contribute towards your wife's travel expenses/funeral expenses etc in hopes of keeping the site alive.

Perhaps a personal check to Orin...

I echo that, @Orin . I'm more thankful than I can say that you're helping out. If I can help with expenses please let me know.

Thanks, @notarobot, @poolboy48220, and anyone else who wants to chip in. Neither my wife (I'll use her handle from elsewhere,) Rue nor I have had our second covid shot yet, so travel during this pandemic has some extra hoops to jump through.

We're in the midst of coordinating schedules, monitoring air fares, and working out what can and can't be accomplished at this stage so she can make the best use of her time in Vegas. It's looking like the first trip will be for getting into Daddy's digs to see what's what, take pictures, and follow any leads opened through keys and notes. We won't know what that trip, or the next one will cost yet. In the meantime, it might be useful for you folks to coordinate how such support might be handled without unduly exposing anyone's privacy. That could include making a member in Vegas point person for handing off whatever help you can offer.

I'm also happy to contribute. Maybe @Orin could set up a GoFundMe page? I'm surprised that those who die intestate in Nevada can expect all of their estate to go to the State. Or does he have no living relatives? I'm sure many members would be happy to chip in for airfare, funeral expenses, and other incidental expenses.

I'm also happy to contribute. Maybe @Orin could set up a GoFundMe page? I'm surprised that those who die intestate in Nevada can expect all of their estate to go to the State. Or does he have no living relatives? I'm sure many members would be happy to chip in for airfare, funeral expenses, and other incidental expenses.

So far, no living family members. Doesn't necessarily mean he has no living family members.

So far, no living family members. Doesn't necessarily mean he has no living family members.

The social worker at the hospital was unable to locate one, but the courts will wait for one to come forward for a while before allowing a non-family member to take on the responsibility.

We have a nerd on the inside.....THERE’S HOPE!

Hey, watch your tongue! I'm only inside on a technicality, having registered in order to stitch a wormhole between this community and the group of Daddy's friends up in Washington State. Besides, I've retired from active software work, and haven't written any fiction for my blog since the pandemic started.

He had said something cryptic a couple of years back that I interpreted as he had just one person/relative he either felt some obligation to or did not want to predecease. Can't remember what thread it was in.