Most overrated/underrated tourist attraction

BSR

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Underrated, unknown, recently open and certainly not a priority in Rome but something to be considered.

Lateran Palace - Wikipedia

I studied the history of the St John Lateran cathedral when I was at university. It's a beautiful church. Didn't know much about the palace but when I was in Rome years ago it wasn't open to the public.

I have always had a soft spot for Rome and have recently gone through some letters I have from my Roman holiday over 40 years ago. I could write a book...

14 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Actually I've been there and while it in no way resembles Tara, it demonstrates that a great book can arise from humble origins.

The inspiration for Tara was not this house but a large old farmhouse in the country that had been in her family a generation or two before. My family drove past it when I was a kid because of my mother's interest. I think she got the info from an old AAA guide. Nothing much to see. Mitchell's imagination was the real source.

• 3 weeks later...

"Chris" and I just went to one of the most amazing sights I've seen in my life, the ATM cave in Belize. It's a fairly arduous visit--after a long hike you have to swim, crawl, and climb around to get there. But you are rewarded with not only beautiful cave formations, but also an archeological museum of ancient Mayan pottery offerings and human sacrifices. Ah, religion was just as silly then as it is now. Those sacrifices never got them any rain....

https://www.mayawalk.com/belize-atm-cave-tour

"Recently deemed as the #1 Sacred Cave destination in the world by National Geographic, the ATM cave is not only geologically beautiful with its crystalline stalactites and stalagmites, but also historically as it is a natural museum of ancient Mayan artifacts and a sacred burial place. This is known as the final resting place of the "Crystal Maiden", who is believed to be an ancient Mayan Ceremonial victim along with 13 other skeletal remains which includes men, women and children. "

image.png.e79130ac72ab7bb39cb0d4e4c7415470.png

image.png.95a1f20396050d68a03f5e1904579707.png

image.png.65a778ba55b7889f25445250ea1cbbd3.png

image.png.b40436ab5dfbffbab47ef1eef224dc77.png

17 hours ago, Unicorn said:

"Chris" and I just went to one of the most amazing sights I've seen in my life, the ATM cave in Belize. It's a fairly arduous visit--after a long hike you have to swim, crawl, and climb around to get there. But you are rewarded with not only beautiful cave formations, but also an archeological museum of ancient Mayan pottery offerings and human sacrifices. Ah, religion was just as silly then as it is now. Those sacrifices never got them any rain....

https://www.mayawalk.com/belize-atm-cave-tour

"Recently deemed as the #1 Sacred Cave destination in the world by National Geographic, the ATM cave is not only geologically beautiful with its crystalline stalactites and stalagmites, but also historically as it is a natural museum of ancient Mayan artifacts and a sacred burial place. This is known as the final resting place of the "Crystal Maiden", who is believed to be an ancient Mayan Ceremonial victim along with 13 other skeletal remains which includes men, women and children. "

image.png.e79130ac72ab7bb39cb0d4e4c7415470.png

image.png.95a1f20396050d68a03f5e1904579707.png

image.png.65a778ba55b7889f25445250ea1cbbd3.png

image.png.b40436ab5dfbffbab47ef1eef224dc77.png

Are you sure those were ancient sacrifice victims and not last year's tour group who couldn't find the exit from the caves?  LOL

Edited by CuriousByNature

8 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Are you sure those were ancient sacrifice victims and not last year's tour group who couldn't find the exit from the caves?  LOL

You can only enter with a certified guide. There is a limited number of guides certified for this cave, and each guide can bring a max of 8 people (rumored to be dropping to 6 per guide next year). No cameras allowed; years ago some woman dropped a camera onto an over 1000-year old skeleton. 😧

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/10/2022 at 3:36 PM, WilliamM said:

Lady Jane Beach, Sydney, Australia.

I was only there once: Christmas  week 1998

Back then a nude male beach  I remember taking public transportation from downtown Sydney

Similar beaches near Santa Cruz, California in the 1980s

I did take a few photos when nobody was looking

Recommended!

I went to that beach Christmas week 2016.  It's still a nude male beach

On 5/3/2022 at 2:54 PM, marylander1940 said:

I don't know about underrated or overrated but certainly Mormon Temples aren't always available for public visitors.

LDS temples are typically only open to members in good standing......however, at the occasional "grand opening" of a newly-constructed temple or at the re-dedication of a restored one, the church usually has a weeks-long open house open to everybody.....for those into this sort of thing (and not LDS in good standing), it's an extremely rare chance to see the inside of a temple.....very unusual in some ways and very traditional in other ways......here are current and upcoming open houses worldwide......

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/temples/open-houses?lang=eng

the oldest still-operating LDS temple is in St. George, UT, and is now in a multi-year renovation....it'll be done in early 2023 and there will be a public open house, which, I presume, will be extremely popular.....

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/st.-george-utah-temple/

Edited by azdr0710

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe not underrated, just not that well-known is the annual Calcio Storico staged in Florence on the feast day of the city's patron saint (John the Baptist, June 24).  Calcio Storico is a Renaissance-era Italian sport that most closely resembles rugby for its violence but soccer for strategy with elements of wrestling.  Henri III of France put it best: "It's too small to be considered a war but too cruel to be considered a game."  Don't bother to trying to understand it, just enjoy the shirtless Italian guys in cute 16th century shorts pounding the absolute sh*t out of each other.  After every brutal tackle, the tackler helps the tacklee up, and the two men kiss each other on both cheeks.  Outside of the Gaiety Theater, it was the most homoerotic spectacle I've ever seen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by BSR
Wording

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2022 at 11:41 PM, BSR said:

Maybe not underrated, just not that well-known is the annual Calcio Storico staged in Florence on the feast day of the city's patron saint (John the Baptist, June 24).  Calcio Storico is a Renaissance-era Italian sport that most closely resembles rugby for its violence but soccer for strategy with elements of wrestling.  Henri III of France put it best: "It's too small to be considered a war but too cruel to be considered a game."  Don't bother to trying to understand it, just enjoy the shirtless Italian guys in cute 16th century shorts pounding the absolute sh*t out of each other.  After every brutal tackle, the tackler helps the tacklee up, and the two men kiss each other on both cheeks.  Outside of the Gaiety Theater, it was the most homoerotic spectacle I've ever seen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was fascinated when I watched a sumo match in LA!

Something you just can't forget! 

2080_02.jpg

32 minutes ago, Bokomaru said:

New York

Overrated, Fire Island and the Hamptons. 

Underrated, Opus 40, near Woodstock. Never heard of it? Yea… underrated.

OPUS40.ORG

...""One of the largest and most beguiling works of art on the entire continent." — Architectural Digest  .. ˘˘ Welcome to 2024 at Opus 40! .... We open on March 30

opus-40-aerial-monolith-featured.jpeg

WInter-Opus-40-e1699135202912.jpg

2 hours ago, Bokomaru said:

New York

Overrated, Fire Island and the Hamptons. 

Underrated, Opus 40, near Woodstock. Never heard of it? Yea… underrated.

LMAO. 

Somebody doesn’t like beaches….incredible beaches…..grin

Opus 40?…that place where all the Hippies have their "Druid weddings" while simultaneously wringing their hands and bemoaning the fact that their nuptials are taking place on property that was "stolen" from the indigenous peoples. The mental contortions required to pull off such ceremonies with a straight face makes the mind reel. 

I’d rather hang out in the Hamptons…or even Fire Island for that matter. 

3 hours ago, nycman said:

Opus 40?…that place where all the Hippies have their "Druid weddings" while simultaneously wringing their hands and bemoaning the fact that their nuptials are taking place on property that was "stolen" from the indigenous peoples. The mental contortions required to pull off such ceremonies with a straight face makes the mind reel. 

Opus 40 is art. It is grand in scale and beautiful to behold. It’s also not that well known outside of NY, so I believe it’s underrated.

How bizarre that you feel the need to dismiss it by disparaging groups of people with clearly political statements.

9 hours ago, Bokomaru said:

Opus 40 is art. It is grand in scale and beautiful to behold. It’s also not that well known outside of NY, so I believe it’s underrated.

How bizarre that you feel the need to dismiss it by disparaging groups of people with clearly political statements.

I googled Opus 40 because I had never heard of it even though I used to live in NYC (how embarrassing).  It looks beautiful, and the story behind it is fascinating.

I am definitely adding it to my bucket list.  If a bunch of hippies & modern-day Druids happen to be there the day I visit, that's cool.  Live and let live.