$500,000 for a watch⌚️???

bigjoey
This topic is 1139 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Baby, you‘ve been around here long enough to know the mythology of this site.

But for the new kids......

I believe the original software this site used had a filter for banned words.

As with most early programming there was a flaw....the field couldn’t be left blank.

So Hooboy chose the word w-h-o-r-e....as an inside joke....and the rest is history.

Thanks. I guess i forgot...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of these luxury watches hold their value, so I don’t see anything wrong with having them.

That is exactly right. Or they trade at substantial premiums in the aftermarket. Watches such as Rolex Daytona (steel) or Patek Phlippe Nautilus 5711/1A trade at 2x to 3x the official dealer price. That is because they are produced in limited quantities and even in a Covid-19 world, demand continues to be significantly greater than supply. It requires a very substantial relationship (read: past purchases) with a Rolex or Patek authorized dealer to be able to acquire one at dealer price. If you don't have that relationship your only option is to acquire it in the aftermarket or at auction.

I’ve been wearing a Citizen Eco Drive watch for about 4 years or so. I love it as it requires no battery or winding, just uses natural light to keep it going. It’s good looking too and not ostentatious. It says Titanium on its face but no clue what that means.

I bought a Citizen Eco Drive about ten years ago. It still keeps perfect time without a new battery; all it needs is to be exposed to light for at least part of the day, apparently any kind of light, to stay charged.

Somewhere I recall reading that really rich folks don't have to know what time it is. default_rolleyes.gif

Some uber-rich may think they control night and day, since the Earth evidently revolves around them.

That's certainly one interpretation.

Another more generous take is one of my favorite Thoreau quotes: A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

Back when I was earning an honest living, especially in my last job, my time was scheduled to the minute, sometimes six days a week. Since I quit, the luxury of having unscheduled time is one I've done my best to protect.

Today's an outlier. I've got a doctor's appointment, and four errands along the way. I've got to head out in a few minutes, and I'll be checking my iPhone as I move through the day.

Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend for a hike and dinner, so all I need to know is when to be out the door. After that, time goes by as it goes by.

Wednesday, not a thing scheduled. Thursday, Friday and Saturday each have one scheduled event, so I'll need to know when to be out the door.

Sunday's free, and next week is less scheduled than this week.

So, no watch here, and a few alarms on my iPhone will keep me moving through the week.

If I were a rich man - ? Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum ? - I'd probably have someone spritzing rosewater to wake me in the morning and letting me know when it was time to step out the door.

That person would need a watch, but not me. default_rolleyes.gif

That person would need a watch, but not me. default_rolleyes.gif

Your post reminds me of a chapter I once read in a book on etiquette.

It was about watches and when certain watches were appropriate.

What struck me most was “a gentleman never wears a watch to dinner”.

The idea was that you have set aside the entire evening to be with friends.

The evening lasts as long as it lasts. Wearing a watch, or even worse

looking at it, during an evening with friends is rude.

I took it to heart and have followed that principle ever since.