What is a misconception people have about you?

7829V
This topic is 1151 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your point but in the South even nowadays most folks who have money they got it the old way inheriting it.

I'm aware the South is changing.

answering the OP @7829V question: Most folks assume I was born with white privilege... actually that came later in life, when I was born Irish-Americans were considered "ethnics" and were denied housing and job opportunities in many places. Some covenants excluded us based on religion and race because we weren't of the "Nordic branch of the Caucasian race"

I didn't realize that you are so old! 80?

I didn't realize that you are so old! 80?

Come on! You’re not that far. You are 75 at least. Hopefully you’re active at my age!

Edit: You’ve been quoting me since you got back barely a year ago and you never wonder why my name ends in 1940?

Lawyers used to read the fine print.

Edited by marylander1940

That I came from an intellectual, upper-middle-class WASP family. The only part of that description that is accurate is that they were technically WASPs (English and German backgrounds). My parents were both high school drop-outs at 15; my father was a blue collar worker in a factory, and my mother worked as a bank teller. My widowed grandmother made it through the Depression by "sleeping with gentlemen in exchange for financial assistance," to give it a genteel interpretation. I was raised in a lower-middle-class suburb, where I went to public schools, and got through college on scholarships, work-study jobs and summer jobs; I even dropped out of college for a while and worked in a factory myself. When someone told my parents that my name had appeared in the New York Times as a recipient of a prestigious fellowship, they were dumbfounded, because they didn't know what a fellowship was. I was my parents' only heir, but there was no money or property to inherit.

I suppose people have that misconception because I am so suave and sophisticated, not to mention that I have exquisite tastes. It's mainly the result of being gay.

Come on! You’re not that far. You are 75 at least. Hopefully you’re active at my age!

Edit: You’ve been quoting me since you got back barely a year ago and you never wonder why my name ends in 1940?

Lawyers used to read the fine print.

I, too, never realized how ancient you are. But you are wrong about Lucky: he was a mere slip of a lad when you came of age.

That I’m shy.

I’m not. I’m just an introvert. I can give presentations, go to nude beaches, etc without problem. I just enjoy time alone a lot. And avoid big parties. Prefer small gatherings.

That I’m mad.

I just have a serious personality. I’m not very talkative if I don’t need to be and when I say something or make a compliment or remark I really mean it.

That I grow pot.

Just because i grow plants for a living doesn’t mean is pot.

That I’ve a big dick.

It’s average thick uncut. My hands are just very big.

It’s like you read my mind with the first two statements. What gets me is that people believe that my introverted personality is a weakness. That irritates the shit out of me, especially when they try to treat me any damn way they please. I‘m dealing with a coworker who feels that she can just say anything to me and get away with it because I’m quiet.

I could have that woman crying and babbling like the crazy bitch she is in 30 seconds, but since I’m a guy I’d be chastised pretty bad for doing that. So I’m playing by the rules and reporting her on a weekly basis, we have our meeting with our boss in the coming week. Crazy thing is that she thinks that no one knows how she is....