Harvey Milk

Merboy

I was there in 1967, the "summer of love," and I really did see some flowers in the hair of hippies in the Haight.

For me 1967 was the year of Expo 67 in Montreal, my hometown. I worked there during the summer months but left early to go back to university. It was a blast and the entire world seemed to be focussed on it, since every day was a national day celebrated at that country’s pavillion.

I remember seeing Bobby Kennedy who visited in place of LBJ. Of course Queen Elizabeth opened it but I was up North doing some school assignments and only saw it on television. Charles de Gaulle came but left in a hurry when he insulted the country at the city hall. It was the most successful worlds fair of all time and never surpassed.

And the big hit that year along with San Francisco by Scott Mackenzie was Don’t sleep in the subway by Petula Clark. Montreal’s subway opened just a few weeks before Expo.

I went to Expo 67 as part of a trip to the Northeast. We stopped in Boston for a game at Fenway Park, went to Cooperstown to see the Hall of Fame, and had a blast in Montreal at the Expo. No gay stuff at that time in my life, although the sexy bellboy speaking French intrigued me.

I feel it's important to include Harvey Milk's death as a stark reminder of what the Black Lives Matter seeks to accomplish and shed light on. Dan White was an ex cop who intended to murder 4 people and succeeded with 2: the Mayor and Harvey Milk. Because of his association with and support from the police, Dan got a slap on the wrist with 7 years for "voluntary mansluaghter" - then released on parole after 5 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe we'll see a bunch of big towns and small cities become new gay meccas - which might help change some antigay hostile state governments.

Unfortunately there’s a cycle of urban development with big towns that usually doesn’t last forever (so enjoy it when it’s at its peak):

First: Areas start fresh from decay and delapidation

Second: The Gays come in and (out of bravery) invest and initiate revitalization, making the area “hip”, and “trendy”.

Third: The bland yuppies come in, then big-box businessses, and the gays leave (cash out from what they have smartly invested) the area becomes “good”, but loses its authenticity, and looks like every other over-developed city.... housing prices skyrocket.

I live in DC and have seen this occur in various “gayborhoods” over the years.

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, Merboy said:

I do know that there was a boy Harvey had spoke to from Altoona, Pennsylvania and they show this in the 2008 film Milk. So it seems like a lot of small town boys heard of him and thought to move to San Francisco. Did the gay population of San Francisco undergo a rapid increase after Harvey's assassination?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that phone call took place. I know who made the call, from what phone the call was made and how nervous the kid was that the religious institution would figure out who made the call and make the parents reimburse the phone charge. The call wäs discussed by a few gay guys at my ten year high school reunion where one guy gave a piece of information only the caller would have known. Each of us gay men from the Altoona Area High School class of 1982 had at some point been asked if he had made the call. The caller did confirm it was him, told the whole story but asked that the other two not tell his name. I can tell you it was made from a black rotary wall phone in a house of worship and long distance was subsequently blocked from that phone. My family were congregants there.

13 hours ago, CJK said:

I can tell you with 100% certainty that phone call took place. I know who made the call, from what phone the call was made and how nervous the kid was that the religious institution would figure out who made the call and make the parents reimburse the phone charge. The call wäs discussed by a few gay guys at my ten year high school reunion where one guy gave a piece of information only the caller would have known. Each of us gay men from the Altoona Area High School class of 1982 had at some point been asked if he had made the call. The caller did confirm it was him, told the whole story but asked that the other two not tell his name. I can tell you it was made from a black rotary wall phone in a house of worship and long distance was subsequently blocked from that phone. My family were congregants there.

Thank you so much for sharing that.  You are a fellow Pennsylvanian, my brother 🙂 I am from the Poconos (Northeastern PA).

18 hours ago, Merboy said:

Thank you so much for sharing that.  You are a fellow Pennsylvanian, my brother 🙂 I am from the Poconos (Northeastern PA).

I was born and raised on a farm in Berks County. Got to spend some time in the Poconos almost every summer. Went to college at Bucknell in Union County and did graduate school at Pitt. Now I live in Los Angeles, which confuses everyone. You can take the boy out of PA, but you can't take the PA out of the boy, I guess. Thanks for sharing about the phone call, CJK. That's an awesome story. 

On 1/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, Charlie said:

I went to both the "summer of love" in SF and Expo 67 that year. I had lots of sex in SF, none in Montreal, even though I went to Expo with gay friends.

Good for you. I was in basic training in Army's Fort Dix, New Jersey in the Summer of 1067. I enjoyed the group showers 😊😊

On 3/21/2022 at 11:33 PM, CJK said:

I spent six summers at camp in Wayne County. It is pretty up there. 

wow Wayne, is that where Lake Wallenpaupauck is?  And Shohola?  I know Pike - its above Monroe.  I miss it, I'm in Boston now but not by choice.  I want to go back home

Edited by Merboy

On 3/22/2022 at 2:17 PM, Romany147 said:

I was born and raised on a farm in Berks County. Got to spend some time in the Poconos almost every summer. Went to college at Bucknell in Union County and did graduate school at Pitt. Now I live in Los Angeles, which confuses everyone. You can take the boy out of PA, but you can't take the PA out of the boy, I guess. Thanks for sharing about the phone call, CJK. That's an awesome story. 

I was raised in Monroe County, PA, then went to high school in Bangor, PA (the Slate Belt; Northampton County), then went to college at ESU (East Stroudsburg University), didn't really like it (wanted to be in the Greenwich Village), then moved to the Lehigh Valley which I did really like.  I'm in Boston now but want to go home so bad, I miss it.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2021 at 4:13 PM, Charlie said:

I was there in 1967, the "summer of love," and I really did see some flowers in the hair of hippies in the Haight.

In the Summer of 1968 I was on my way to Vietnam as a draftee leaving from Oakland. I spent a day and a half in San Francisco first - miserable time.

Lucky you, pal.