Harvey Milk

Merboy

I only wish he could have lived. I wonder how he would have changed America even more. I wonder what he would have done during the AIDS crisis. I bet he would have become the national spokesman for gay men in America in the 80s and 90s... and matured into an elder statesman type by 2000.

He was cut down too soon and even in his short time as a national figure, he made such an impact. LOVE HIM.

The Times of Harvey Milk documentary is the only documentary that actually made me weep.

You did not title the thread with a question. Isn't that your usual practice? :D

I moved to California on the day that Harvey Milk was assassinated. Tragic as his death was, it did motivate others to step up and step in to further his goals. Gays went from being a source of mockery to actual power in San Francisco.

He had a bit of a transformation with his stylings... i wonder if it was to help get elected in what was still a fairly homophobic city (just as all cities were).

920x920.jpg

milkcity-hall.jpg

1978?

Do you really think San Francisco voters cared about his hair? Really?

Just my opinion here, @Merboy but I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this thread about Harvey Milk. You start out like you want to pay tribute, and that's great. But subsequent posts are meaningless and not a tribute to the memory of Harvey Milk. He deserves a thread that has some idea of where it is going. Just my opinion!

Just my opinion here, @Merboy but I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this thread about Harvey Milk. You start out like you want to pay tribute, and that's great. But subsequent posts are meaningless and not a tribute to the memory of Harvey Milk. He deserves a thread that has some idea of where it is going. Just my opinion!

I agree... I derailed it.

You did not title the thread with a question. Isn't that your usual practice? :D

I moved to California on the day that Harvey Milk was assassinated. Tragic as his death was, it did motivate others to step up and step in to further his goals. Gays went from being a source of mockery to actual power in San Francisco.

Lucky, May I ask how it made you feel when you moved there on that horrific day? Could you share with us why you had initially decided to move to California? Did you live in a small town before? Thanks

I do know that there was a boy Harvey had spoke to from Altoona, Pennsylvania and they show this in the 2008 film Milk. So it seems like a lot of small town boys heard of him and thought to move to San Francisco. Did the gay population of San Francisco undergo a rapid increase after Harvey's assassination?

There was an article about him in The Advocate about the time the Sean Penn movie came out. It mentioned that he may well have died from the AIDS epidemic himself had he not been assassinated.

And, of course, he might not have.

"Is San Francisco really that gay anymore?" there's the question lol :cool: because P-town isn't as gay as I'd like.

Although I do not live in "The City," I've visited it quite often for some 50+ years. It's definitely changed, for the once distinguishing gay hoods, Polk Street, Castro, and South of Market are a "blend now." With the city becoming way expensive: the tech industry has had a great impact, many gays have moved to the East Bay or elsewhere. ...few gay bars exist, no more Nob Hill theater. [

I merely scratched the surface in some of the visible changes. Perhaps one who's lived there for as long as I have visited can chime in here.]

In spite of the preceding, I still ? San Francisco, the City by the Bay!

had lunch with a couple of forum members here four or five years ago.....never was owned or operated by Milk (it opened years after his death), but it's just a few doors away from his old camera shop......

https://harveyssf.com/

harvey-s.jpg

I'

Terminal 2 at San Francisco Airport is undergoing a major renovation and when it re-opens it will be named “Harvey Milk Terminal”

It's actually Terminal 1. Terminal 1 was dedicated to Milk when the first phase of the reconstruction opened in July 2019.

Terminal 2 in the old international terminal. It reopened in 2011 following a reconstruction subsequent to the opening of the new International Terminal in 2000

Terminal 2 at San Francisco Airport is undergoing a major renovation and when it re-opens it will be named “Harvey Milk Terminal”

It's actually Terminal 1. Terminal 1 was dedicated to Milk when the first phase of the reconstruction opened in July 2019.

Terminal 2 in the old international terminal. It reopened in 2011 following a reconstruction subsequent to the opening of the new International Terminal in 2000