? Get your Flu Shot ! ?

orville
This topic is 1207 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got my first shingles shot tonight. My doctor's office says they can't get it, but told me if I found it anywhere I should get it (I had chickpox when I was 10). CVS has the vaccine. I mentioned to the pharmacist that my doctor didn't have it. She suggested that CVS's enormous buying power might be why they have it. Now I just hope I don't have any of the side effects which don't sound fun. My doctor did have the flu vaccine though.

If the pharmacist was a hot male I would've asked for the 'flesh' one ?

Alas, she is not a hot male. I almost drove to Tempe (10-ish miles away) where two of the pharmacists (if they are still there) are kinda cute, but I just wanted to get my grocery shopping done. I did have a crush on the 40-something, handsome, hairy pharmacist who was previously stationed at my closest store, but he was reassigned. :(

There are over 170 types of HPV, many of which are entirely asymptomatic, relatively harmless, or the body can fight off. So rather than trying to fit 170 different types of HPV into a needle and hoping the immune system adapts defenes against all of them, the researchers focused on the HPV types that are most likely to lead to cervical cancer, genital warts, and cancers of the mouth, anus, etc. So the HPV vaccine isn’t perfect, but it literally is a vaccine for many types of cancer.

And people who firmly believe in the scientific reasoning behind vaccines push for more people to take vaccines in order to maximize their societal benefits. The more people immune to whatever disease reduces its spread, and saves lives or reduces suffering.

The more people get the HPV vaccine, the lower chance that people who can’t receive it (immunocompromised, whatever) come in contact with HPV and later on develop cancers.

interesting, thanks for the clarification. I think the topic actually came up because he was saying he felt like he may have anal cancer, but had hpv vaccine.

I haven’t fucked him in awhile, so I’ve not been able to examine his...hole, lately. But he seems to feel like it’s something serious. So he was just saying he hopes it “wasn’t” cancer related.

The HPV vaccine is a special case in which the target virus is widespread in the human population in many variants, as noted above. Recommendation is for young people to be vaccinated before they become sexually active, or up to age 26 as a kind of catch-up. Beyond that, anyone sexually active at all (ahem) is almost surely infected with an array of HPV types already and the vaccine is presumed useless. I tested positive for HPV years ago in a research study, although I didn't get the strains that they found at that time. A few months ago I asked my doctor for a "pap smear" up the butt. The result was that no abnormal cells were found, and no evidence of the "worrisome" strains of HPV. Good to know.

Edited by robear

My story: last year (pre-Covid in November) I got 1 of the Hep shot vaccinations (mainly b/c I want to eventually get a tattoo and be safe). During the same time, doc asked if I wanted a flu Shot. I said nope! I felt I had already gotten “a virus” earlier last year in April, and since then, hadn’t felt anything similar to it up until last week, where I briefly hovered at 99.3 degrees. I immediately Tylenoled, Robittusin and Antibioticed myself down and laid low. I felt better within 2 days. I don’t plan to get a flu vaccine this year. Not that I don’t believe in it, but simply because it’s not enough guarantee for me to feel like getting one. You also can’t vaccinate a cold or a sinus infection virus, or seasonal allergies/weather changes that just leave me in a congested funk. real life shit I’ve actually had.

I have had times I come down with a sore throat so intense, I lose my voice. I usually have to lose work for a week. Doctor says: it’s a virus. I say, is it the flu? Chlamydia or Gonorreah in my throat? They say no. It’s just been “going around”. That’s why I don’t mind this whole mask ? thing. It’s kept other stuff down too.

It’s amazing how some people (Not referring to the OP, but just in general) will scold someone to get a Vaccination but will happily chow down on a box of fries that has 1,000 calories, won’t floss or brush their teeth at the end of the night, or hasn’t lifted a weight or ran a mile in years. If all of that is superficial, by all means suggesting someone inject a foreign substance administered by a stranger with the “idea” of keeping safe...seems strange to me.

contrary to some posters opinions here, I think it’s only fair to give both sides...without judgment or ridicule:

Oc0oDnUaxEv9M2Io4sJ70T7t6C-ijXhNzwbCrVuUFKU4WxMrPK4u0drpA7-S-ukZ1DBJVWr-exx1_6aDpn9bjgvDy6x6vA

flu-vaccine.jpg

Passing around anti-vaccination propaganda and being a person who takes antibiotics for an undiagnosed sore throat is not only terrible medical advice but can be dangerous. You don't want to get the flu shot? That's fine and giving your reasons doing so is also ok. But passing around information that contradicts 99% of doctors and scientists is part of the reason why we have antibiotic-resistant bacteria and new outbreaks of measles.

There was a big article in the Globe and Mail newspaper in Toronto today profiling Robert F Kennedy Jr. and how he has gone from being an environmentalist to an anti-vaccer today. He has a lot of followers it seems. I wish he had stuck with his first passionate cause.

I'd like to think his father would have smacked him upside the head had he known what his son would become. Oh what this country could have been had Bobby lived and won the presidency in 68.

Got mine today. First time ever. I'm 48, so I wasn't planning on doing it until I was 50/55 anyway, but given the present circumstances...

Hurt a lot less than a Tetanus shot, but still it's IM (intramuscular). We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Arm was a little sore for a few hours and now I feel nothing.

Passing around anti-vaccination propaganda and being a person who takes antibiotics for an undiagnosed sore throat is not only terrible medical advice but can be dangerous. You don't want to get the flu shot? That's fine and giving your reasons doing so is also ok. But passing around information that contradicts 99% of doctors and scientists is part of the reason why we have antibiotic-resistant bacteria and new outbreaks of measles.

I really wasn’t trying to make it an argument. I just gave my side. I was never giving medical advice. Please don’t find stuff to nitpick and argue over.

FYI, the antibiotics I had was prescribed to me earlier this year, and it is prescribed for the intended purpose I’m using it for. It’s called having prescriptions on hand, to be filled when I need them. Genius.

The reason why there’s antibiotic resistant bacteria has nothing to do with “passing around contradicting information”. That’s about as silly as saying bugs are resistant to certain pesticides, because people keep passing around the wrong information about bugs.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

You aren't a fool if you don't want something FORCED into your body!

You're also not a fool if you don't want to pay taxes, or do jury duty, or blah blah blah. Then, again, that's why we have laws. Sometimes we have to do things we might not want to do as part of being members of society. A person may be too stupid to understand why he has to buy liability insurance if he drives a car, wear face covering in the supermarket, or whatever. We have laws to force stupid people to do things they don't feel like doing just because they don't understand why.

I really wasn’t trying to make it an argument. I just gave my side. I was never giving medical advice. Please don’t find stuff to nitpick and argue over.

FYI, the antibiotics I had was prescribed to me earlier this year, and it is prescribed for the intended purpose I’m using it for. It’s called having prescriptions on hand, to be filled when I need them. Genius.

The reason why there’s antibiotic resistant bacteria has nothing to do with “passing around contradicting information”. That’s about as silly as saying bugs are resistant to certain pesticides, because people keep passing around the wrong information about bugs.

It's nice to know you can diagnose your sore throat as a bacterial infection without any tests. The amount of doctors who over prescribe antibiotics for illnesses for which they have no effect is the main reason we are seeing antibiotic-resistant bacteria. I certainly won't presume to know why you have a standing antibiotic prescription.

Actually, one reason for pesticide resistant bugs is exactly that. People overuse pesticides because companies like Monsanto spread disinformation about how their products should be used solely to get people to overuse them so they can make more money. It's exactly the same problem. Using antibiotics for every single and sneeze is no different than constant and continuous spray of pesticides.

Hopefully, this will reduce the amount of flu in the community (where ever you live).

There's a very good chance that it will, if a huge experiment that's been conducted in the southern hemisphere over the last six months is any guide. You're welcome!

I had commented in the past about a huge reduction in respiratory disease in general and in the incidence of influenza in particular in Australia this winter. Covid-19 precautionary measures seem to have reduced other diseases as well. I've had colds every year of my life, until this year. The Economist crunched WHO data from the six southern hemisphere countries for which it was available (Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand), and in the article it published it noted:

Data from Australia tell a remarkable tale. From May to mid-August of 2015-19, an average of 86,000 Australians tested positive for the flu each year, and around 130 died of it. This winter the government has registered only 627 influenza infections and just a single death.

Tests were only down 20%. It's the second of three items in this podcast. https://play.acast.com/s/theintelligencepodcast/homework-thefutureoftheoffice There is even a chance that there will be a minimal flu season in the northern hemisphere because it has to come from somewhere, and the south is far less a source this year than usual, and travel, by which much of its spread occurs is minimal.

That is not to say that influenza won't be an issue this northern winter, so it's no reason not to have the shot.

It's nice to know you can diagnose your sore throat as a bacterial infection without any tests.

Also, were they Prescribed antibiotics left over from prior infection? Many people don’t use the full course of antibiotics, stopping when they “feel better”. That’s not usually as prescribed.

Also, were they Prescribed antibiotics left over from prior infection? Many people don’t use the full course of antibiotics, stopping when they “feel better”. That’s not usually as prescribed.

Just to say it, not taking the full course of prescribed antibiotics has been demonstrated to create the circumstances under which bacteria can develop antibiotic resistance.

For those who have a hard time understanding anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, climate-change-deniers, etc;

please remember that they are in part the product of algorithm-based fake news' distribution on Social Media.

Many people are more 'profitable' for Tech companies when they're more polarized and dis-informed.

Fake news is more entertaining and engaging than true news on Social Media, hence they spread 6X faster.

Below is a 2 min excerpt by AP, but you can watch 'The Social Dilemma' Documentary on Netflix, or on go123movies for free.

Edited by orville

You claim to be a physician. I hope you are a better physician than you are gifted at furnishing incorrect information.

When I reported my reaction from a flu shot, I did not go into detail because I did not anticipate a forum poster (well-intended?) would respond with information that contradicts the CDC.

A good physician should know, that although rare, some people have adverse reactions to a flu shot.

The below furnished CDC article supports this fact.

In my case, I could not leave my bed for several days following my reaction, I was so ill and weak.

I was in the military at the time I had the vaccine. After I was able to leave my bed following the terrible reaction, I was eventually diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Although unusual, a patient getting a flu vaccination, can and does develop Guillain Barre Syndrome.

See the below CDC article that confirms the vaccine association.

By the way, I did not recommend that any person do as I do, i.e., not take a flu vaccination.

I merely reported my experience and stated that I never took another flu vaccine and have never been ill after recovering from the initial flu vaccine caused Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Here is a portion of the below-cited article that is offered by the CDC (Center for Disease Control).

GBS is rare.

Anyone can develop GBS, but people older than 50 are at greatest risk. In addition, about two-thirds of people who get GBS do so several days or weeks after they have been sick with diarrhea or a lung or sinus illness. Infection with the bacteria Campylobacter jejuni, which causes gastroenteritis (including symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea), is one of the most common risk factors for GBS. People also can develop GBS after having the flu or other infections such as cytomegalovirus and Epstein Barr virus. On very rare occasions, people develop GBS in the days or weeks after getting a vaccination.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/guillain-barre-syndrome.html

My report should be considered by anyone considering a flu vaccine. The information is considered "informed consent" as you should know.

Dear readers, just because I got ill from a flu shot does not mean others should avoid the shot. As the CDC article states, it is a rare occurrence to get ill. Statistically, those taking a flu vaccine should be fine. Just be aware of the possibility of an adverse reaction.

Thank you for expanding and explaining because your original post is easy to misinterpret or misread. When I read it, my first thought was GBS, but it is quite rare, so many probably wouldn't think about it. What happened to you was unfortunate but most people should still get the flu vaccine because high enough compliance helps protect people like you who are unable to take it. People should talk to their doctor because their medical history matters.

Edited by LivingnLA

interesting, thanks for the clarification. I think the topic actually came up because he was saying he felt like he may have anal cancer, but had hpv vaccine.

I haven’t fucked him in awhile, so I’ve not been able to examine his...hole, lately. But he seems to feel like it’s something serious. So he was just saying he hopes it “wasn’t” cancer related.

That's entirely possible if he was infected with a cancer-causing strain before getting the vaccine. HPV is incredibly wide-spread in our population. That's part of why the HPV vaccination recommendation is at such low ages. It's critical to get the protection against the 9 known problematic strains before being exposed to one of them. And that's also part of why the recommendation stops around 45 because by that point, a sexually active human will have been exposed to many different HPV strains. It will take years to know if they develop cancer or other problems. I strongly encourage people to get the HPV series of Gardasil 9 as early as possible.

Edited by LivingnLA

There's a very good chance that it will, if a huge experiment that's been conducted in the southern hemisphere over the last six months is any guide. You're welcome!

I had commented in the past about a huge reduction in respiratory disease in general and in the incidence of influenza in particular in Australia this winter. Covid-19 precautionary measures seem to have reduced other diseases as well. I've had colds every year of my life, until this year. The Economist crunched WHO data from the six southern hemisphere countries for which it was available (Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand), and in the article it published it noted:

Data from Australia tell a remarkable tale. From May to mid-August of 2015-19, an average of 86,000 Australians tested positive for the flu each year, and around 130 died of it. This winter the government has registered only 627 influenza infections and just a single death.

Tests were only down 20%. It's the second of three items in this podcast. https://play.acast.com/s/theintelligencepodcast/homework-thefutureoftheoffice There is even a chance that there will be a minimal flu season in the northern hemisphere because it has to come from somewhere, and the south is far less a source this year than usual, and travel, by which much of its spread occurs is minimal.

That is not to say that influenza won't be an issue this northern winter, so it's no reason not to have the shot.

Yes, preliminary data from many Southern Hemisphere countries with high public health compliance supports the idea that the precautions taken against COVID19 should also help against other respiratory infections with similar transmission profiles: distancing, masks, and minimizing time indoors especially around people who don't live with you are critical. Frequent cleaning and sanitizing of surfaces and hands also help.

The problem for the USA is that the very same communities with poor compliance for distancing, masking, and limiting travel/time around others are the very same people who are more likely not to get vaccinated or take the necessary precautions against the flu. Only time will tell if the healthcare systems in those communities will be overwhelmed over the next four months or so.

Edited by LivingnLA

Thank you for expanding and explaining because your original post is easy to misinterpret or misread. When I read it, my first thought was GBS, but it is quite rare, so many people probably wouldn't think about it. What happened to you was unfortunate but most people should still get the flu vaccine because high enough compliance helps even protect people like you who are unable to take it. It means people should talk to their doctors because of their medical history matters. People who've had the flu are at higher risk to develop GBS, along with various other risk factors.

The voice of reason. Thank you

-

You're also not a fool if you don't want to pay taxes, or do jury duty, or blah blah blah. Then, again, that's why we have laws. Sometimes we have to do things we might not want to do as part of being members of society. A person may be too stupid to understand why he has to buy liability insurance if he drives a car, wear face covering in the supermarket, or whatever. We have laws to force stupid people to do things they don't feel like doing just because they don't understand why.

So, I am STUPID because I don't want a vaccine?! WOW! LOL Thanks....

Nah, I am not STUPID. And it is NOT a LAW to GET the vaccine...and it won't be!

There are no laws mandating a flu shot.

A flu shot is a personal matter.

It is a matter of choice.

We live (or die) with the consequences of our choices.

-

As of this time, I don't know of any states which mandate flu shots for adults. Many employers do. What's important to understand, at least with diseases spread through the air, is that a decision not to get vaccinated also affects other people, so some employers say "No flu shot, no work." Many Americans really consider only their own personal "rights" and not how their decision affects others. I suspect that if a safe and effective Covid-19 vaccine becomes generally available, most employers will require it for work, schools will require it to let the student get into (in-person) class, airlines will require it to board a plane, and most countries will require it to be allowed entry into their countries. One cannot control the behavior of foolish people, but one can try to minimize the effects of their bad decisions on the innocent public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

Edited by Unicorn