2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

CuriousByNatur, I make all of my own sauces. I find marinara too bland for my taste so I make a puttanesca as my basic red (tomato) sauce. My recipe call for imported Italian canned tomatoes, anchovies, sliced stuffed green olives, pitted sliced kalamata olives, capers, basil, and red pepper flakes. The anchovies are essential and the sauce has tons of flavor.

Sounds delicious! I also find Marinara to be a bit of a let-down. I will often use a jarred Marinara as a base, adding it to the sauteed onion, garlic, anchovies, chili peppers and wine. With additional basil, oregano and ground pepper.

CuriousByNatur, I make all of my own sauces. I find marinara too bland for my taste so I make a puttanesca as my basic red (tomato) sauce. My recipe call for imported Italian canned tomatoes, anchovies, sliced stuffed green olives, pitted sliced kalamata olives, capers, basil, and red pepper flakes. The anchovies are essential and the sauce has tons of flavor.

Sounds delicious! I also find Marinara to be a bit of a let-down. I will often use a jarred Marinara as a base, adding it to the sauteed onion, garlic, anchovies, chili peppers and wine. With additional basil, oregano and ground pepper.

That would be the way to make it. I have developed a repertory of simple and quick Italian sauces: marinara, arrabiata, puttanesca, al'Amatrice, and Marcella Hassan's famous sauce with only 4 ingredients (canned tomatoes, onion, butter and salt.)

QUOTE="Epigonos, post: 2089434, member: 4343"]

O-o-o-h!! That sounds so delish. What time is dinner? That will go nice with a fine red wine which I'd gladly supply.

If you haven't checked rental car rates lately you really should 1st. I don't know about PS but most places they've exploded. A couple places I go a lot and usually get sub-$200/wk rates are now over $650/wk for an economy! Rental companies dumped most of their cars for the pandemic and haven't begun restocking yet even though travel is increasing fast.

Thx. I made a reservation with Hertz late last week for a "manager's special" car. I just checked today and Hertz looks like it's sold out for that weekend (April 9-12) so am glad I at least have a reservation.

Unlike past years, this time I reserved a car. Best deal I could get was a mid-sized SUV from Budget at the airport at $43 per day for 5 days. Much higher than I had expected. In the past I relied on Uber/Lyft and the kindness of others to shuttle me around town. It was OK, but this year I will be in a position to return the favor, so hit me up if you need a ride somewhere. I'm staying at Inndulge.

That's great! I checked Budget today and it looks like a mid-sized SUV is now over $65/day.

I read in the news that some rental car places run out of cars (even for those people who made a reservation) so am hoping I'll be ok. I did look at other options in case Hertz runs out of cars or if Uber/Lyft are crazy prices and it looks like there is public transportation called SunBus that goes to PSP airport to downtown Palm Springs once an hour. Normally it's $1 for the ride but due to pandemic they are currently not collecting fares.

SunBus fare suspended until May 2nd: https://www.sunline.org/riding-sunline/pricing

SunBus route from airport: https://www.sunline.org/sites/default/files/Route-2.pdf

I'm making this into a road trip so I will have my car and am happy to carpool to events with other gentlemen that do not. I'm staying at Canyon Club so anyone that is staying there (or nearby) is more than welcome to ride with me. I'm fully vaccinated and can wear masks if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Thx. I made a reservation with Hertz late last week for a "manager's special" car. I just checked today and Hertz looks like it's sold out for that weekend (April 9-12) so am glad I at least have a reservation.

That's great! I checked Budget today and it looks like a mid-sized SUV is now over $65/day.

I read in the news that some rental car places run out of cars (even for those people who made a reservation) so am hoping I'll be ok. I did look at other options in case Hertz runs out of cars or if Uber/Lyft are crazy prices and it looks like there is public transportation called SunBus that goes to PSP airport to downtown Palm Springs once an hour. Normally it's $1 for the ride but due to pandemic they are currently not collecting fares.

SunBus fare suspended until May 2nd: https://www.sunline.org/riding-sunline/pricing

SunBus route from airport: https://www.sunline.org/sites/default/files/Route-2.pdf

Depending on where you are staying downtown and how much luggage you have, you could actually walk from the airport to your destination. Unlike many cities, the airport is across the street from City Hall.

I'm making this into a road trip so I will have my car and am happy to carpool to events with other gentlemen that do not. I'm staying at Canyon Club so anyone that is staying there (or nearby) is more than welcome to ride with me. I'm fully vaccinated and can wear masks if that makes you feel more comfortable.

You should find a lot of gentlemen staying at CC. It is usually occupied by a lot of guys for the event.

Ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto. ? ? ? ?

Edited by Lookin

Depending on where you are staying downtown and how much luggage you have, you could actually walk from the airport to your destination. Unlike many cities, the airport is across the street from City Hall.

NOT RECOMMENDED! If you can't pay a cab fare for a very short ride, why come at all?

NOT RECOMMENDED! If you can't pay a cab fare for a very short ride, why come at all?

I don't think it's a matter of being able to afford a cab fare, but rather if there are no cabs available or if uber/lyft has a 60 min+ wait or if the car rental companies run out of cars. Some people with car rental reservations arrive at the counter to find out the car rental company ran out of cars..

Friend sent me this youtube video to remind me of Seinfeld's experience with renting cars: