2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1125 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have very little respect for the CDC. It has been wrong so many time that, at least for me, it has little credibility. I much prefer the studies and conclusions reached by Harvard Medical School in conjunction with Pfizer and the Israeli Health Department. The CDC is likely to change its recommendations between now at the Palm Springs Weekend several times. God only knows what they will be recommending by the time the Weekend rolls around. What one must, in the end, do is what makes one comfortable.

The reason the CDC was wrong so many times was because of political influence from the previous guy's administration interfering with the professionals there. No different than every other agency of he attempted to destroy.

Islesguy I agree with you that the CDC has been wrong so many times because of political influence. That has certainly been true in the past and it will continue to be so in the present and in the future. Similarly Dr. Fauci recently announced that the pandemic had been reduced to the level that schools could start reopening. The big city school district unions when ballistic and in a week he walked back that statement -- political influence.

However, the basic problem with the CDC is that it is involved in a multitude of areas than have absolutely nothing to do with Disease Control ie. Home and Recreational Safety, Motor Vehicle Safety, Prescription Drug Overdose, Tramatic Brain Injury and Violence Prevention to name just a few. I certainly do NOT deny the importance of these areas BUT I do ask what they have to do with disease prevention. The CDC has been forced by Congress and Executive administrations to take on many pet project and thus spend a great of time and money on areas totally unrelated to disease control. It is important to remember that ALL public agencies be they federal, state or local are political institutions and therefore are subject to political pressure.

Edited by Epigonos

Islesguy I agree with you that the CDE has been wrong so many times because of political influence. That has certainly been true in the past and it will continue to be so in the present and in the future. Similarly Dr. Fauci recently announced that the pandemic had been reduced to the level that schools could start reopening. The big city school district unions when ballistic and in a week he walked back that statement -- political influence.

However, the basic problem with the CDC is that it is involved in a multitude of areas than have absolutely nothing to do with Disease Control ie. Home and Recreational Safety, Motor Vehicle Safety, Prescription Drug Overdose, Tramatic Brain Injury and Violence Prevention to name just a few. I certainly do NOT deny the importance of these areas BUT I do ask what they have to do with disease prevention. The CDC has been forced by Congress and Executive administrations to take on many pet project and thus spend a great of time on money on areas totally unrelated to disease control. It is important to remember that ALL public agencies be they federal, state or local are political institutions and therefore are subject to political pressure.

True about being subject to politcal presume. Let's hope mayors, governors appoint people to important jobs with a great background.

When Frank Rizzo was mayor of Philadelphia in the 1970s, he appointed someone who asked for a job, and six month later that person would be running the housing authority.

However, I think you are exaggerating now @Epigonos about teacher unions

Islesguy I agree with you that the CDE has been wrong so many times because of political influence. That has certainly been true in the past and it will continue to be so in the present and in the future. Similarly Dr. Fauci recently announced that the pandemic had been reduced to the level that schools could start reopening. The big city school district unions when ballistic and in a week he walked back that statement -- political influence.

However, the basic problem with the CDC is that it is involved in a multitude of areas than have absolutely nothing to do with Disease Control ie. Home and Recreational Safety, Motor Vehicle Safety, Prescription Drug Overdose, Tramatic Brain Injury and Violence Prevention to name just a few. I certainly do NOT deny the importance of these areas BUT I do ask what they have to do with disease prevention. The CDC has been forced by Congress and Executive administrations to take on many pet project and thus spend a great of time on money on areas totally unrelated to disease control. It is important to remember that ALL public agencies be they federal, state or local are political institutions and therefore are subject to political pressure.

Taking on areas that shouldn't be under the CDC especially things that are already covered by other agencies is really dumb. There's a whole Cabinet level agency devoted to transportation for one.

Unfortunately needlessly repetitive laws are the norm. Now there is a call for a domestic terrorism law when there are enough other laws already on the books that cover those crimes. Something bad happens, people call for a new law. Maybe the goal should be applying the law equally to all so those crimes are actually prosecuted instead of just writing a new law that always seems to come with unintended consequences.

WilliamM the Democrats in general and the Biden Administration in paticular owe the big city teacher unions big time. Those unions dump huge amounts of money into the Democratic Party coffers and they were major contributors to the Biden campaign. When they howl and demand the Democrats and the Biden Administration listen and act. The unions don't want to send their members back to the classrooms until ALL of their demands are met, some of which are absurd. Dr. Fauci took a position the unions opposed and he was "forced" to change that position - political influence.

Edited by Epigonos

WilliamM the Democrats in general and the Biden Administration in paticular owe the big city teacher unions big time. Those unions dump huge amounts of money into the Democratic Party coffers and they were major contributors to the Biden campaign. When then howl and demand the Democrats and the Biden Administration listen and act. The unions don't want to send their members back to the classrooms until ALL of their demands are met, some of which are absurd. Dr. Fauci took a position the unions opposed and he was "forced" to change that position - political influence.

I have mixed feelings about unions. However, I worked in a union supermarket in high schoolool (junior and senior years) in Massachusetts.

I saved enough money so I didn't have to work while my university was in session, only in Summers

I still cannot believe I have not yet been to Palm Springs!!!

Me neither but that's changing in 3.5 weeks! I saw Inndulge was fully booked so I just made reservation at desert paradise across the street. Hope to meet some of you guys! My second shot is in 9 days so will be vaccinated by then but will still be wearing face mask, etc.

Went to this event a couple years ago. My favorite memory is what a nice person Oliver is. How wonderful of you to open your home up for us folks. Additionally I'm just delighted events like this are being planned and looked forward to. It makes me think we might someday get back to some sense of "normal", whatever that is/was. I'm hopeful.

Went to this event a couple years ago. My favorite memory is what a nice person Oliver is. How wonderful of you to open your home up for us folks. Additionally I'm just delighted events like this are being planned and looked forward to. It makes me think we might someday get back to some sense of "normal", whatever that is/was. I'm hopeful.

Oliver is truly a lovely fellow!

I really hate to disillusion you guys BUT Oliver is a tyrant and a slave driver. I should know I drive out and back to and from the Midwest with him for his Palm Springs sojourn. I also act as his chief cook and bottle washer for the Palm Springs Weekend. By the end of his Palm Springs visit I have whip marks all over my back.

Now guys don’t get your panties in a wad I’m only kidding. Oliver is truly the sweetheart you all depict. Over the years he has become one of my very, Very, VERY, best friends. He is indeed the great guy you all describe and much, Much, MUCH, more.

I really hate to disillusion you guys BUT Oliver is a tyrant and a slave driver. I should know I drive out and back to and from the Midwest with him for his Palm Springs sojourn. I also act as his chief cook and bottle washer for the Palm Springs Weekend. By the end of his Palm Springs visit I have whip marks all over my back.

I knew it. I just KNEW it!

Now guys don’t get your panties in a wad I’m only kidding. Oliver is truly the sweetheart you all depict. Over the years he has become one of my very, Very, VERY, best friends. He is indeed the great guy you all describe and much, Much, MUCH, more.

Those DEVILLED EGGS better be eggstra eggceptional this year ! ?

Restaurants re-opened for limited indoor dining yesterday, and the PS Art Museum re-opens April 1st. The aerial tram is running again, but one needs a reservation, and a friend told me yesterday that she couldn't get a reservation earlier than the end of this month, so you may want to try to get one now for that weekend.

Restaurants re-opened for limited indoor dining yesterday, and the PS Art Museum re-opens April 1st. The aerial tram is running again, but one needs a reservation, and a friend told me yesterday that she couldn't get a reservation earlier than the end of this month, so you may want to try to get one now for that weekend.

And, if you have a birthday that weekend, you should reserve now. A friend chose the Restaurant 849 for his birthday. When he said he made a reservation for 849, I thought that must be the time he was born! I hadn't heard of 849 the restaurant. To think, indoor dining already!

Just for you I'll try jj even though it is well know fact I hate the fucking things. I'm planning on make 72 of the disgusting things.

Oh come on Ep, after all these years, they should be one of your favorites. :D Although high in calories, they are a great source of protein. Try sprinkling some toasted bread crumbs or crushed french fried onions on them.... Delish.... And you gota admit, they are always a crowd pleaser !