What are You Reading?

Epigonos

I am reading Hitler: Downfall 1939-1945 by Volker Ullrich. Translation from German. The author is a historian and journalist.

My dad served in the Pacific in the Second World War, and rarely talked about it. That's why I never shut up about Vietnam.

(I did take several German History courses I n college. And I lived in West Germany for several months in 1972)

On 1/20/2022 at 9:22 PM, WilliamM said:

I am reading Hitler: Downfall 1939-1945 by Volker Ullrich. Translation from German. The author is a historian and journalist.

Is that the book that the remarkable movie Downfall was based on?  Presume so.  Great great movie.  As a skier I LOVE this mistranslation of a scene:

On 1/28/2022 at 2:10 PM, Rod Hagen said:

Is that the book that the remarkable movie Downfall was based on?  Presume so.  Great great movie.  As a skier I LOVE this mistranslation of a scene:

I doubt it. Although the name is the same. This isn't the first time we have had similar interests. I am glad.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy a good biography, and have a keen interest in American history, so I don't know why it's taken me so long to get around to Walter Isaacson's 2003 Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. I'm not that far into it, but Ben is already good company. Even as a boy and young man, what a remarkable fellow!

Also (if it counts as "reading") while on a road trip over the past week I listened to an audio book of Colm Tóibín's The Magician, a sort of fictional biography of the writer Thomas Mann. I say "sort of fictional" because a lot of the facts of Mann's life are accurately presented, but Tóibín embellishes those facts with (entirely plausible) imagined detail. I am presently through 10 of 14 CDs that run a total of 16 hours. I'd switch to book form to finish now that I'm back home, but I don't have a copy (and neither does my local library--although that's where I got the audio book).

• 2 months later...

I've been having an eclectic month of reading:

Naked Airport, A Cultural History of the World's Most Revolutionary Structure.  It's interesting but definitely a niche read. 

China in Drag, Travels with a Cross-Dresser. Written by a BBC journalist stationed in China for decades. He travels with his older language tutor across China to visit sites important to his tutor. It's a geographic tour of modern Chinese history from the Cultural Revolution, embrace of capitalism, Tiananmen Square ... in high heels.  

On 9/29/2021 at 6:34 AM, WilliamM said:

I bought Thomas Mann's Joseph and His Brothers three days ago at Barnes and Noble. Still have not taken the book out of the bag.

About 1500 pages of small print. What was I thinking?

Friend of mine read Joseph and His Brothers and said it's one of the great books.  On the level of Proust, Joyce, and Flaubert.  If I remember right,  Susan Sontag read it in German when the English was (long) out of print. 

I hope you unpacked it and loved it.

On 5/16/2022 at 1:11 PM, Rod Hagen said:

Friend of mine read Joseph and His Brothers and said it's one of the great books.  On the level of Proust, Joyce, and Flaubert.  If I remember right,  Susan Sontag read it in German when the English was (long) out of print. 

I hope you unpacked it and loved it.

I haven't read the Bible since it was required freshman year in a Catholic college. Much more at home with Buddenbrooks and The Magic Mountain and even Doctor Faustis

Robert Morrison's The Regency Years, about the years in the early 19th century when the future King George IV was ruling as Regent in place of his insane father George III. He divides the book into topics, and one of the longest chapters is Ch. 3, "Sexual Pastimes, Pleasures and Perversities." There is a lot in it about homosexuality, including male brothels, in Merrie Olde England.