What are You Reading?

Epigonos

On 9/26/2023 at 1:53 PM, adunn1992 said:

Honestly, I would love to get a list of the literary classics. I had an English professor in undergrad, share her recommendations of literary classics everyone should read.  Any feedback on some classics you all have enjoyed?

Anything by Joseph Conrad or Thomas Hardy will rivet you.  Also, Madame Bovary is devastating and wonderful.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:16 PM, WilliamM said:

The Magician

A biography  of gay German author Thomas Mann. He and his wife had six   children. They escaped to The Unified States when  Hitler came to power.

Mann received a Noble Prize  literature xor his Shot  stories and.the the novel The Magic Mountain 

A few years ago, a friend gave me Colm Toibin's novel about Henry James, "The Master;" I read it last summer and then went on to Toibin's "The Magician;" both are about men who, deep down inside, are gay, but live in a straight world.  I've read more about Toibin, who is openly gay, and I sense that he is definitely the kind of guy you'd want to sit down and have a beer with.

Just now, Rudynate said:
On 9/29/2023 at 8:11 AM, Charlie said:

It was actually a rather daring thing for the teacher to do, if he was trying to signal that he was aware of @Rudynate's interest in him and was warning him of the possible consequences.

At the time,  none of that occured to me.  I thought "why would he choose this author for me - he didn't do it for anyone else," but that was as far as I got. Many years later, it just hit me out of the blue that that's what may have been going on.  He was an interesting character - kind of edgy in an environment where nobody else was edgy.  He liked to say provocative things.  I don't remember what work we were discussing, but it involved a wedding.   And he was curious what we thought of the wedding.  He said,"some people think that weddings are actually fertility rites."   Everyone blushed and didn't say anything.  

'The Other Man: John F. Kennedy Jr., Carolyn Bessette, and Me' 

By Michael Bergin

This is the story of a small-town kid who moved to the big city, fell in love with a beautiful, mysterious woman, and found himself in competition with the most eligible bachelor in the world, John F. Kennedy Jr.

Michael Bergin reveals the truth behind a life lived in the limelight and a relationship shrouded in secrecy. From his early days growing up in a small blue-collar Connecticut town, to his meteoric rise as fashion icon and television star, to the passion he shared with the enigmatic and complex Carolyn Bessette, this is an inside look at the world of beauty, power, and celebrity.

In 1992, Michael and Carolyn met in a bar in New York City. She was unlike any woman he had ever known -- sophisticated, successful, with bewitching charm and grace. An intensely passionate relationship was born. Not long after, Michael landed the coveted Calvin Klein underwear campaign, and his career took off. The future looked bright, and Carolyn and Michael seemed destined for a long and happy life together.

But it was not to be. Four years later Michael was an international fashion icon and Carolyn was Mrs. John F. Kennedy Jr. -- however, the story doesn’t end there. This is the truth about their lives, a tale full of warmth, humor, heartbreak, and tragedy.

Above all, The Other Man is a testament to the enduring power of love and a story about the painful choices we make with our all-too-human hearts.

The Other Man.jpg

Edited by Danny-Darko

I actually just finish listening to Britney Spears memoir. “The Women in me”. 

She writes about every part of her career and the conservatorship, and I don’t wish that on my worst enemy. Leading up to that situation occurring, you can tell that her dad was controlling every part of her life in a mentally abusive way, possibly due to generational patterns of various levels of abuse as well.

It’s an excellent read or listen to finally her side of her entire career and personal life.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading My Father's Brain: Life in the Shadow of Alzheimer's, by Sandeep Jauhar, a noted cardiologist. It's a memoir about his experience with his scientist father, who eventually died of Alzheimer's. It is a worthwhile read for anyone dealing with a family member or other loved one with Alzheimer's dementia.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, Lucky said:

Confidence, by Rafael Frumkin is an entertaining novel about young con men who meet in a juvenile facility and go on to create a massive scam. Ezra is the brains behind it, and he is in love with Orson, who is the charming and handsome public face of it.

Naturally some people are wise to the scam, which has become hugely popular. As Orson becomes more famous, he pulls away from Ezra and starts dating...a woman! Orson's fate also changes as the popularity of the scam increases.

I liked the novel.

41YJDodTBTL.jpg

Six Months Later: I'd forgotten that I had read this novel and started up again. Some things seemed familiar, so I went to Amazon to see if had reviewed it. Nope. So I came here and saw this. Some novels are fun but forgettable.

If You would Have Told 

By John Stamos

Very gay friendly

Enjoys showing his nice ass.

Turned down Ryan Murphy 's offer to play a male Hooker  who screws the wife and the husband to save the marriage 

Mentors:

Dean Martin who told him to get out when you can  (from appearing on an afternoon soap opera)

Jack  Klugman  who suggested  he should sing on Broadway.  Klugman was Ethel Merman's costar on Broadway in the musical  Gypsy 

Edited by WilliamM