What are You Reading?

Epigonos

I would like to thank all the members who have posted so many entries that should inspire those like me who read less often than we think we should. So many good ideas.

On the same theme, the ABC has been interviewing politicians on what's on their holiday (or longer term) reading lists. Here is what one of the local Canberra members of the House of Reps is reading, or in his case listening to while he is running marathons. A varied and non-political list from a man of wide interests.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/what-andrew-leigh-is-reading-this-summer/101816384

• 2 weeks later...

Like A Rolling Stone

A Memoir

b Y Jann  Wenner  

Her own story, after biio by publisher of Rolling  Stone Magazine.

Some name dropping

We sample:  Jackie Onassis, Bob Dylan,  Judy Garland, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Annie Leibowitz, Ethel Kennedy, JFKJJunior to to

And  his late in life husband - hunk Matt Nye

3 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Like A Rolling Stone

A Memoir

b Y Jann  Wenner  

Her own story, after biio by publisher of Rolling  Stone Magazine.

Some name dropping

We sample:  Jackie Onassis, Bob Dylan,  Judy Garland, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Annie Leibowitz, Ethel Kennedy, JFKJJunior to to

And  his late in life husband - hunk Matt Nye

Umm, William, Jann Wenner is a man, and I don't think the pronoun is "her."

I have just finished Polk's Folly: An American Family History, by William K. Polk, a retired history professor (Harvard and Chicago) and member of the State Department in the Kennedy and Johnson administrations. He tells the story of America through the history of his own family, whose seminal ancestor was Robert Bruce Pollok, a Scottish soldier in Oliver Cromwell's army who emigrated to the British colony of Maryland in the 17th century. Robert Pollok/Polk's piece of land on Chesapeake Bay was called "Polk's Folly" because it was not very promising financially, and later generations spread out over America, producing many prominent politicians and military men, including James K. Polk, President of the United States from 1845 to 1849. Polk family members played roles in the Revolution, the Civil War, and World Wars One and Two, everything from foot soldiers and  fighter pilots to major generals and senior diplomats. Polk uses their experiences, based on troves of family documents as well as official papers, to tell a history of America as well as of his family, and he tells it extremely well, even though it becomes hard at times to keep track of how individuals are related to one another.

What I found most interesting was his explanations of the sociology of the South during the 18th and 19th centuries, which was much more complex than a simple tale of heroes and villains. His perspective on 20th century world history, in which he and his immediate family were political and diplomatic insiders, is also fascinating. He ends the book with the mysterious murder of his brother George Polk, a well known international political journalist, in Greece during the Greek civil war following World War Two, a subject about which few Americans know very much. It made me want to move on to more sources about that messy post-war period.

Surprised this one is already mentioned, I'm currently reading "The Deviant's War: The Homosexual vs. the United States of America" by Dr. Eric Cervini (super handsome too). I'm about half-way through and absolutely love it and recommend for anyone interested in US queer history. I've laughed, cried and never felt so proud to be gay (and grateful for those that paved the way). 

https://shopqueer.co/products/the-deviants-war

15 minutes ago, heydavida said:

Surprised this one is already mentioned, I'm currently reading "The Deviant's War: The Homosexual vs. the United States of America" by Dr. Eric Cervini (super handsome too). I'm about half-way through and absolutely love it and recommend for anyone interested in US queer history. I've laughed, cried and never felt so proud to be gay (and grateful for those that paved the way). 

https://shopqueer.co/products/the-deviants-war

Read it.  Loved it.  Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I read the very gay novel Just By Looking At Him, by Ryan O'Connell. It's about a TV script writer, Elliott, who has cerebral palsy.. He is in a 5 year relationship with Gus, who seems to be an ideal partner. But Elliott begins seeing a sex worker, River, who is hot and handsome and adept at his work. (Did I mention that there is a lot of sex in this novel?)

Eventually  the Gus and Elliott relationship takes a turn and the novel changes direction. For me, it was downhill from there.

The sex worker stuff in the novel made me wonder if the author is a poster here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm re-reading George RR Martin's collaborative series "Wild Cards".  He and a group of writers were intrigued by superheroes and all the various powers. They set up a premise of a virus, developed by aliens to give them wild powers, and released on Earth for testing purposes. It kills 90% of the people infected, 9% get horrible deformities, but 1% get some type of superpowers. It's gone into dozens of books, with chapters written by different authors.  The first 10 or so are the ones I like best. 

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG