What are you doing about haircuts?

newatthis
This topic is 1465 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If Covid had happened back in the 80's, I sure as hell could have done an updo... Ah memories... Alas, now I'm Uncle Fester.

It did kinda happen in the 80s.... right? The H and the A word?

But then again, there are different hair styles for different hair types. The ones I get generally involve an edge up, and that can sometimes cut into the skin if done too sharp. In my case, even though I'm not getting perfectly lined up edges and cuts, I've learned my hair pattern, and just been taking an all around with a guard, and learned how to do my front edges long time ago...sometimes when out of town for weeks, I may be in an unfamiliar area and don't want to look for or can’t find, barbers that specialize in ethnic hair.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did kinda happen in the 80s.... right? The H and the A word?

But then again, there are different hair styles for different hair types. The ones I get generally involve an edge up, and that can sometimes cut into the skin if done too sharp. In my case, even though I'm not getting perfectly lined up edges and cuts, I've learned my hair pattern, and just been taking an all around with a guard, and learned how to do my front edges long time ago...sometimes when out of town for weeks, I may be in an unfamiliar area and don't want to look for or can’t find, barbers that specialize in ethnic hair.

The H and A didn't quarantine us... :rolleyes:

I consider myself blessed to have a full head of hair at my age. I confess to being a bit vain about it and have rationalized my expensive hairstylist. Now I am starting to look like I did in my High School and college yearbook photos.

I have little on top and keep it short and the sides even shorter. It takes me about 30 seconds to deliver the self-cut - setting 5 on top, 4 in the middle, and 3 around the bottom. Can't beat the price, although I haven't figured out how to clean up with the trimmer the part around the top front of my ears.

Those with dyed hair before COVID -19 and cannot go their hair dresser, are now showing the tell-tales of their true colors... ???

Lol, depending on the style of hair and dye job they can try to dye it themselves.

I just tried to do a lilac type color, but with a product that is not meant for what I was trying to achieve really. Results?

Wayyyy to dark of a purple, had to try and wash most of it out and stained my hand for a few hours.

I understand the product better though, so going to try again this weekend. Not able to get the roots though, but luckily I last had it bleached beginning of March so it's not too bad but they are getting long.

I haven't had my haircut since February 28th. I had an appointment scheduled for 3/20, but by then the virus was spreading so I cancelled my appointment. In good faith, I paid the guy who cuts my hair for the cancellation. Earlier this month he told me he was cutting hair from his home. That kind of shocked me, but I told him I would not be getting my haircut by anyone until it is safe to do so.

I have something like that for beard and body hair. I don't have the balls to try the various haircut/hair-styling attachments, though -- I'm sure I'd end up like one of the bad examples quoted earlier in this thread.

This one is more substanial than beard clippers. I use the lowest guard on my sides and the 5/8 on top weekly and it takes 10 minutes in the shower.

So many great YouTube vids.

Buy a clipper set made for dogs - exactly the same product with guards even for about 2/3 price, add your own edger (peanut for me) and combs from dollar store or CVS. Any mishap that does not involve blood is OK to wear on zoom as a badge of sacrifice to the greater good. Most everyone will relate. Hair grows back, apparently. A great time to experiment, I say.

...Any mishap that does not involve blood is OK to wear on zoom as a badge of sacrifice to the greater good. Most everyone will relate. Hair grows back, apparently. A great time to experiment, I say.
The backstory on why I'm gunshy: when my son was 7, I gave him a disastrous haircut during a bath. He didn't let me forget it for at least 20 years (I didn't realize that hair seems longer when it's wet).

The backstory on why I'm gunshy: when my son was 7, I gave him a disastrous haircut during a bath. He didn't let me forget it for at least 20 years (I didn't realize that hair seems longer when it's wet).

It depends on the type of hair and how it's normally worn.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/hair/a13624/dry-hair-cut/

https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/news/a16620/wet-versus-dry-hair-cut/

Those with dyed hair before COVID -19 and cannot go their hair dresser, are now showing the tell-tales of their true colors... ???