What is Essential and What Is Not

Epigonos
This topic is 1453 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Addiction is a fascinating thing. I just returned from my daily three to five mile walk. Quite near my condo is a new Starbucks with a fancy drive thru. Cars are currently lined up for two blocks and at times, the wait, can be as long as one hour – now that is addiction. I find it highly interesting that so many people refuse to or are unable to make coffee at home. Maybe they simply can’t live without their cappuccino, latte, or fufu drink. Frankly I have always disliked Starbucks coffee intensely; too strong and too bitter for me.

Addiction is a fascinating thing. I just returned from my daily three to five mile walk. Quite near my condo is a new Starbucks with a fancy drive thru. Cars are currently lined up for two blocks and at times, the wait, can be as long as one hour – now that is addiction. I find it highly interesting that so many people refuse to or are unable to make coffee at home. Maybe they simply can’t live without their cappuccino, latte, or fufu drink. Frankly I have always disliked Starbucks coffee intensely; too strong and too bitter for me.

I live fairly close to a Starbucks in Philadelphia (near the Rocky statue). Yes, the coffee is wonderful, but it is also a meeting place, especially on weekdays.

And you don't need to order complicated coffee drinks, just order regular black coffee.

I guess I’m lucky. I don’t smoke pot, I don’t drink coffee, I don’t eat frozen food, all I want is a friggin’ haircut!!!!

all regular Starbuck's(es) in my city are entirely closed and have been for a month or so......but those contract ones in grocery stores are open.....I went in to one and asked the staff person why even the drive-thrus are closed....she said one of the employees at one got covid-19 and it was decided that all employees would get a month off with full pay.......I didn't ask for further clarification, but this hard-working contract employee's tone spoke volumes.......

I agree with @Epigonos that their regular coffee is horrible (bitter)....and their lattes are weak even with an extra shot......I prefer the local indies and only go to Starbux as a last resort or when traveling and I'm unfamiliar with a city......

Edited by azdr0710

Laziness is likely part of the reason Starbucks addicts don't make it at home. As a Starbucks addict myself (don't judge me), a bigger reason (jmo) is that coffee made at home doesn't taste the same at home as the coffee brewed in stores, even if you use Starbucks beans. Yes, it's a lot more expensive going to Starbucks every day, but if you need your fix & it has to taste just right, then you gotta cough up the $$.

I agree with @azdr0710 that their lattes & cappuccinos are too diluted. Their milk-to-espresso ratio is way off. My standard drink is a quad espresso, and if I get a latte, I get the tall with four shots - standard is just one shot. Just a single shot in a 12-oz drink? Please, that's like a bucket in the Atlantic.

I have worked at two different high volume licensed Starbucks in the past. I agree their regular coffee (medium blend Pikes place) sucks.

It can be interesting experimenting with different blends they have 'in season' or if it's a reserve store they will have a variety of blends and will be more than happy to brew from French press which is way better than the typical commercial way that's used to brew coffee. My drink if I stop by is a grande soy white chocolate mocha extra shot so 3, with whipped cream. Every espresso drink needs at least one extra shot. And those machines get out of calibration very easily or need a cleaning cycle done with cleaning tablets run through every shift. That cleaning cycle can by bypassed for a good amount of time before it makes you, and doing so can start messing with the calibration big time.

I got hooked on Peet’s years ago. Starbuck’s.... good try but no cigar. And a coffee snob thing that’s actually true: Do you buy your Starbuck’s coffee pre-ground? Don’t grind the beans until just before you put the coffee in the filter. The water makes a difference. Eau de la ville just doesn’t always do so well.

Edited by BgMstr4u

I “recently” took an 8oz bag of sbux Jamaican Blue Mountain whole beans ( one of that week’s Special Reserve / Small Lot offerings)

off the shelf....when the barista / cashier was ringing up my purchases......$ 36.00 for the JBM.....at that price, I removed that small bag & declined to purchase......5 or 10 seconds later I reconsidered & put the bag back on the counter to be included in the purchase.....tasty java but still too pricey for that purchase to have made any sense.

Also, generally an early riser here.....I’m often at Sbux for a doppio ( double espresso) at their 4am opening time.....I’m never the only one there at that early morning time.....(& yeah....their pricey $5-10k machine makes a much better brew than my at-home setup)

I got hooked on Peet’s years ago. Starbuck’s.... good try but no cigar. And a coffee snob thing that’s actually true: Do you buy your Starbuck’s coffee pre-ground? Don’t grind the beans until just before you put the coffee in the filter. The water makes a difference. Eau de la ville just doesn’t always do so well.

Well I know I’m an oddball....but I buy green coffee beans from all over the world and roast them myself about twice a week, then grind roasted beans per cup, and use a pour over filter cup by cup. Might be one of the few food-crazy things I do that actually saves money after amortizing the cost of the roaster. I rarely pay more than $6-7/pound for my green beans.

That's dedication!

I just push the button on my Keurig

Well I know I’m an oddball....but I buy green coffee beans from all over the world and roast them myself about twice a week, then grind roasted beans per cup, and use a pour over filter cup by cup. Might be one of the few food-crazy things I do that actually saves money after amortizing the cost of the roaster. I rarely pay more than $6-7/pound for my green beans.

I grew up in a house with coffee in the pot from morning till the evening. Us kids all have our differences in taste, and consumption. I used to drink it all day long. Just plain black, didn’t care what brand. Now, a couple of cups of Kirkland fine ground Colombian made in my Cuisinart coffee maker, with some Fairlife lactose free, fat free milk in the morning gets me through the day.

I’m an oddball....grind roasted beans per cup, and use a pour over filter cup by cup

No @MikeBiDude you are not odd; you are discerning.

I do the same, usually using Brazilian beans, and we drink our morning coffee from handmade Japanese coffee mugs. A pour-over is easy, great value and truly brings out the full flavor of the coffee.

My boyfriend refers to the time I spend silently making our coffees as my Zen time and knows not to interrupt me.

I actually thought about doing that for a while because I was going through coffee so fast (1 pound every 9 days). But a friend had warned me that roasting coffee makes awful, acrid odor that I didn't have ventilation for in my condo. Is it true about the odor? If so, how do you deal with it?

I agree. Hate Starfucks. The only time I’ve been to one in the past ten years was when I was in Brasov, Romania in 2018 and it was the only thing open at 7 am. It was actually superior to any I ever found in the US.

Laziness is likely part of the reason Starbucks addicts don't make it at home. As a Starbucks addict myself (don't judge me), a bigger reason (jmo) is that coffee made at home doesn't taste the same at home as the coffee brewed in stores, even if you use Starbucks beans. Yes, it's a lot more expensive going to Starbucks every day, but if you need your fix & it has to taste just right, then you gotta cough up the $$.

I agree with @azdr0710 that their lattes & cappuccinos are too diluted. Their milk-to-espresso ratio is way off. My standard drink is a quad espresso, and if I get a latte, I get the tall with four shots - standard is just one shot. Just a single shot in a 12-oz drink? Please, that's like a bucket in the Atlantic.

I disagree. I make great coffee at home and always use Organic Valley heavy whipping cream. I live in a neighborhood with superb indie coffee places, so I occasionally grab a latte, which takes them ten minutes to craft.

I actually thought about doing that for a while because I was going through coffee so fast (1 pound every 9 days). But a friend had warned me that roasting coffee makes awful, acrid odor that I didn't have ventilation for in my condo. Is it true about the odor? If so, how do you deal with it?

Yes it’s strong and quite smokey at the end of the roast...there are a few that enjoy the smell of roasting coffee beans. I do not. I have a high power hood over my range and would place my Behmor Roaster under that...but it’s not enough. I roast outside now. I know that’s a limitation for some.

Masks are essential.

Found a AAA deal at Newegg many people have had good luck with. Limit 1. 50 masks shipped in 2 days 1st class in US for $29 shipped. It says backordered but after I placed the order a woman phoned me an hour later to verify correct apt number at my address and said they were coming from Newegg 1st class shipped today. Best bargain I've seen for same day US ship from a big company. You're not charged until it's shipped. These are by far the most comfortable masks, although they don't last many uses.

https://www.newegg.com/lemi-fn32-001-face-mask/p/N82E16887879010?Item=N82E16887879010&cm_mmc=snc-facebook-_-sr-_-orc-_-na&fbclid=IwAR0209fCE9bukQlgPmtBwIg3rG5vOgR6KXiGyGwz5Wbg7p0RxTLFaY8JodE

87-879-010-Z09.jpg