What is Essential and What Is Not

Epigonos
This topic is 1453 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Very interesting point about the alcohol dependence / withdrawals (which can be life threatening) - didn’t come to mind immediately but it makes total sense

Interesting that since the CoVid pandemic, we have seen a drop in alcohol related admissions to the hospital to almost nil. Usually there would be two to three a day. About 13% of the people in the US have alcohol related problems. So staying home and drinking or not drinking seems to be keeping people out of the hospital. If they are drinking at home, they usually do not get seen, they pass out and wake up and start drinking again so withdrawal is not the problem. Alcohol induced pancreatitis and other toxicities not related to withdrawal are still a problem but those patients have not been showing up. Also people are not going to bars so alcohol consumption on a social basis is probably way down. I would guess police calls about street fights and public intoxication are way down as well.

In addition, our usual cadre of drug seeking patients are way down. In order to get to be seen in the ER they have to go through a screening area in a tent outside the ER. Then they need to risk coming into a ER filled with Covid patients. They may be drug seekers but there are apparently barriers they will not climb to feed the habit.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Masks are essential.

Found a AAA deal at Newegg many people have had good luck with. Limit 1. 50 masks shipped in 2 days 1st class in US for $29 shipped. It says backordered but after I placed the order a woman phoned me an hour later to verify correct apt number at my address and said they were coming from Newegg 1st class shipped today. Best bargain I've seen for same day US ship from a big company. You're not charged until it's shipped. These are by far the most comfortable masks, although they don't last many uses.

https://www.newegg.com/lemi-fn32-001-face-mask/p/N82E16887879010?Item=N82E16887879010&cm_mmc=snc-facebook-_-sr-_-orc-_-na&fbclid=IwAR0209fCE9bukQlgPmtBwIg3rG5vOgR6KXiGyGwz5Wbg7p0RxTLFaY8JodE

87-879-010-Z09.jpg

I got this exact item from Newegg. Arrived on Saturday, I believe.

I got this exact item from Newegg. Arrived on Saturday, I believe.

How long did it take from ordering? Almost every other source is either outrageously expensive or a con-job, (often both) I've gotten scammed on 6 orders of these from China and friends have paid $65 for US fast-ship ones like this.

Interesting that since the CoVid pandemic, we have seen a drop in alcohol related admissions to the hospital to almost nil. Usually there would be two to three a day. About 13% of the people in the US have alcohol related problems. So staying home and drinking or not drinking seems to be keeping people out of the hospital. If they are drinking at home, they usually do not get seen, they pass out and wake up and start drinking again so withdrawal is not the problem. Alcohol induced pancreatitis and other toxicities not related to withdrawal are still a problem but those patients have not been showing up. Also people are not going to bars so alcohol consumption on a social basis is probably way down. I would guess police calls about street fights and public intoxication are way down as well.

In addition, our usual cadre of drug seeking patients are way down. In order to get to be seen in the ER they have to go through a screening area in a tent outside the ER. Then they need to risk coming into a ER filled with Covid patients. They may be drug seekers but there are apparently barriers they will not climb to feed the habit.

What I find weird is people are not going to hospitals with heart attacks anymore.

How long did it take from ordering? Almost every other source is either outrageously expensive or a con-job, (often both) I've gotten scammed on 6 orders of these from China and friends have paid $65 for US fast-ship ones like this.

I placed the order on Tuesday morning, April 14 and it arrived on Saturday the 18th. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for two orders (via eBay and Amazon) placed earlier that I suspect are never going to arrive from China.

Re: masks I have two orders that are supposed to arrive this weekend from Amazon. Crossing my fingers that there is no hiccups.

Going to keep the Newegg link as a fall back

Thanks @tassojunior and @Spursy

Check the tracking # on Amazon with USPS tracking and you'll find it's probably a fake number. Also check feedback and plenty will say it's a scam. Many of us have been lulled into the fake Chinese mask deals on Amazon lately.

Re: masks I have two orders that are supposed to arrive this weekend from Amazon. Crossing my fingers that there is no hiccups.

Going to keep the Newegg link as a fall back

Thanks @tassojunior and @Spursy

Also, Los Angeles Apparel (losangelesapparel.net) is selling a three-pack of reusable cloth masks for $30 plus $5 shipping. They have a variety of colors and patterns. I received that order (from LA to me in the Midwest) in four days or less.

Check the tracking # on Amazon with USPS tracking and you'll find it's probably a fake number. Also check feedback and plenty will say it's a scam. Many of us have been lulled into the fake Chinese mask deals on Amazon lately.

Thanks for that tip! The one of the two that I suspected to be fake or not come, the tracking number does not check out and the page disappeared. One other one I just ordered yesterday so no tracking number yet

@Spursy I have an order for cloth ones that is 2 weeks out...a math equation print one and a blow job print one?

Interesting that since the CoVid pandemic, we have seen a drop in alcohol related admissions to the hospital to almost nil.

What I find weird is people are not going to hospitals with heart attacks anymore.

My condo building is at a busy intersection directly down the road, a few miles. from a trauma center, where the earliest cases of Covid were diagnosed in Illinois. When I moved here 15 years ago, I was glad it was not on a bus route, so I thought less noise, and smell from the buses. What I never anticipated, were the constant sounds of EMS/Ambulance sirens to get through the intersection on the way to the hospital. Easily a couple times a day, if not more. It got to the point that it was so frequent, i began not to notice unless the windows were wide open.

Not until I read these posts, did I realize, the sounds of sirens have diminished substantially.

Are people really that afraid to seek emergency care for conditions other than Covid?

Are people really that afraid to seek emergency care for conditions other than Covid?

Yes. Why the conspiracists were saying emergency rooms were too empty for it not to be a hoax.

I'm in Kaiser and when I go to the normally-crowded medical center it's empty and you could hear a pin drop.

Hospitals are being financially decimated. With the elimination of elective surgery and all other surgeries except emergency ones they are losing huge amounts of money. Entire wings of some hospitals are empty. Unless the federal and or state governments provide some type of bailout many will end up in bankruptcy. In order to help here in California, the ban on elective surgeries has been lifted. I have just learned that I am, at last, able to schedule hand surgery to eliminate a problem from a severe trigger finger.

Edited by Epigonos

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to keep my sense of humor during this pandemic but it is proving more and more difficult with each passing day. Please take what I'm about to write with a VERY large grain of salt.

Each of us living in different parts of country likely have local candy stores or bands that are damned near sacred cows. Here in Southern California it is Sees Candy which some time ago was bought out by Warren Buffet. Beautifully decorated Sees Candy Easter Eggs are a big deal here. My family has exchanged them since I was a kid -- I'll be 80 in October. Now what I want to know is why are liquor stores essential but Sees Candy stores are not.

Epigonos, consider yourself lucky. While I am familiar with See's candies (they are excellent!), in PA the state controlled liquor stores are all closed. We can buy some wines in a handful of grocery stores but no hard liquor.

Cue the tiny violins: One of the world’s richest men has lost billions because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. investment firm posted a quarterly net loss of $50 billion Saturday and reported that a number of its 90 operating businesses have been “severely affected,”according to Reuters.

Berkshire saw two of its biggest businesses take particularly hard hits.

BNSF Railway, North America’s largest freight railroad network, saw shipping volumes of consumer products and coal plummet, while insurance giant Geico set aside money for car premiums it probably won’t collect.

The smaller operations cut salaries and furloughed workers, and retailers such as See’s Candies and Nebraska Furniture Mart closed stores.

Berkshire reported buying a net $1.8 billion of stocks in the first quarter but selling a net $6.1 billion in April. The investment firm repurchased $1.7 billion of its own stock in the first quarter, but that was less than the prior quarter.

The pandemic also has forced Buffett to cancel “Woodstock for Capitalists,” a weekend festival that normally draws tens of thousands of people to Omaha.