Any good Netflix watches?

On 7/22/2022 at 9:19 PM, BtmBearDad said:

I’d also recommend any of the series based on Harlan Coben’s books, “Doctor Foster”, “Paranoid”, “The Puppet Master”, “Young Wallender”, “Sophie”, “The Ripper” among others. 

Did you see The Innocent?  I mentioned it upthread, a Spanish series based on one of Coben's books.  It was so good that I became a total Coben fanboy and added some other Coben-based series to my (ridiculously long) watch list.  Coben's deal with Netflix is to adapt 14 of his books.  A number are already available, others in progress.

I just finished El Marginal, a kidnapping tale in which a judge sends an ex-cop to rescue his daughter held (believe it or not) inside a men's prison.  One man against a hopelessly corrupt system, sadistic guards, and ruthless prison gangs -- the protagonist faces one hell of an uphill battle.  Thanks to a great script and brilliant acting, El Marginal hooks you in from the start, but the show's brutality makes it tough to take at times.  It's definitely worth watching, just don't expect a warm-fuzzy after every episode. 

Audio is only in original Spanish, but English subtitles available.  I saw it with Spanish subtitles because I missed too much of what the prisoners were saying.  The characters outside the prison were easy enough to follow, but the inmates' dialogue was like a crash course in the most impolite Argentine slang.  43 50-minute episodes, yet I binged it in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, MscleLovr said:

I don’t question your judgement @BSR but you do realise that is almost 36 hours that you’ll never get back…😉

I didn't do the math, but now that I realize I spent 36 hours watching one series, yikes!  Oh well, I never watch TV or movies in English, only in Spanish (my second language).  I know I spend way too much time watching Netflix, but I rationalize it by telling myself I'm improving my Spanish.  Mind you, I doubt I'll ever need to know all the Argentine prison slang I learned while watching El marginal, but that's another issue.

11 minutes ago, BSR said:

I doubt I'll ever need to know all the Argentine prison slang I learned

I fervently hope you’ll never need it 😋 But are you sure it’s “prison slang”?

It might well be ‘Lunfardo’ (or ‘Lunfa’), the dialect that’s a mix of languages. I’ve heard it only once in Buenos Aires. There are some interesting and very different words in Lunfardo eg the cops = La yuta. 

Edited by MscleLovr

Binged Uncoupled, the new gay sort of a version of Sex and the City by Darren Star with Neil Patrick Harris. It grew on me as the characters became a tad more defined. Great to see Marcia Gay Harden again. No lack of eye candy scenes. Also fun seeing the primary apartment setting in Gramercy where friends of mine have lived for 3 generations now.  Their rent-controlled apt has little resemblance to the plush digs you see in the show but the layout is identical. Can’t imagine there not being a second season.

Thought it was relatively enjoyable trash tv. Some good moments. Felt like a guilty pleasure. I did enjoy the love letter to NYC. Definitely a gay sex and the city. But at least, unlike the sex and the city reboot, this show didn't feel compelled to stuff each episode with every single woke crusade du jour. It just is what it is - a nice piece of fluff.

Guest MikeThomas

Binging uncoupled, not because it’s good, but because I need to see what happens next. In one episode, NPH is going to get fucked by a guy with an obviously big schlong, and the guy proposes to use an anal paralytic on NPH’s rectum. I’ve never heard of this before. Is this a real thing?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 10:44 PM, tassojunior said:

Surprised there's no mention of The Squid Game. I was surprised I like it so much. Very Korean murder/comedy with a lot of soul-searching on the human condition, greed and poverty.  

Squid Game:  I'm late on watching this one, but started it last night.  

It's entertaining, gory and just a little zany.  I'm enjoying it 👍

• 2 months later...

1899 sucked me into its mystery box after only 1 episode, and I quickly binged it. A little surprising, since I snoozed through the 1st season of Dark (same producers) and never saw the appeal. But 1899 is dark, slow to some, and a little cerebral, so not sure how widespread the appeal will be. I liked the characters, the setting, the abundance of mysteries, and very civilized online fan community trying to decipher all the puzzles.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:55 PM, AceHardware said:

1899 sucked me into its mystery box after only 1 episode, and I quickly binged it. A little surprising, since I snoozed through the 1st season of Dark (same producers) and never saw the appeal. But 1899 is dark, slow to some, and a little cerebral, so not sure how widespread the appeal will be. I liked the characters, the setting, the abundance of mysteries, and very civilized online fan community trying to decipher all the puzzles.

Started it last night, 4 episodes watched. Yes a bit slow, but fascinating. Agree it might not have widespread appeal.

I loved “Dark”.

Netflix debuted a gay romantic comedy series today, Smiley, and yes, I binged it all in 1 day.  Hey, when a series is good enough, sometimes you just can't stop.

Alex is a 32yo bartender in a gay bar who works out like it's religion yet complains that his (myriad) hookups never take him seriously.  Bruno is a buttoned-up architect who is 36yo but lives the life of a 60yo, and a rather dull 60yo at that.  When they meet by means of a voicemail mixup (too long to explain), the attraction makes them both weak in the knees even though they're totally wrong for each other.

Before you roll your eyes too much, yes, we've seen this story a zillion times before, but Smiley does put its own very clever and hilarious twists on the oft-used premise.  I'm really picky about comedies because most make me groan, very few make me laugh, but Smiley had me busting a belly laugh more than a few times.  We also get to see the ups & downs of Alex's biological family, his adopted family (his 2 coworkers Vero & Javi), and Bruno's adopted family (his best friend Albert).  Plus we get a couple of "right" boyfriends for our so-very-wrong-for-each-other duo:  Bruno starts dating Ramon, the best architect in his office, while Alex hooks up with the equally gorgeous and sculpted Ibra.

The comic chemistry between Carlos Cuevas (Alex) and Miki Esparbe (Bruno) is perfection.  I never really bought the sexual chemistry between the two, but maybe that's asking for too much.  As long as the two kept me laughing, I was happy.  All the other storylines are well-done and woven together quite skillfully.

8 35-minute episodes, mostly in Spanish with some scenes in Catalan.  If you can stand dubbing, i checked out a couple of scenes, and the English dubbing for Smiley is actually really good.  English subtitles are also available.  2 user reviews already on IMDb, a 9 & a 10.  I'd give Smiley a 10.

On 12/8/2022 at 4:33 AM, BSR said:

Netflix debuted a gay romantic comedy series today, Smiley, and yes, I binged it all in 1 day.  Hey, when a series is good enough, sometimes you just can't stop.

Alex is a 32yo bartender in a gay bar who works out like it's religion yet complains that his (myriad) hookups never take him seriously.  Bruno is a buttoned-up architect who is 36yo but lives the life of a 60yo, and a rather dull 60yo at that.  When they meet by means of a voicemail mixup (too long to explain), the attraction makes them both weak in the knees even though they're totally wrong for each other.

Before you roll your eyes too much, yes, we've seen this story a zillion times before, but Smiley does put its own very clever and hilarious twists on the oft-used premise.  I'm really picky about comedies because most make me groan, very few make me laugh, but Smiley had me busting a belly laugh more than a few times.  We also get to see the ups & downs of Alex's biological family, his adopted family (his 2 coworkers Vero & Javi), and Bruno's adopted family (his best friend Albert).  Plus we get a couple of "right" boyfriends for our so-very-wrong-for-each-other duo:  Bruno starts dating Ramon, the best architect in his office, while Alex hooks up with the equally gorgeous and sculpted Ibra.

The comic chemistry between Carlos Cuevas (Alex) and Miki Esparbe (Bruno) is perfection.  I never really bought the sexual chemistry between the two, but maybe that's asking for too much.  As long as the two kept me laughing, I was happy.  All the other storylines are well-done and woven together quite skillfully.

8 35-minute episodes, mostly in Spanish with some scenes in Catalan.  If you can stand dubbing, i checked out a couple of scenes, and the English dubbing for Smiley is actually really good.  English subtitles are also available.  2 user reviews already on IMDb, a 9 & a 10.  I'd give Smiley a 10.

I was bored with the series for the 1st 3 episodes but balling like a baby in the end.  I’d recommend.