Scottsdale AZ

Reisr30
This topic is 1514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I get older I am looking for a place to live that is warmer. I have been thinking about Florida and Texas but someone suggested I look at Scottsdale AZ.

It will probably be a couple of more years but curious what people think of Scottsdale.

There have been a few discussion threads on where to retire. This is one of them:

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/close-to-50yo-where-to-retire.154106/#post-1828043

I've lived in or been connected to the Scottsdale area since age 12......no daylight saving time observed!!!

it's just a very large suburb of Phoenix, but, of course, has the upscale vibe and reputation......very clean feeling, sensible zoning laws, well-maintained streets, and some walkable neighborhoods (usually near downtown Scotts)......much of the vast northern reaches of Scotts (developed in only the last 20-30 years) is little more than subdivision after subdivision, strip mall after strip mall, with little soul (albeit usually upscale) and a hop in the car required for any little errand......but the higher-priced homes in north Scotts ($3 million and up) on larger lots (an acre and up) are certainly attractive and desirable....lots of golf courses, tennis, resort atmosphere all over.......and lots of fast traffic and self-important drivers in the winter and even the summer......

the dry air is the clincher for me......such a plus......except in July and August (the humid summer rainy period low 90 high 105), the outside is usually spectacular.....wide swing in day/night temperatures because of that low humidity......three or four periods of cold and rain every winter for a couple days each (low 30 high 50 at the worst in those days) with fireplaces in full use......usually low 40 high 70 in the winter........May and June are the hottest and driest (low 70 high 110).....AC drones on all summer day and night......

you'll need to be ready for low density and the desert atmosphere.....few trees, wide-open views, a somewhat "brown" tone to everything including the buildings.....there are areas of highly-irrigated grass and artificial lakes, but that is increasingly considered extravagant and inappropriate.......

formerly one of the legendary great spots of the world for lung and asthma concerns, the entire region is now one of the worst for that because of the proliferation of non-native plants and vegetation (planted by homesick midwesterners over the years, so the legend goes).....

I'd concentrate on a spot near downtown Scottsdale (charmingly called Old Town by the visitors bureau) because of the walkable nature and great array of businesses to choose from all close by.....some older 50s-era neighborhoods here, newer upscale condos and a few condo towers (up to about twelve stories), apartments, time-shares, the whole bit....and quick-paced traffic in the winter.......

as expected, real estate prices are among the highest in the state....only neighboring Town Of Paradise Valley (zip 85253) is higher (much higher)......

what are you main concerns and preferences as you near retirement???

Edited by azdr0710

if you're looking for a smaller, more liberal environment, consider Tucson (no, I am not employed by the Chamber of Commerce!) I have found it to be a warm and welcoming community.

I hadn’t thought of Tucson. I’m fairly liberal so that sounds quite interesting to me. Thank you. Is it a fairly safe city? How is the healthcare and cultural activities?

@azdr0710 thank you for the very detailed response. It’s super helpful. My main concerns would be safety, access to good healthcare (noticed there is a satellite location of the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale) and a place where I have access to cultural activities (e.g. cinema, galleries/museums, good restaurants and pubs). I don’t golf (maybe I will pick that up) but play tennis and like to exercise.

My party days (e.g. bar scene not drugs) were over in my 30s lol so lead a quieter life. I do suffer from serious allergies so your comment about non indigenous plants was interesting to me. Quite liberal here but not outspoken regarding my politics and quite tolerant regarding other people’s views except fascists/racists, etc.

one of my best friends lives there, actually right over the line in Paradise Valley. His area is walkable and is filled with those charming mid-century ranchers with decent lots and the iconic 6x6 paned picture windows. Another favorite district is Arcadia, the hipster area. Organic juice bars, 4th generation coffeee places, and lots of fit, attractive residents. While not a Camelback fan (too many tourists) Squaw Peak is a great hike. There are also miles of bike trails along the canals and down by Papago. I agree that the air quality isn’t all that great. In the summer, a three hour drive takes you to Flagstaff and high altitude, cooler summers and fantastic mountain hiking. I considered buying a condo there a few years back, but with two places already, I didn’t need or want a third. Of course, now I can barely afford the two!

if you're looking for a smaller, more liberal environment, consider Tucson (no, I am not employed by the Chamber of Commerce!) I have found it to be a warm and welcoming community.

I have been looking at Tucson as a relocation possibility. I love the desert, love Mexican culture and food, love the Spanish language. The prices of condos are very reasonable. Two questions.

Co-op apartments and townhouses seem to be a big thing. Super low prices, a bit retro in design but that can be nice. What’s the take on co-ops in general?

What is gay life like there? The U. Of AZ has its main campus, so I’m guessing there’s the usual array of academic gayness. With a large retirement contingent (I assume) and a large student population, is there much mixing? Is it anything like Palm Springs?

It's pretty 'artificial' but I absolutely love the walkable community area in DC Ranch (the sports bar has excellent food and a fantastic assortment of whiskey); my dad used to have a second home there before the '08 crash. Was just this January (it seems like a lifetime ago) staying nearby and it's the only snobby place I'd ever consider actually living.

@azdr0710 thank you for the very detailed response. It’s super helpful. My main concerns would be safety, access to good healthcare (noticed there is a satellite location of the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale) ...

FYI, that satellite of the Mayo Clinic is in far Northeast Scottsdale, about 15 miles away from the walkable, restuarant- and gallery-laden section called Old Town Scottsdale.

...and a place where I have access to cultural activities (e.g. cinema, galleries/museums, good restaurants and pubs). I don’t golf (maybe I will pick that up) but play tennis and like to exercise. ...My party days (e.g. bar scene not drugs) were over in my 30s lol so lead a quieter life. Quite liberal here but not outspoken regarding my politics and quite tolerant regarding other people’s views except fascists/racists, etc.

You might want to think twice about Scottsdale and think about Central Phoenix. If you lived in downtown Phoenix, you could walk to cinemas, the art museum, opera, several live theaters, and everyday shopping. You would be equidistant from two medical centers and the currently under construction Creighton University medical school. Phoenix is an island of liberalism compared to Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills.

...I do suffer from serious allergies so your comment about non indigenous plants was interesting to me....

Metro Phoenix has terrible air pollution that rivals Los Angeles and Chicago. If you have allergies, you will become familiar with the local pharmacist. You will be visiting them every couple of weeks when you buy your Claritin-D.

FYI, that satellite of the Mayo Clinic is in far Northeast Scottsdale, about 15 miles away from the walkable, restuarant- and gallery-laden section called Old Town Scottsdale.

You might want to think twice about Scottsdale and think about Central Phoenix. If you lived in downtown Phoenix, you could walk to cinemas, the art museum, opera, several live theaters, and everyday shopping. You would be equidistant from two medical centers and the currently under construction Creighton University medical school. Phoenix is an island of liberalism compared to Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills.

Metro Phoenix has terrible air pollution that rivals Los Angeles and Chicago. If you have allergies, you will become familiar with the local pharmacist. You will be visiting them every couple of weeks when you buy your Claritin-D.

Well there goes my idea of Scottsdale as a potential retirement spot ;)

@azdr0710 thank you for the very detailed response. It’s super helpful. My main concerns would be safety, access to good healthcare (noticed there is a satellite location of the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale) and a place where I have access to cultural activities (e.g. cinema, galleries/museums, good restaurants and pubs). I don’t golf (maybe I will pick that up) but play tennis and like to exercise.

My party days (e.g. bar scene not drugs) were over in my 30s lol so lead a quieter life. I do suffer from serious allergies so your comment about non indigenous plants was interesting to me. Quite liberal here but not outspoken regarding my politics and quite tolerant regarding other people’s views except fascists/racists, etc.

Since you are from the Garden State, as am I, you probably suffer from the same kind of seasonal allergies there that I did. I moved to the southwest expecting to escape those allergies, only to discover that I am equally allergic to many other things that bloom in the desert suburbs. How was I to know that my allergic reaction to olive trees is off the chart? You might want to make a temporary move to AZ in the spring to test it.

Since you are from the Garden State, as am I, you probably suffer from the same kind of seasonal allergies there that I did. I moved to the southwest expecting to escape those allergies, only to discover that I am equally allergic to many other things that bloom in the desert suburbs. How was I to know that my allergic reaction to olive trees is off the chart? You might want to make a temporary move to AZ in the spring to test it.

Great suggestion! Thank you.

Great suggestion! Thank you.

If time permits and your budget allows, you may want to spend a few weeks at a time at various times of the year so you have a better idea of seasonal differences. If you have a vehicle, maybe do a bit of a road trip each time to see if any other Southwest towns and cities strike you as possibilities...

If time permits and your budget allows, you may want to spend a few weeks at a time at various times of the year so you have a better idea of seasonal differences. If you have a vehicle, maybe do a bit of a road trip each time to see if any other Southwest towns and cities strike you as possibilities...

Yes and similar to Charlie’s suggestion; i think that’s a great idea. I was thinking about something like that. Maybe get an Airbnb for 6 months (April - Nov); wonder if that would give me an idea of what it would be like to live there full time.

I have been looking at Tucson as a relocation possibility. I love the desert, love Mexican culture and food, love the Spanish language. Is it anything like Palm Springs?

Not the same. I’ve been touring Arizona and Palm Springs for years. Mostly Arizona. Despite them both being desert communities, they’re different. You can’t do in Tucson, what you can do in Palm Springs. The gay resorts, etc. It’s also less expensive in Tucson.

Climate/Geography wise, Palm Springs can be similar...but one of my resident Phoenix friends says Palm Springs has a more refreshing nighttime feel than Phoenix. All the cities in the mountain west are the same difference, so to speak. Las Vegas isn’t Palm Springs, Palm Springs isn’t Phoenix.

That said, Scottsdale is unique in that it’s a bit on a higher elevation than Phoenix, so you get more of the Saguaro Cactus ? growing in that area. Makes for a nice, upscale rustic feel. On my last visit to the area in October-November, I felt more at home in Tucson...whereas Phoenix seems to have become a suburb of LA (similar to how some say Milwaukee is a “suburb” of Chicago).

Phoenix and Las Vegas are big cities, Palm Springs is not (longtime residents still refer to it as a "village"); Tucson is somewhere in between, an urban area in the desert, but without the huge suburbs.

A late friend of mine grew up in Scottsdale, lived much of her adulthood in Orange county, and spent her retirement in Palm Springs. She went back to Scottsdale once every year for a nostalgic visit, but said she wouldn't want to go back there to live because it had become too much like Orange county.

Phoenix and Las Vegas are big cities, Palm Springs is not (longtime residents still refer to it as a "village"); Tucson is somewhere in between, an urban area in the desert, but without the huge suburbs.

A late friend of mine grew up in Scottsdale, lived much of her adulthood in Orange county, and spent her retirement in Palm Springs. She went back to Scottsdale once every year for a nostalgic visit, but said she wouldn't want to go back there to live because it had become too much like Orange county.

Is there a housewives scene lol

Yes, but Orange County without the beach?.

I have been looking at Tucson as a relocation possibility. I love the desert, love Mexican culture and food, love the Spanish language. The prices of condos are very reasonable. Two questions.

Co-op apartments and townhouses seem to be a big thing. Super low prices, a bit retro in design but that can be nice. What’s the take on co-ops in general?

What is gay life like there? The U. Of AZ has its main campus, so I’m guessing there’s the usual array of academic gayness. With a large retirement contingent (I assume) and a large student population, is there much mixing? Is it anything like Palm Springs?

yes, there are a few co-op areas in Tucson with unusually low prices .....be aware of HOA dues and special assessments, though, and what a co-op means.....they are not nearly as standard as in Manhattan, for example......of course, best to connect with a local realtor who knows the deal on these.....

though there are a million people in the metro region, Tucson still has a small-town feel and absolutely no obvious "gayborhood".....the UA is not particularly a liberal school, but the region around it and toward downtown a mile or two away is an older, very tolerant, highly-mixed area.....there's a hippy shopping area (4th Ave) in this area and the usual student hangouts and funky businesses....one or two low-key gay or lesbian bars here and there......the city itself is entirely unpretentious and not known for wealth or flash......it's nothing like Palm Springs, which has a more resort-y/wealthy/newer/slightly-more-retirement/much smaller feel to it......

the outer "suburbs" of Tucson are, of course, newer and more typically city-like.....strip malls, subdivisions, traffic, construction, sprawl.....there are a few quietly wealthy neighborhoods in town and on the edges, but the city does not appear to be utterly prosperous......and the residents sorta like it that way.....

Edited by azdr0710

All this is making me think about going out west again lol. It'll be interesting to see how some cities may change. Phoenix may become a little more homey, if California starts becoming more affordable. I know places like California, Arizona, Nevada and Florida are particularly sensitive to recessions. But last time I was in Phoenix and Tucson, both places fully recovered and growing nicely.

Even though the middle of the country can feel kinda ho hum at times, I like being able to be in eastern or mountain time with just a day drive. Which gives close access to a handful of workable cities. Whereas trying to travel east out of California or Phoenix can take a couple days, and the towns are small and isolated.

And yeah I was going to say palm springs is small...but I supposed when considering cathedral city and the whole valley, it could be as big as Las Vegas. However palm springs is like a small city that has the lifestyle as a Major metro. Obviously the gay scene rivals the bigger cities of Fort Lauderdale and San Francisco.

Back when I had a career about a decade ago, I interviewed for job in Tucson. I don't know/the city itself didn't impress me that much. I was wondering if I'd be able to make friends there. On the other hand while I have had good friends in the past, it always feels somewhat like a miracle when it occurs -currently I'm on such an extremely long dry spell of having friends that I won't even tell you how long it's been because it's both ridiculous and depressing. Since I do have this difficulty making friends, I always feel I need as large a city as possible (minus maybe NYC, LA, and Chicago) to give me more of a population to find friends from. And I wasn't sure Tucson was it.

Another thing-- how are you with weather? I grew up on the South Plains of Texas in a semi-arid area. Tucson is arid-arid. Tucson looks like a desert (of course they say that about my hometown too. Tucson, however is really the desert). My hometown has an annual rainfall of about 19 inches. Tucson has an annual rainfall of about 12 inches. But I'm also talking about heat. The hotel I stayed at stayed at was a parking lot away from where the interview was taking place. Now the interview was sometime in the fall. I think it was October. Here I am in a suit and tie walking -not extremely far-across the parking lot to the interview building. I think it was already 80 degrees at 9 AM. I was definitely sweaty by the time I entered the building.

(:) I was also looking at the number of escorts there. There weren't very many. I was wondering how easy it was to get them to drive from Phoenix.)

Now for a more ' normal person' who can make friends, Tucson is probably fine. And there is a stark beauty which I don't actually mind as it's similar to what I grew up with -although more extreme. Plus my views may be colored by the fact that I didn't get the job.

But the one thing I can definitely say that wouldn't have changed whether I had gotten the position or not is the heat. And while it's a dry heat-at 85 or 90 degrees in a suit, it doesn't matter. It's still hot. It was the kind of heat where the air felt warm even breathing it in. Although if two hot locations were my only choices, I might pick Tucson over some place equally hot but with humidity.

Gman

Back when I had a career about a decade ago, I interviewed for job in Tucson. I don't know/the city itself didn't impress me that much. I was wondering if I'd be able to make friends there. On the other hand while I have had good friends in the past, it always feels somewhat like a miracle when it occurs -currently I'm on such an extremely long dry spell of having friends that I won't even tell you how long it's been because it's both ridiculous and depressing. Since I do have this difficulty making friends, I always feel I need as large a city as possible (minus maybe NYC, LA, and Chicago) to give me more of a population to find friends from. And I wasn't sure Tucson was it.

Another thing-- how are you with weather? I grew up on the South Plains of Texas in a semi-arid area. Tucson is arid-arid. Tucson looks like a desert (of course they say that about my hometown too. Tucson, however is really the desert). My hometown has an annual rainfall of about 19 inches. Tucson has an annual rainfall of about 12 inches. But I'm also talking about heat. The hotel I stayed at stayed at was a parking lot away from where the interview was taking place. Now the interview was sometime in the fall. I think it was October. Here I am in a suit and tie walking -not extremely far-across the parking lot to the interview building. I think it was already 80 degrees at 9 AM. I was definitely sweaty by the time I entered the building.

:)) I was also looking at the number of escorts there. There weren't very many. I was wondering how easy it was to get them to drive from Phoenix.)

Now for a more ' normal person' who can make friends, Tucson is probably fine. And there is a stark beauty which I don't actually mind as it's similar to what I grew up with -although more extreme. Plus my views may be colored by the fact that I didn't get the job.

But the one thing I can definitely say that wouldn't have changed whether I had gotten the position or not is the heat. And while it's a dry heat-at 85 or 90 degrees in a suit, it doesn't matter. It's still hot. It was the kind of heat where the air felt warm even breathing it in. Although if two hot locations were my only choices, I might pick Tucson over some place equally hot but with humidity.

Gman

Tucson is an acquired taste for many; I liked it immediately but not everyone does; as for the summer heat--that's what San Diego is for! SD is only 6 hours away

:)) I was also looking at the number of escorts there. There weren't very many. I was wondering how easy it was to get them to drive from Phoenix.)

Gman

Tucson is an acquired taste for many; I liked it immediately but not everyone does; as for the summer heat--that's what San Diego is for! SD is only 6 hours away

I'm a fan of air conditioning, so I might have been able to tolerate the heat. It was really the population size I was worried about regarding meeting people.

Gambling

All this is making me think about going out west again lol. It'll be interesting to see how some cities may change. Phoenix may become a little more homey, if California starts becoming more affordable. I know places like California, Arizona, Nevada and Florida are particularly sensitive to recessions. But last time I was in Phoenix and Tucson, both places fully recovered and growing nicely.

Even though the middle of the country can feel kinda ho hum at times, I like being able to be in eastern or mountain time with just a day drive. Which gives close access to a handful of workable cities. Whereas trying to travel east out of California or Phoenix can take a couple days, and the towns are small and isolated.

And yeah I was going to say palm springs is small...but I supposed when considering cathedral city and the whole valley, it could be as big as Las Vegas. However palm springs is like a small city that has the lifestyle as a Major metro. Obviously the gay scene rivals the bigger cities of Fort Lauderdale and San Francisco.

The whole Coachella Valley has a smaller population than Paradise and Spring Valley, NV (never heard of either of them, didja?), a pair of suburbs of Las Vegas. The Coachella Valley, including Palm Springs, feels like a big suburb without an urban center. The Agua Caliente Casino is the tallest building in the valley by far, and is only about 15 stories. There is only one shopping mall, which contains the only big department store (Macy's) and the only bookstore. The only "international" service at the airport is to a few cities in Canada. There are three hospitals. What the valley does have in common with a city is lots of good restaurants and bars.