Dogs?

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5910 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> my peference leans to good old fashioned "mutts"

There's a lot to be said for that.

Our family pet was a mutt -- and the runt of the litter to boot. My kid sister showed up one day with a puppy in her arms and said "aren't I lucky? I got the last one!"

Still he was a loyal and loving family pet. Mom always said she hated him and I suspect Dad did a lot of talking some nights just to keep her from killing him. The day he chewed through the fiberglass garage door was not a high point. But he survived.

He developed a habit of jumping up in their bed during the day, pulling back the covers, and curling up for a snooze. Mom always said she HATED it. Nobody said a word when, as the dog aged, she bought a special stairstep thing to help him when he could no longer jump up on the bed.

:7

She had to have him put down at the age of 19. She buried him under the Peonie bush he'd stunted by peeing on it for 19 years. The next year it came back and bloomed like gangbusters.

I miss that dog and would take another like him any day.

At one time, I had seven dogs. All were rescues of one kind or another and three were likely purebred dogs though they did not come with papers. Holly was an American Eskimo Bailey a Cairn Terrier and Taylor a yellow Labrador Fred, who I started a thread about concerning euthanizing my dog was a 100 pound black as coal Chow NewFoundland mix Baxter pure white pit bull mix Sassy a beagle mix and Rusty who is the sole surviving member of the pack. I first got Holly in 1993 and Baxter was the last in 1997. The eight of us were together until Bailey passed in 2004. I live in a modest 3 bedroom home and had a dog door to the back yard area so they came and went as they pleased. With one notable exception, they lived together in peace and they welcomed each new member into the pack with a minimum amount of fuss. Bailey was the smallest and when her vision failed as a result of diabetes (twice daily insulin injections were not really a big deal) and old age, 17 when she passed, the other dogs assisted her in getting out of the house and getting out of her way.

So I am strong in support of your getting the two pups and would suggest you go down to the shelter and rescue two slightly older and trained dogs and the five of you may have as much fun and laughter as my pack did.

BTW right now I have Rusty and another rescue Ben and I am considering getting two other rescues. One dog is love and work, two dogs are twice the love and basically the same amount of work.

Guest zipperzone

>At one time, I had seven dogs.

You are very luck to live in a municipality that allows that many dogs in one household. The bylaws where I live restrict it to either 2 or 3 (not sure which).

In order for the bylaw to be enforced a neighbor would have to make a complaint - but trust me, there is always some old crank who would be on the phone in an instant. Live & let live seems to be unheard of where I live.

My last dog - Logan, a beautiful chocolate lab - was a rescue dog. He had been found, either lost or abandoned, on a highway in northern B.C. He was ill when I got him, cancer, but I didn't know it then and it would not have stopped me if I had. I had him for about 2 years until the only humane thing to do was to have him put to sleep. He was the most gentle, loving, obedient dog one could ever wish for. And as strange as this sounds, I am convinced that from the moment I brought him home, he knew he had been rescued, and was very very grateful.

Guest zipperzone

>I was not raised with dogs. When I was a kid, however, my

>mother did have a Chihuahua which was a rotten little beast.

I know what you mean. Frankly, I have never considered them to be dogs. Rodents with longer legs seems more appropriate.

Your cocker sounds devine. All pets should be so loving.

Guest zipperzone

>Anybody here ever have a Beardie? Or, even know about them?

>

>http://thebeardiespaw.com/

>

>They're fun as hell and you'll laugh at their antics forever.

>.}(

>

>But talk about a grooming nightmare. x(

I know what you mean. I used to have an Old English Sheepdog - Murphy - which presented the same problme, only bigger. I had him at the same time as my harlequin Great Dane - Cleo - who required almost no grooming at all. Cleo would sit on her haunches and watch me comb Murphy, with an expression on her face that said she thought the whole thing was ridiculous.

I own a Wolf and he is the best of all of the canine Buddies I have ever owned. My best Friend, Lisa, has for many years at any given time, had at least seven dogs... all different ages. Some the same age. They are all dogs people dumped out on the side of the road in GA and a few from the pound. A couple from rescue from Katrina. All are great companions and buddies. Her most recent Family member is what I believe to be a Borde Colley. She oringinally thought he was a husky dog. Really Smart and a total boi~

I am here right now with her in GA for a few more days and am happy to answer any specific questions you might have. Write to me directly!

I've had everything from Wolf to dog to Bobcat to fish to birds and horses and sheep~

Tyger!

tygerkink@yahoo.com

http://www.tygerscent.biz/Galleries.html

http://www.tygerscent.biz

http://www.daddysreviews.com/area.php?loc=63150&who=tyger_portland

men4rentnow.com tygerscent in Portland, Oregon

I have had wonderful mutts from a shelter, and problem mutts from a shelter; I have had wonderful purebred show dogs from a respected breeder, and problem purebred show dogs from a breeder. It's basically a crap shoot, especially with puppies. The suggestion about breed rescue groups, however, is a good one, because you can get a Collie and a Golden, and still know you are rescuing an animal that is unwanted for some reason (some are turned in by owners who can't keep them, some are actually rescued from shelters by serious lovers of the breed, etc.). An advantage is that the rescuer usually has had enough experience with the individual animal to be able to tell you something useful about its temperament. The AKC has lists of rescue groups all over the country, and you can also find others easily with a web search.

As for answers to your original question, Collies and Goldens strike me as a good combination, because they tend to have different temperaments, that might compliment one another. But try to get them at the same time, so that one hasn't already established territoriality over you and your home, and won't see the other as an intruder.

>< Every time someone purchases a dog, a discarded dog's

>chances are diminished.

>

>Huh??? Would you please try to explain that to me? x(

>

>Oops, now I think I understand your "logic." Taken

>to its "logical" conclusion, if I choose to buy a

>puppy, I am committing canine murder.

>

>Uh huh. Sure. x(

You took that the wrong way. Dog overpopulation is a huge problem; for people that actually look at dogs as living things and not as objects.

Case in point: My neighbor had a dog and decided to purchase another purebred dog. The original dog, which had been in the family for over 5 years, didn't get along with the new dog so they took their mutt to the shelter. As if it couldn't get any worse, the neighbor just mentioned to me that they are going to breed their sweet, fluffy, white, bitch. When I asked why he would do such a thing, his response was "I just want to see white, fluffy puppies".

Under no circumstance is any animal to be looked at as an object. They are living creatures and have their equal place in this dance of life here on earth.

Buying a dog from a breeder or shelter diminishes the chances for someone to make a more compassionate decision to give a discarded dog the quality of life he deserves.

Michael Vincenzo

Email: MichaelVincenzo@aol.com

Phone: 321.287.4568

Reviews: http://www.daddysreviews.com/finder.php?loc=Michael%20Vincenzo-0-1-10&who=michael_vincenzo_orlando

Men4RentNow: http://www.men4rentnow.com/ds/search.asp?cmd=view&id=175770

You know guys I get so f---ing tired of people telling me how I should live my life. My nephew tells me abortion is murder. Friends tell me I have no right to smoke in my own home because the smoke might penetrate the walls and invade my neighbors condo (by the way I don't smoke). Acquaintances tell me that consenting adults should not behave in certain ways. NOW GOD DAMNIT I'M BEING TOLD HOW AND WHERE I SHOULD OBTAIN A DOG. If some of you want to get your dog from a shelter I think that is great but please don't preach to me about what I should do. Frankly WE are the last people in the world who should be insisting that others live their lives according to our ideas of correctness.

RE: And cats?

I've been very busy lately, since Fall, perhaps? And haven't had time to go to a toy store. My nieces and nephews got some books this year, and some toys and things I had bought last Summer. And they just haven't had squirt guns in the grocery store "seasonal" department, for some reason. (heheheh) But for a while, I did have little Sasha Ann trained to know that "squirt gun" was a bad word, signalling he shouldn't do "that".

BTW, have I mentioned that the gay couple who gave Maverick and me the cat were sure that it was a girl. So, we were, too. We kept its name from them, "Sasha" and added the name of M's favorite sister, to make a real Southern lady name, "Sasha Ann". Then the vet noticed and pointed out that he is definitely a him. So, now, when we call him by his full name ("Sasha" alone is a non sex linked name, eh?), we have a handsome little boy with a real drag name! LOL

I adopted a dog this last summer when I found him abandoned in a public park in Montreal. He had been tied to the fence overnight with his tags removed. When I arrived in the morning with my newspaper, he was pointed out to me by a park employee, who said she would have to call animal control if I did not take him (she said he had been there since at least 7am when she arrived for work).

I walked him around the park and he seemed to be happy with me. He even fell asleep at my feet while I read my paper and debated with myself whether I would take him. My last dog had died 10 years ago and I had moved into a condo from a house since then and didn't think I needed a dog.

To make a long story short, I took the dog and have not regretted it for a moment. He is a highly spirited male Belgian Shepherd (Malinois). I call him Lucky. He has brought me good luck through a serious illness and is my constant companion. He loves being with me wherever I go. At my country home, he acts as guard dog, patrolling the property without my ever having asked him to, he just does it (in the genes). He barks at any intruders but keeps quiet in the early morning when I let him out and tell him to be quiet so he doesn't disturb the neighbours.

He gets along very well with other dogs and loves to wrestle with them or chase them or be chased, whatever the case. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body. If anyone is looking for a highly spirited friendly dog that socializes well, I recommend the Belgian Shepherd. :)

Guest ncm2169

< because they tend to have different temperaments

Charlie, could you elaborate on that for me?

I've had a Collie and he was by far the best dog I ever had - marvelous laidback temperament. I've never had a Goldie but I've been around lots of them - some have had a tendency to be a bit rambunctious at times, but for the most part they all seemed pretty laidback also.

A laidback Collie is somewhat unusual--they are often rather high-strung. A laidback Golden is more common. I think of Collies as New Yorkers and Goldens as Southern Californians. Both are fairly energetic, particularly when young, but Goldens are usually less emotionally dependent and less easily upset. If you had a laidback Collie, you were lucky, and I hope you find another one, because they can be a real joy. Of course, it's possible to get a neurotic Golden, too, but not likely if it comes from a good bloodline. Two Collies with strong herding instincts can be a problem, unless you have some sheep around the house, but a Golden may have a relaxing influence on a Collie.

Guest ncm2169

Hmmm. I hope and trust we're talking about "real" Collies - NOT Shelties (which tend to be SUPER hyper), Border Collies, nor Bearded Collies.

Like I said, my "real" Tri-Colored beautiful male Collie was as laid back as I could ever imagine (he lived through us raising two children from birth until they were each near their college years without any unacceptable behavior - he only "gave out" at age 12 when his hips went). He learned my obedience training like he was bred for it, and stayed in our unfenced yard on a lake without ever straying.

Oops, did I say I really loved him? -;)

Good comparison!

I've always viewed Goldens as superb dogs who never met a human they didn't like, and Collies as superb dogs who fiercely love "their" people but not so much the stranger who just came through the door.

The Collies I've known have been just a little more territorial.

Goldens always live up to their name, though. They are RETRIEVERS. They retrieve things, and not always things you'll want. Just look into those loving eyes, scratch his ears, and pitch the dead skunk he just retrieved back into the river (and then TRY to keep him from retrieving it again). ;-)

A friend has a Lab (also a retriever) who routinely retrieves her cat and deposits it in her lap. The cat always looks vaguely surprised and mildly annoyed, but then the attention starts and he settles down.

Guest ncm2169

Belgian Shepherds are GORGEOUS dogs. I have a few friends who've owned one. As noted, I've owned two German Shepherds, and I've observed that the Belgians are a bit more laid back than the Germans.

Heil Hitler!!

Oops. }(

Long Live King Albert 11. }(

Guest ncm2169

< pitch the dead skunk he just retrieved back into the river

Or, the dead fish from the lakeshore (eeeew).

< A friend has a Lab (also a retriever) who routinely retrieves her cat and deposits it in her lap. The cat always looks vaguely surprised and mildly annoyed, but then the attention starts and he settles down.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labs can be problematical however. I have a long time friend who has raised dogs for 40 years, including labs. Whenever he has an employee who he finds "difficult," he likens that person to a Lab, i.e., "you have to get their attention, and the only way to do that is to hit them broadside over their foreheads with a 2 X 4." My son has one of those who he thinks reigns supreme. The dog is a behavior disaster. I gave my son a large 2 X 4 for Christmas. He was not amused. :+

You're right, I was thinking more of Borders and Shelties than of Rough Collies (the Smooths are more like the other two breeds), but some bloodlines of Roughs are pretty nervous, and one of the most high strung dogs I ever dealt with was a Rough. By the way, don't believe the breeders who say that Beardies don't need grooming--that coat needs to be brushed regularly, because it matts, and it can smell when it gets wet.

All dogs, of course, are individuals, no matter what the tendencies of the breed in general. There are two very lovable Scotties lying next to me, and although they have many similar characteristics, one plays well with others, while the other one would satisfy Michael Vick.

The problem with many purebred dogs it that when they become popular they often become a problem. Puppy mills in some states mass produce these popular dogs with little or NO regard for the individual dogs or the breed’s physical or emotional needs. Three good examples are: 1.) American Cocker Spaniels – The movie “Lady and the Tramp” virtually destroyed the breed. Cockers which were by nature sweet and loving became aggressive, nippy, intolerant of children and, difficult to train. Grooming is also a pain for those who are not aware of what is involved in owning a cocker (I comb mine every evening to her disgust), 2.) Dalmatians – The movie “101 Dalmatians” had parents rushing out to buy cute Dalmatian puppies for their children without realizing that they are not generally that good with children. Dalmatians can also be stubborn, hard to train, and do much better in places where they have lots of room to run around – they are NOT really city dogs, 3.) Chihuahuas – The Taco Bell TV Ad really did this breed in. Children all over the country wanted one yet Chihuahuas are usually not a good choice for households with small children – they are too small and sensitive by nature. They do, however, work well in apartments and with the elderly.

The reason so many purebreds end of in rescue facilities or in the local animal control center is that people are too stupid or lazy to do sufficient research prior to making their purchase. Research is the key word in selecting the type of purebred dog with which one can live. Another good rule of thumb is to never buy a dog from a pet store – one has NO way of knowing from where these dogs have come and how the were bred and raised. Do research, find a good breeder, and visit their kennel to see how the puppies behave in their home environment and around a stranger.

RE: Dogs? - AKC Lists Top 10 Dog Breeds

Well what a coincidence. All this talk about dogs and the American Kennel Club releases the Top 10 List for 2007.

Here's a few links on the story.

http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3408

Top 10 by City

http://www.akc.org/reg/topdogsbycity.cfm

Yahoo News Item

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080116/us_nm/usa_dogs_dc_2

The bulldog returns to the list after a 75 year absence. The list is as follows:

2007 Most Popular Dogs in the U.S.

1. Labrador Retriever

2. Yorkshire Terrier

3. German Shepherd Dog

4. Golden Retriever

5. Beagle

6. Boxer

7. Dachshund

8. Poodle

9. Shih Tzu

10. Bulldog

Like you, I've had dogs all my life: Cocker spaniel, boxer, chesapeake retriever, llasa apso, and for the last 25 years three generations of female yellow labs (with 26 puppies from the first two labs). Alas, the last of my labs recently had to be put down at age 15 because of hip problems which unfortunately are so common with this breed. I am presently without a canine companion myself, but have to say that the yellow labs were without a doubt the best of the best that I have ever had the privilege to own. Loving, playful, loyal, great with kids and adults alike, wonderful companions that fully became part of my life and family. You really can't go wrong with any breed that you treat with love and respect and sensitivity.Being a "dog person" I think you know what I mean. Having the yard space to allow them to run and play is a bonus. Two dogs at once, especially with labs, is a plus because they love the company when you are not available. A single lab can often try your patience with their inquisitiveness, especially during their first three years. Enough said. Good luck with your final choice and many years of happiness to you and your new dog(s).

Unclebucks

Well, here is the downside to it all, boys..

After all my bragging in my ealrlier post, I opened my front door today and my little dog, the heart of my house, my absolute best friend darted out the door because she saw this contractor across the street who was coming to get a key to the house he was working on for me....darted out the door, right into the street, and she was by me before I knew it....I started screaming her name and then just had to turn around because all I could see was all the cars. I heard a thud and her yelping. When I turned around, she was on her side by the curb. I ran over and picked her up and she didn't whine or cry. We (the contractors and I ) rushed her to the vet and she is totally OK. No broken bones, no internal injuries, no concussion. Nothing.

She is home with me now, eating, drinking, pottying, sleeping. Herself.

I have had alot of bad things happen in the last 18 months. So much so, that it is hard to still believe that good things are still possible.

But, boys, I got a fucking miracle today. And I am humbled and so grateful.

Okie

I have had several dogs and love them. I once got two golden retrievers, (both bitches from the same litter) as I didn't have as much time to be with them as I had before. I thought they would keep each other company. They did, unfortunately, they had no interest in me, and were constantly trying each other out in dominance issues. I talked to a friend of mine who is a national champion in obedience and she said that my problem was getting them at the same time. Dogs are pack animals, they need the company of a pack, and pine without it; however, they also have dominance issues. They don't do co-executives. If you get two animals, get them some time apart so that you have the chance to establish yourself as the alpha with the first. When the second arrives he (or she, although I wouldn't recommend getting different genders as that complicates their pack relationship also) get to sort out their own pack relationship, but you have already been established as the alpha.

Archived