Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Did my weekly shopping today. Bought some Brats at the farmers market and she used to charge $6 and today it was $8.75, huge jump. The grocery store only had organic ground beef and I saw from a facebook friend from my hometown yesterday Wendy's ran out of hamburgers (he said that would be like going to Starbucks and them being out of coffee). Hope this doesn't mean beef will be horded next.

Unfortunately they're about to start running out of food.

There is absolutely no evidence of an upcoming food shortage here in the Southwest.

Today I saw a rare sight at my local Safeway - a display of toilet paper! At 6:00 PM, no less.

Civilization returns to Central Phoenix.

This afternoon I had to go back to the same store to pick up a prescription and noticed tabout ten packages each of two brands of paper towels (Fiora and Brawny) and about six packages of Safeway brand paper towels. Didn't buy any, but saw someone try to buy two packages (limit is one) and the store refused to sell the second one.

There is absolutely no evidence of an upcoming food shortage here in the Southwest.

You don't get evidence of upcoming food shortages. They happen. The evidence is meat processing plants are shutting down because of the coronavirus epidemic all over the midwest. Farm workers and other food processors and haulers are following. It will probably be a week or two before we see the effect. Other factory workers are also falling ill and refusing to work. To whatever extent the southwest is independent of the midwest prosessing plants you may be safer. I wish it weren't true that we're in for scarcity.

Edited by tassojunior

You don't get evidence of upcoming food shortages. They happen. The evidence is meat processing plants are shutting down because of the coronavirus epidemic all over the midwest. Farm workers and other food processors and haulers are following. It will probably be a week or two before we see the effect. Other factory workers are also falling ill and refusing to work. To whatever extent the southwest is independent of the midwest prosessing plants you may be safer. I wish it weren't true that we're in for scarcity.

If that happens, we’re going to see some real fireworks.

Are others seeing a rapid breakdown in Amazon? What was 2-day (and becoming 1-day) has become a minimum of 2 weeks to even get on the Amazon truck on about 20 things I've ordered directly from Amazon the past couple weeks. I also saw a video online of someone at a FedEx Ground distribution center where a truckload of boxes was on the ground outside and someone said they would not be sorted for two weeks. If warehouses/fulfillment centers/distribution centers are breaking down this could get very painful fast right at the time we should be converting to more online orders.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7qdwa/fedexs-ceo-says-its-protecting-workers-video-from-a-warehouse-tells-a-different-story

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/coronavirus-amazon-fedex-ups-houston-workers-mail-15202321.php#photo-19300077

https://fox13now.com/2019/12/18/fedex-not-delivering-your-packages-customers-say-delays-are-lasting-weeks/

Edited by tassojunior

Are others seeing a rapid breakdown in Amazon? What was 2-day (and becoming 1-day) has become a minimum of 2 weeks to even get on the Amazon truck on about 20 things I've ordered directly from Amazon the past couple weeks. I also saw a video online of someone at a FedEx Ground distribution center where a truckload of boxes was on the ground outside and someone said they would not be sorted for two weeks. If warehouses/fulfillment centers/distribution centers are breaking down this could get very painful fast right at the time we should be converting to more online orders.

I did see this...for a while.

But yesterday and today things I’ve ordered are back on 2-3 day delivery. I suspect local warehouses and the employees there may make this a local variable issue.

Man wears KKK hood while grocery shopping in California

A day after San Diego residents were required to wear face coverings in public, a man went grocery shopping while wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood, according to a report.

The hooded creep was seen roaming the aisles of a Von supermarket in the San Diego County city of Santee on Saturday, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

Store clerks repeatedly asked the man to remove the hood or leave the premises.

A supervisor approached him at the checkout line and asked him again to take off the hood or leave, company spokeswoman Melissa Hill told the newspaper.

The man finally removed the hood, bought his items and left.

“At Vons, fostering an environment of courtesy, dignity and respect is one of our highest priorities, and we work hard to hold everyone in our stores to these standards, including customers,” Hill said.

“San Diego is #NoPlaceForHate,” Tammy Gillies, regional director of the Anti-Defamation League in San Diego, said on Twitter.

Santee Mayor John Minto and residents said on social media that the man’s actions did not represent the values of the city of almost 60,000 residents.

“Many thanks to all who stepped forward to curtail this sad reminder of intolerance,” Minto said. “Santee, its leaders and I will not tolerate such behavior.”

The city has tried over the years to overcome a history of racially motivated incidents that led to nicknames such as “Klantee” and “Santucky.”

“So troublesome in so many ways this is still happening in Santee at Vons,” resident Tiam Tellez wrote on Facebook. “Disgusting!”

County Supervisor Dianne Jacobs also condemned the shopper’s actions.

“The images I’ve seen are abhorrent,” she said in a statement. “This blatant racism has no place in Santee or any part of San Diego County. It is not who we are. It is not what we stand for and can’t be tolerated.”

Hill, the store’s rep, said: “This was a disturbing incident for our associates and customers, and we are reviewing with our team how to best handle such inappropriate situations in the future.”

SEE ALSO

Covidiot cuts hole in mask to make it 'easier to breathe'

kkk-hood.jpg

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7qdwa/fedexs-ceo-says-its-protecting-workers-video-from-a-warehouse-tells-a-different-story

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/coronavirus-amazon-fedex-ups-houston-workers-mail-15202321.php#photo-19300077

https://fox13now.com/2019/12/18/fedex-not-delivering-your-packages-customers-say-delays-are-lasting-weeks/

Not so much with Amazon but have been having some issues with the USPS on priority mail packages being held up. I ordered something from an amazon seller and it's been stuck in Detroit for over a week now and have another package I ordered from another company that has been held at the USPS Pittsburg sorting center for almost a week.

Well today being Monday I did my weekly grocery run. Started at Stater Bros. Well stocked with everything except the usual suspects: toilet paper, paper towels, dried pasta, and bottled pasta sauces. No shortage of all types of meats; beef, chicken, fish, and pork. Didn't need much so didn't buy much. Stopped at Costco for the first time during the old folks hour. Line was quite long but not awful . They are now stocking their own brand of paper towels and toilet paper both of which I like. No lack of toilet paper but the paper towels were set to run out soon after I bought mine. The meat situation was interesting. Lots of beef, chicken and ground turkey. One old geezer must have put at least ten or more packages of ground turkey in his basket - go figure. Virtually no pork except marinated spareribs. The one thing I wanted was a two pack of Worcestershire Sauce and can you believe it they didn't have any.

Not so much with Amazon but have been having some issues with the USPS on priority mail packages being held up. I ordered something from an amazon seller and it's been stuck in Detroit for over a week now and have another package I ordered from another company that has been held at the USPS Pittsburg sorting center for almost a week.

I sent some masks to a friend in NYC by Priority Mail on April 14th from Kansas City. They arrived on May 1st?. They were in the Post Office supplied envelope marked “Priority Mail” so it was clear how it was supposed to be expedited.

DEAR ABBY: I work in the deli department of a grocery store and have been struggling lately. With everything that is going on, people are overwhelmed and have been taking it out on us.

I asked one person, "How are you doing today?" The response I got was, "I'm not interested in conversation. Just feed me!" Another who came to the register didn't utter a single word except to exclaim, when I offered her a bottle opener for her soda, "I've got it!" Then she snatched her change out of my hand. I don't even get the brunt of it; the cashiers have to handle the worst of it.

We employees are stressed out about the same things everyone else is. We are struggling to get the same products everyone else is searching desperately for. I had to shop at five different stores to get what I need and still haven't found many things.

Between the stress of the virus and the stress of being treated so rudely, my mental health is running low. I have struggled on and off with depression and anxiety, and many of my coping methods are unavailable to me due to closures. Could you please remind your readers that we are all in the same boat and need to be kind to one another, and direct those of us who are struggling emotionally to resources we can access during this time of panic? -- STRUGGLING IN RETAIL

DEAR STRUGGLING: I agree that many people react badly when under stress, as the customers you described have done. But many others respect and appreciate the efforts you and so many others in the food supply chain make every day -- at some risk to your own health. I am one of them.

Because you have had issues with depression and anxiety in the past, consider contacting the therapist you worked with and ask if the person is doing online sessions. These days, many of them are. Just talking with someone -- friends or like-minded co-workers -- about what you are experiencing could bring some relief.

However, if that isn't possible, consider exploring whether there are online support groups for retail workers such as you. If there aren't, consider starting one so you and others can exchange ideas about coping with these extremely stressful circumstances in which we all find ourselves.

Did my weekly shopping today. Bought some Brats at the farmers market and she used to charge $6 and today it was $8.75, huge jump. The grocery store only had organic ground beef and I saw from a facebook friend from my hometown yesterday Wendy's ran out of hamburgers (he said that would be like going to Starbucks and them being out of coffee). Hope this doesn't mean beef will be horded next.

One thing to remember about Wendy’s is they only use fresh (never frozen) hamburger meat. In-N-Out too.

They will feel it sooner than chains that have at least some frozen reserve. Major chains like McDonalds are allocating meat to restaurants to ensure individual operators don’t hoard supply.

I'm trying my first JewelOsco (Chicagoland) delivery tomorrow. Hoping I am not disappointed. I realized after I submitted order, that I would like to add something and can't find a way to add, only edit what is already in cart. And Chicago friends got advice on that?

Thanks