Pandemic preparation? ?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1512 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you need distilled water in a pinch, boil filtered water or even tap water. It's basically the same thing.

Not really....

Q:

Is it true that boiled tap water is the same as distilled water?

- Laura (age 50)

Kentucky

A:

Nope. Tap water has dissolved minerals in it. If you boil the water, but obviously not enough to boil it all away, some water will leave as vapor, so the water left will have a higher concentration of minerals than at the start. Distilled water is what you get if you gather that water vapor on some cool surface. It's almost pure water, with the minerals and other impurities left behind.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really....

Q:

Is it true that boiled tap water is the same as distilled water?

- Laura (age 50)

Kentucky

A:

Nope. Tap water has dissolved minerals in it. If you boil the water, but obviously not enough to boil it all away, some water will leave as vapor, so the water left will have a higher concentration of minerals than at the start. Distilled water is what you get if you gather that water vapor on some cool surface. It's almost pure water, with the minerals and other impurities left behind.

Tap water, or boiled tap water isn't the same as distilled water, but that's not really the question. The real question is what do you need from the water. If mineral purity is the issue then distilled water may be what is needed, if what is needed is biologically safe water then boiling it may be enough.

Paper masks don't work.

ESc_gwrUEAEdve9?format=jpg&name=900x900

I hope that people realize that, for the general public, the point of wearing the mask is so that you don't spread the virus to someone else. They don't protect you from getting the virus.

Same ethos as getting a vaccination. You primarily do it for other people, to build up the herd immunity, not for yourself.

Edited by RealAvalon

This from John Hopkins. An animated map of the spread of the virus.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/map-watch-how-covid-19-traveled-the-world

I've been watching this one from Hopkins. Not sure why it doesn't link through your cite. It is the best, most current.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I just returned from Amsterdam 1 week ago and all was semi-ordinary. I have two friends coming from Prague Thursday and I worry that the flight may cancel. That's how fast the thing has overtaken Europe. Italy was a sudden disaster and now France and Germany are collapsing.

I've been watching this one from Hopkins. Not sure why it doesn't link through your cite. It is the best, most current.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I just returned from Amsterdam 1 week ago and all was semi-ordinary. I have two friends coming from Prague Thursday and I worry that the flight may cancel. That's how fast the thing has overtaken Europe. Italy was a sudden disaster and now France and Germany are collapsing.

No where is “collapsing”. It’s not the zombie apocalypse. It could highly disruptive but we won’t be riding around in fire breathing SUVs mad-max style.

No where is “collapsing”. It’s not the zombie apocalypse. It could highly disruptive but we won’t be riding around in fire breathing SUVs mad-max style.

I was speaking of air travel. And it's the panic. We'll see what happens when NYC or LA suddenly hits thousands of cases and hundreds of dead. Around Milan is in that now. Total shutdown.

@Charlie just announced over in the Palm Spgs forum weekend thread that the Indian Wells tennis tourney, one of the biggest annual events in the Palm Springs area and a major national tennis event, has been entirely cancelled this year.....it was set to start tomorrow......the huge Coachella music festival, set for mid-April in the same area, may be cancelled....no decision yet......

the legendary SXSW festival in Austin, set to start on March 16, has also been cancelled......

I probably have missed other equally big events.......dozens of smaller events and conventions, of course, have also been cancelled across the country......

I certainly assume there'll be continuing announcements of big cancellations in the immediate coming weeks.......enormous impact in many ways on many people......

Terrible pun by Ms Crabb.

[MEDIA=twitter]1237161396904722432[/MEDIA]

In summary Qantas is cutting international services by about 25% from April to September because of reduced forward demand. All services by A380s except SYD_LAX will be operated by smaller aircraft, BNE and MEL-SFO flights will be suspended and SYD-SFO will be operated by the larger B747 rather than B787. Some Singapore services will go from two to one daily flights but will be operated by larger aircraft. Eight of the A380s will be parked, two more will have heavy maintenance and cabin upgrades, leaving two operating. The airline will bring forward maintenance to put the period of reduced operations to good use.

The CDC estimates that during the 2019 flu season 30,000 Americans will have died. If one divides that number by 365 it come out that on average 82.19 Americans died on a daily basis. Now how many Americans have thus far died from the coronavirus? Furthermore I would like to know the AGE of all those who have died. I would also like to have a brief description of the medical condition, of those who died, at the time they contracted the virus.

The CDC estimates that during the 2019 flu season 30,000 Americans will have died. If one divides that number by 365 it come out that on average 82.19 Americans died on a daily basis. Now how many Americans have thus far died from the coronavirus? Furthermore I would like to know the AGE of all those who have died. I would also like to have a brief description of the medical condition, of those who died, at the time they contracted the virus.

It's a false dilemma. Seasonal flu spreads everywhere, this virus hasn't done so [yet]. So the exposure of the whole country to it isn't the same as that of seasonal flu. Also, the flu is mitigated by vaccine and this virus is not, so there is no 'immunity' that will reduce its effect, and hence there is a greater fear factor. The lack of any base-level immunity also means that local coronavirus effects will not be constrained in the way that local effects of influenza would be.

We don't yet know what the mortality will be from this virus. It may be less than that of seasonal influenza, but it's too early to say so. It's dangerous, and in Italy the percentage of deaths has been high, In the US, testing is next to non-existent so we don't know the percentage of infections that result in serious disease, or if people have died without being diagnosed with the disease. It may end up being a nothing-burger but it's far too early to say that it is.