Mayonnaise

sync
This topic is 1504 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably not the only one with European visitors a lot for whom mayonnaise is a major issue. They of course use it on french fries instead of ketchup but also on steak, on pork and on a lot of veggies. But European mayonnaise can't have these "longer shelf life" additives so they assume mayonnaise is bad after a week at most. They insist on buying their own because they want to throw it away after 2 or 3 days, expiration date be damned. So many gallons of perfectly good mayonnaise have gone in my trash over the years. (and no, they won't consider mayonnaise packets).

In general I don't think I've noticed Hellmann's tasting different from the past. But it's sold as Best Foods Mayonnaise on the West Coast. )My understanding is the two companies combined a long time ago, and the Best Foods brand was the name on the West Coast. There was an IHOP like restaurant in Washington state called Shari's. Their containers of Best Food Mayo said they didn't require refrigeration. I always thought their mayo didn't taste quite like the same brand I bought at my grocery store. I wondered if it were due to the restaurant's supply not being routinely refrigerated.

Gman

Thanks to you all for your responses. Much of my issue was brought onto myself by my own self-doubt. My use of mayonnaise is only occasionally. Fairly recently, when I re-opened a jar of Hellmann's, I thought it was a bit thin and it had a faint vinegary odor that I had not noticed before. Thinking that I had been careless with it, I discarded that jar and opened a new jar. The new jar had that same thin consistency and faint vinegary odor. It was only after a couple batches of potato salad that tasted a bit off to me that I dared to challenge the integrity of the iconic mayonnaise.

In general I don't think I've noticed Hellmann's tasting different from the past. But it's sold as Best Foods Mayonnaise on the West Coast. )My understanding is the two companies combined a long time ago, and the Best Foods brand was the name on the West Coast.

Growing up in the midwest, now 25+ years west coast....I have a new appreciation of the jingle I grew up hearing

"When they bring out the Hellman's, they bring out the Best!"

Interestingly, I find Hellmans here in CA in the low-end stores, like Big Lots, Grocery Outlet.

I still believe Hellmans to be the best commercial, shelf-stable taste. I've tried a few gourmet refrigerated brands, and found them to be worse.

Any time I am serving a mayo-based sauce to company... I make my own. There's no comparison.

Growing up in the midwest, now 25+ years west coast....I have a new appreciation of the jingle I grew up hearing

"When they bring out the Hellman's, they bring out the Best!"

Interestingly, I find Hellmans here in CA in the low-end stores, like Big Lots, Grocery Outlet.

I still believe Hellmans to be the best commercial, shelf-stable taste. I've tried a few gourmet refrigerated brands, and found them to be worse.

Any time I am serving a mayo-based sauce to company... I make my own. There's no comparison.

I thought it was "AND bring out the best!"

Does homemade taste more like aioli? I've only had aioli at restaurants. And while I love garlic, and I like mayo, for some reason, aioli has never really appealed to me. I'll eat it. But if I see it's being offered ahead of time, I'll usually ask them to substitute mayo.

Gman

By now most posters here are no longer made uncomfortable by my paranoia, so, here it comes again: has anyone else experienced the sensation that the taste of Hellmann's Mayonnaise has changed, and not in a good way?

I’ve thought that lately too. I just attributed it changing tastes due to age and meds.

I normally buy the mayo with the Best Foods label, and I have a vague sense that the consistency is slightly thinner than it used to be, but I really haven't noticed any change in the taste. That said, I only use small quantities, and almost exclusively on sandwiches, where it is overwhelmed by other flavors.

Besides sandwiches, the only thing I really use it with are the salads; egg, potato, broccoli. I especially like broccoli as a side salad because people seldom have it and so it is just not the same thing again. Plus it has raisins to sweeten it. And nuts if you like.