Mayonnaise

sync
This topic is 1504 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Besides sandwiches, the only thing I really use it with are the salads; egg, potato, broccoli. I especially like broccoli as a side salad because people seldom have it and so it is just not the same thing again. Plus it has raisins to sweeten it. And nuts if you like.

And bacon!

My mother would occasionally make tuna salad with mustard when I was growing up. I think she made it mainly for my brother as he didn't like mayonnaise. She said that was the way my grandmother made it. It's not bad. But I prefer mayo. Although thinking about mustard tuna has made me nostalgic. I might mix some up sometime soon

If you just want to try it, buy the one cup pouch. The label doesn't specifically say "sugar free", but the Nutrition Facts say zero grams sugar.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/pouchreal.png

They didn't have just a pouch at Walmart.

I’ve not seen their packaging say “sugar free”, although it’s made without sugar. See labels here, none say “sugar free”? The one in my fridge doesn’t say it either.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/products/

Real Mayonnaise. The second bottle from the right says "Sugar Free".

~Boomer~

Good eye...actually the first bottle on the left too!

Great eye. I totally missed that.

~Boomer~

This was the bottle they had at Walmart. As you can see the label says 'sugar free' in the middle at the bottom.

IMG_0125.PNG?raw=1

Gman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does the 'sugar-free' mean they use a sugar substitute, or just literally that it doesn't' include sugar or any other additional sweetener?

If you look at the ingredients there is no sugar and no sugar substitutes.

Mayonnaise doesn’t need sugar. Got me looking at my Best Foods jar, and yes down the list of ingredients is sugar? Maybe added in to enhance the USA flavor profile.

But, I’ve made homemade mayonnaise a dozen different ways, and not one of those methods has sugar.

I've wondered if sugar is one of the differences between Miracle Whip and mayo. I've only had Miracle Whip a few times in my life, but it tastes sweeter to me.

One comparison here:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/miracle-whip-vs-mayo

From other looking around Looks like Best Foods Mayo has 0/0 sugars/carbs

Miracle Whip 1/2 sugars/carbs

Personal note...I can not stand, stomach, tolerate Miracle Whip ?just don’t like it.

Edited by MikeBiDude

All my salads get Hellmans "light" Mayo..... I was raised on the original, now slightly aware of health , I use the light version....

"Mayo makes the medicine go down", and what's a slice of white bread without a slather of mayo ?

Being in isolation, I may even start "talking" to the mayo ? :oops::oops:

I found that my mayo and Dijon mustard had expired, so I went to my hipster grocery store and bought a 32 oz. jar of Spectrum organic mayonnaise. It does have organic honey, but no sugar.

I use chopped shallots, mayonnais, Dijon mustard and a few shots of Trader Joe’s hot chili sauce in my albacore tuna salad. Yummy!

I found that my mayo and Dijon mustard had expired, so I went to my hipster grocery store and bought a 32 oz. jar of Spectrum organic mayonnaise. It does have organic honey, but no sugar.

I use chopped shallots, mayonnais, Dijon mustard and a few shots of Trader Joe’s hot chili sauce in my albacore tuna salad. Yummy!

Well as long as we are giving recipes-mayo, lots of mayo, did I mention the mayo, chopped picked, hard boiled eggs, and onions.

For the

pièce de résistance, I add curry powder.

It's delicious!!

Gman

I'm one of those crazies who eats mayonnaise, by the tablespoon, right out of the jar -- I love it. My mother always used Best Foods and so do I. Making mayonnaise is really quite easy. All one needs is a neutral oil, eggs, a little lemon juice, a pinch of salt plus ane good blender. The problem with home made mayonnaise is that it can be dangerous. It should NEVER be used on or in picnic food unless the food can be kept very cool right up to the time of consumption. Some people are even afraid to use commercial on picnic food. They needn't be because as it is pasteurized and thus not a health threat.

Edited by Epigonos

Well as long as we are giving recipes-mayo, lots of mayo, did I mention the mayo, chopped picked, hard boiled eggs, and onions.

For the

pièce de résistance, I add curry powder.

It's delicious!!

Gman

I pretty much have a similar recipe for my Deviled eggs, but have found curry powder to be an interesting addition to many things, like TUNA salad.... Bon apetite !

I'm one of those crazies who eats mayonnaise, by the tablespoon, right out of the jar -- I love it. My mother always used Best Foods and so do I. Making mayonnaise is really quite easy. All one needs is a neutral oil, eggs, a little lemon juice, a pinch of salt plus ane good blender. The problem with home made mayonnaise is that it can be dangerous. It should NEVER be used on picnic food unless the food can be kept very cool right up to the time of consumption. Some people are even afraid to use commercial on picnic food. They needn't be because as it is pasteurized and thus not a health threat.

If I did that, I would be able to hear my arteries "clogging" as I swallowed it... not sure my cardiologist would be too happy. ? ;)

I pretty much have a similar recipe for my Deviled eggs, but have found curry powder to be an interesting addition to many things, like TUNA salad.... Bon apetite !

One of my favorites, if on the menu, at a Tapas place is the cold chicken salad with curry mayo. Ummm.

I tend not to believe the use by or best by dates on things like mayo or mustard. On @Gar1eth's point on curry in mayonnaise, there is a commercial line here of peri peri mayonnaise, which I think is great.

Slight correction, @mike carey. While there does end up being curry in the mayonnaise, I was actually talking about adding the curry to tuna salad.

Gman