Mayonnaise

sync
This topic is 1504 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered a small jar of Dukes from Amazon to give it a try!

I've noticed some at my local Walmart lately. But I haven't tried it yet.

Here's an article on comparison of mayos. They liked Duke's. But it would have to be really, really good to beat out Hellmann's in my opinion.

https://food52.com/blog/22456-we-taste-tested-8-mayos-and-lived-to-tell-the-tale

Gman

Guest europeanman
I'm probably not the only one with European visitors a lot for whom mayonnaise is a major issue. They of course use it on french fries instead of ketchup but also on steak, on pork and on a lot of veggies. But European mayonnaise can't have these "longer shelf life" additives so they assume mayonnaise is bad after a week at most. They insist on buying their own because they want to throw it away after 2 or 3 days, expiration date be damned. So many gallons of perfectly good mayonnaise have gone in my trash over the years. (and no, they won't consider mayonnaise packets).

I tried to make my own. It is supposed to be easy but I failed. So I am buying from my delicatessen some from small producers. I use it with fish. Also mixed with mustard on potato salads and vinaigrette. And now that I mentioned mustard, this is another major issue... :)

I've noticed some at my local Walmart lately. But I haven't tried it yet.

Here's an article on comparison of mayos. They liked Duke's. But it would have to be really, really good to beat out Hellmann's in my opinion.

https://food52.com/blog/22456-we-taste-tested-8-mayos-and-lived-to-tell-the-tale

Gman

Received my 8 oz. jar of Dukes mayonnaise. A life long West Coast Best Foods guy here...I was very impressed by the flavor and texture of the Dukes. I will reorder when it’s used up. I’ll bet it makes killer river road remoulade.

Thanks @Benjamin_Nicholas for the heads up to try it!

You posh people are too fancy - we little people go with Goya brand! They even took care of the mayo and ketchup mixing thing!:p

411HiJVEeEL._SX425_.jpg

Isn't that just the base for thousand island dressing? I'm not knocking it, just don't think it's so special. :)

You posh people are too fancy - we little people go with Goya brand! They even took care of the mayo and ketchup mixing thing!:p

411HiJVEeEL._SX425_.jpg

Well if you are bringing up Goya, I'm going to have call your hand with Durkee. My Grandmother used to buy it. My sister loved it. I was never that fond of it as a child. But maybe I should try it again.

48172519-386b-4483-a5d6-e681327bd8fc_1.d023908f534c981959ebaa8700b37178.jpeg

Gman

funeral potatoes

I forget about these...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_potatoes

The dish usually consists of hash browns or cubed potatoes, cheese (cheddar or Parmesan), onions, cream soup (chicken, mushroom, or celery) or a cream sauce, sour cream, and a topping of butter with corn flakes or crushed potato chips. Ingredients in some variations include cubed baked ham, frozen peas, or broccoli florets.

I forget about these...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_potatoes

The dish usually consists of hash browns or cubed potatoes, cheese (cheddar or Parmesan), onions, cream soup (chicken, mushroom, or celery) or a cream sauce, sour cream, and a topping of butter with corn flakes or crushed potato chips. Ingredients in some variations include cubed baked ham, frozen peas, or broccoli florets.

When a friend gave me her mother’s recipe, it was titled Party Potatos.

And now that we've broken the barrier with Goya and Durkee (you called it "Durkee's in your post, @azdr0710. I thought that's what the name was too until I pulled up the picture.) I have to now bring up Crosse and Blackwell's Mustard Chow Chow. They've changed the label since I was a youngster as I don't remember it being this color or saying Piccalilli on it. Also the pickles and cauliflowers are in much smaller pieces than they were when I was a child. It's probably my favorite yellow mustard although I can't remember the last time I bought it.

418x50H5GvL._SX425_.jpg

Gman

• 3 months later...
I'm a Duke's man myself

Thanks for the lead. Duke's Mayonnaise is available at my local Walmart, I'll give it a try.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2r3ux5MHuRUbqqyS1f0i6zzz9OpCXy3GZWS3Z0ov9oMH8YywP&s

I just ordered a small jar of Dukes from Amazon to give it a try!

Received my 8 oz. jar of Dukes mayonnaise. A life long West Coast Best Foods guy here...I was very impressed by the flavor and texture of the Dukes. I will reorder when it’s used up. I’ll bet it makes killer river road remoulade.

Thanks @Benjamin_Nicholas for the heads up to try it!

Since several of y'all liked Duke's, I thought I'd give it a try. At my Walmart, all the bottles were labeled "sugar-free" although the labels then went on "to say" that it wasn't a low calorie food.

My question is-whether Duke's is normally sugar-free, or if that is a special version. To give Duke's a fair chance with me, I want to taste the original version.

Gman

Besides sandwiches, the only thing I really use it with are the salads; egg, potato, broccoli. I especially like broccoli as a side salad because people seldom have it and so it is just not the same thing again. Plus it has raisins to sweeten it. And nuts if you like.

And bacon!

Since several of y'all liked Duke's, I thought I'd give it a try. At my Walmart, all the bottles were labeled "sugar-free" although the labels then went on "to say" that it wasn't a low calorie food.

My question is-whether Duke's is normally sugar-free, or if that is a special version. To give Duke's a fair chance with me, I want to taste the original version.

Gman

If you just want to try it, buy the one cup pouch. The label doesn't specifically say "sugar free", but the Nutrition Facts say zero grams sugar.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/pouchreal.png

Gman

I’ve not seen their packaging say “sugar free”, although it’s made without sugar. See labels here, none say “sugar free”? The one in my fridge doesn’t say it either.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/products/