What's your favorite pie?

This topic is 1622 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

An appropriate Thanksgiving topic. I usually bring the pies for Thanksgiving. One is always pumpkin, because that seems to be the family tradition. The other is a berry pie, because that's my favorite. I don't like mincemeat pies. Not too fond of pecan. Other ones I really like are key lime and peach. Apple's OK.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like pumpkin, Boston creme pie, strawberry rhubarb pie, pecan pie (although it can be too rich), sweet potato pie, blueberry pie and apple pie, but maybe my favorite is cranberry. Alex Guaraneschelli has a cranberry pie recipe I've made a few times that is absolutely delicious.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/sugar-cranberry-pie-recipe-1922384

I like cherry and blueberry pie as long as they are not too sweet. Most pumpkin and apple pies are just too damn sweet.

My mother made a terrific pumpkin pie. It was full of cinnamon and nutmeg, but not very sweet. Her apple pie was her finest accomplishment. The apples were crisp and tart and she used very little sugar but lots of cinnamon.

Any pie I make! LOL

I can make them all...I’m partial to fruit pies, rhubarb, don’t like strawberry “pie” but I do like mixing strawberries into the rhubarb then being able to cut back on the sugar a bit.

Chickens and turkey pot pies as well!

My favorite go to pie crust comes from these guys...enjoy the “pie candy” in the link

Piefolk

Definitely pumpkin pie made from an actual pumpkin and not the canned filling, for Thanksgiving (with a dollop of whipped cream since not enough calories in the pie itself:)! Mincemeat tarts/pie are great for Christmas but this time I do like the commercial filling and not the real micemeat made with actual meat.

Whatever is being served.

Back in the day when I was still a mere youngster, there was this small bake shop in south Minneapolis run by this grumpy, old black dude and a skinny white lady with gray hair (his wife?).

That was the first place I ever had sweet potato pie. You could take away by the slice. I had never heard of such a thing, sweet potato pie, and I expect most of the Scandahoovian types living up there hadn't either. Yet we were a daring lot or at least I was that day I tried to impress the skinny lady with gray hair that I was going to try a piece of the sweet potato pie. I loved it, and ordered an entire pie to bring to gay brunch at a friends over in Powderhorn Park the next weekend. There were some wrinkled noses and even a look of horror on some of their faces when I explained to the gay brunch folk what it was, but soon enough I heard a coworker summon his partner, "honey you have to try this". It didn't suck after all.

I stopped going to that shop, not one to put up with such a grumpy proprietor. Sadly I haven't tasted such good sweet potato pie since then. There was that viral thing not long ago on YouTube about Patti LaBelle's sweet potato pie sold at Walmart. I'll just say that you get what you pay for. I expect if I gave it some effort I might be able to find some good sweet potato pie somewhere here in LA.

Edited by E.T.Bass

i have a box of the dried version in my pantry. i can't make up my mind if i should use rum or something else to rehydrate it.

rum, for sure! You can never go wrong using rum.....just be sure to use an “everyday” rum - maybe Gosling’s black seal or Cruzan. Don’t use the good rum for this, but don‘t use Bacardi white either!!