What's your favorite pie?

This topic is 1636 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I stopped going to that shop, not one to put up with such a grumpy proprietor.

Shall we call him the "Pie nazi"? :p

BTW I vote for Mississippi mud pie. Total chocoholic experience! [Tho I think the best ones are more like an ice cream cake than a pie, nevertheless still good.]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently read on some internet blog (so it HAS to be true lol) that there is no more pumpkin in canned pumpkin pie filling. Instead Libby and others have developed a squash that looks and tastes like pumpkin but takes less space and water to grow. Saves them a lot of money. For me it doesn’t really matter. By the time I add my pumpkin spices (not pumpkin spice), eggs and condensed milk the importance of the “pumpkin” has diminished a bit.

And if you’re looking to make real mincemeat, there’s what appears to be a good recipe on page 44 of the current issue of Taste of Home magazine that among its many ingredients are equal parts meat and rum. Let us know how it comes out.

Being from New England, I grew up with squash pie and much prefer it to pumpkin:) and REAL mincemeat (with venison) is an all time FAVORITE, back in the day, I had a student I helped a lot and his Mother would gift me several quarts of REAL mincemeat --

Being from New England, I grew up with squash pie and much prefer it to pumpkin:) and REAL mincemeat (with venison) is an all time FAVORITE, back in the day, I had a student I helped a lot and his Mother would gift me several quarts of REAL mincemeat --

I too grew up in New England and the big family feasts always included both squash and pumpkin pies together with apple and pecan. Mincemeat was relegated to wonderful crust covered squares. I’d forgotten how much I liked squash pie. Thanks @HornyRetiree.

I'm a pie lover but pumpkin pie is my least favorite -- for some reason pumpkin always tastes soapy to me. When I was growing up a distant relative always brought a mincemeat pie for the family Thanksgiving Dinner. She made it with venison and it was to die for. Unfortunately when she died she took the recipe with her. Would love to find a recipe.

I'm a pie lover but pumpkin pie is my least favorite -- for some reason pumpkin always tastes soapy to me. When I was growing up a distant relative always brought a mincemeat pie for the family Thanksgiving Dinner. She made it with venison and it was to die for. Unfortunately when she died she took the recipe with her. Would love to find a recipe.

@Epigonos I believe the recipe I cited in post 44 above might interest you. As I remember, it calls for chopped beef but I suspect you could substitute venison.